Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 06:35 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,575,697 times

Advertisements

I take Chamomile capsules. A whole one makes me sleepy the next day though. So I open the capsule and squeeze out about 1/3 of the powder on my hand and just take that. I fall asleep quickly and sleep through the night. Good luck, insomnia is awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 06:56 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
At bedtime take generic Diphenhydramine-sleep aid 10 mg. This is the active ingredient in Benadryl so super safe but do not drive or operate machinery after taking it. 20mg is also available or just take (2) 10 mg. Available at Walmart for about 12 cents per capsule.
I have taken Diphenhydramine myself quite frequently. It works, but... I need to take it roughly two-and-a-half hours before I'm ready to turn in for the night, and it leaves me really groggy for about that long after I get up in the morning.

For me, though, it works better than Melatonin, but I've got to admit that I haven't tried taking Melatonin a couple of hours before bedtime. Is that what other people who use it do? (It didn't work for me when I took it right before bedtime.)

Old 10-22-2018, 07:13 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
An old remedy I used when I was working and stressed over the crap at the office.

Hold your tongue in the middle of your mouth so it doesn't touch the edges or top and bottom. Keep it there. It gives you something to focus on other than all those things that keep you awake.

I don't know if it will help when you wake up later because once I got to sleep I rarely did. That crazy "exercise" put me in a deep sleep for the entire night almost every time.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:28 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,670,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
I've had a really bad stretch of insomnia the past two weeks and I'm at my breaking point. Is there anything I can do?

I have a hard time falling asleep, and then after an hour or two i'll wake up, usually around 1 AM, then I'm up until like 4 or 5 AM.. then I have to get up for work at 7 AM although i luckily can stretch it until about 8 AM but then I'm usually late to work.

I feel like I do everything I should - put the phone away around 8 PM, i have a cup of sleepy time tea around 8 PM too, i stop drinking any liquids after the cup of tea, my room is dark because i have black out curtains, the room is usually a good temperature and i also use a big fan for white noise. So I have no idea what to do at this point. Even 10 mg of melatonin isn't helping, neither is smoking weed which usually knocks me out.

At this point it's just anxiety about getting sleep. It's like a vicious cycle.

I'm debating buying a weighted blanket but they cost about $150 so i'd like to try other things before i try that.

Thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
OP: Have you looked at any of my info on my sleep remedy. 10mg melatonin I believe is a gross amount. And in my opinion, not the way to go. My melatonin dose is 1mg with my other stuff I've posted in Alt Med area. I know we are all unique but some things do work for many.

10 mg. of melatonin is WAY too much! Jaminhealth is absolutely correct about this. You can google it yourself, but here's one link about it.

With melatonin - less is more!

Scientists pinpoint dosage of melatonin for insomnia | MIT News

Try the other suggestions mentioned in this thread and lower your dose of melatonin. You have my sympathy. Insomnia is awful! Hope you find something that works for you. Since you said it's causing such anxiety, you also might want to ask your health care provider for just a few Xanax to get you back on track with sleeping. A few doses of that shouldn't hurt you, unless you are allergic or take other medicines that interact negatively with it.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:30 PM

457 posts, read 496,845 times
I used to take Benedryl every night. I never really felt like I was well rested though. I read some studies that it was bad to take long term, so I stopped. I now take a product called Midnite. It has 1.5 mg of melatonin and a couple of herbs.

After I had my physical this year I found out that I was Vitamin D insufficient. I started taking Vitamin D along with 200 mg of magnesium daily. I noticed the biggest change after I added the magnesium.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:55 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,738,469 times
https://www.healthtap.com/topics/benadryl-memory-loss

I believe it's true less Melatonin is best -- it is for me anyway with the other stuff that I take with it for a good night's sleep.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:09 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
Eat some Chinese Jujube and you won’t be able to hold up your eyelids.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:43 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,484,803 times
OP, i go through periods of insomnia much like you describe.

I tske 5 mg melatonin. I also am bipolar so i take trazodone, 100 to 200 mg which has the side effect of impending sleep. Usually.

To help facilitate sleep, i do not do kuch, let alone exercise, i turn off all lights except 2 lamps that have green LEDs in them. Green was the color found to be soothing to migraine headache sufferers [,which i also have], I put the phone (and computer) away 1 hour before id like to go to sleep. ( usually 8pm as my OH gets up at 3 am to leave for work at 5 am). I keep the br cool, as warmth makes me wake and sweat.

Tonight, i am still up after all that and cant sleep. I soept fitfully last night. The insomnia periods for me last about 2 weeks
Oh great i think, 2 weeks coming up.

If you DO have any form of depression, even if bipolar ( manic/depressive), check to see if your dr will prescribe a low dose (50 to 100mg) of trazodone. Dont take it if you are not depressed. Of course nit sleeping can depress one.

Othrr than that, wind down 2 hours before to bed. Go to bed at the same time every night so your body knows its supposed to go to sleep at that time. Dont vary hed times. Do not do anything but sleep ( and the other bed activity...but not before bed) in bed. Only sleep. If you toss and turn get up for a while. Im breaking my rule about the phone now, but oh well, im not sleeping anywayand its 11:40 pm. Also if you tend to nap at some point, especially late in the day, you may be jeopardizing your sleep pattern.

Best of luck getting your rest.

Old 10-23-2018, 03:07 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,930 times
I listen to a YouTube sleep-inducing video through earbuds...no video, just audio There is a guy on YouTube that makes hundreds of these, but only one of them works for me, it’s 10 hrs. long. DM me if you want more info.

IMO, you shouldn’t try Ambien, it makes people do strange and possibly dangerous things, and have no memory of them.

Old 10-23-2018, 06:40 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,741,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
My doc told me 5 mg melatonin was the max dose to safely take. It works by lowering your body temp so you don't want to lower it to much. You may find some relaxation tapes help.
How do I still have hot flashes then?

I have had a hard time sleeping for years and taken ambien or Xanax. Finally I had enough and started taking melatonin. Works wonders!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness