Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 05:38 AM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times

Advertisements

This happened to you ONCE? Seriously? One exposure is not going to make the difference between you ending up with cancer and not ending up with it. If it did, every motorist who this happened to (and I'll bet every one of them has during their 20-30+ year driving careers) would be dropping like flies from bladder or lung cancer. They aren't. Even if it was possible how could anyone determine that the daily exposure to other forms of air pollution didn't contribute? Like 20 years smoking? Like living an area with poorer air quality due to industrial pollution? Like living near an international airport? Like living in the equatorial tropics where smoke-producing slash and burn agriculture is common? They couldn't.

Get a grip! Your life and all the inherent dangers that go along with it is going to be one long panic fest otherwise.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-22-2019 at 05:53 AM..

Old 08-22-2019, 06:01 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,459,686 times
Keep a notepad and pen in your glove compartment for any future incidents. You should have gotten his license number in case you have medical issues.

Last edited by Navyshow; 08-22-2019 at 06:16 AM..

Old 08-22-2019, 06:27 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaraa View Post
An older model (atleast around 20 years old) BMW cut me off deliberately and then floored the pedal releasing a lot of blue smoke right in front of me, I could smell the car exhaust fumes inside my car even though I had windows closed and A/C on recirculating mode.

I am concerned that my lungs and other organs have been damaged from exposure to his exhaust fumes and his car was burning oil making the smoke blue and smelled more worse than Normal exhaust. Will this exposure cause harm to my health? I’m not sure if his car was a Diesel engine it was a 20 year old bmw car, I think M3 model, I think it was either a sedan or coupe I can’t even remember now because of this horrific event

According to Wikipedia diesel exhaust fumes causes lung and bladder cancer
Definitely go to your primary care Dr. diesel exhaust fumes are nothing to fool around with, if your Dr. doesn't take your concern seriously change Doctors. If you start feeling different go to the ER ASAP.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:31 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
An older model (atleast around 20 years old) BMW cut me off deliberately and then floored the pedal releasing a lot of blue smoke right in front of me, I could smell the car exhaust fumes inside my car even though I had windows closed and A/C on recirculating mode.

I am concerned that my lungs and other organs have been damaged from exposure to his exhaust fumes and his car was burning oil making the smoke blue and smelled more worse than Normal exhaust. Will this exposure cause harm to my health? I’m not sure if his car was a Diesel engine it was a 20 year old bmw car, I think M3 model, I think it was either a sedan or coupe I can’t even remember now because of this horrific event

According to Wikipedia diesel exhaust fumes causes lung and bladder cancer

So all these semi truck drivers are doomed.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:43 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Do you have an epi pen? Scary. Prayers.

Old 08-22-2019, 08:45 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,520,613 times
The ill-effects are extremely unlikely to result from a single exposure. Rather it is repeated, long-term exposure that is associated with health problems.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:00 AM

408 posts, read 259,759 times
I drive a convertible. I am about eye level with most diesel pickup truck's exhaust pipe. I think a few of them that stomp on it when they pass me do this for entertainment. My revenge will be when everyone has to drive electric, self-driving cars. LOL.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:04 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Mod cut: Quoted posts deleted.

Guys, stop being so mean and teasing the OP.

Of course, it is extremely, extremely unlikely that a single, brief exposure to exhaust fumes will cause any problems at all in a normally healthy person.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-22-2019 at 09:54 AM..

Old 08-22-2019, 09:26 AM

100 posts, read 63,973 times
Next time hold your breath till the smoke dissipates.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:38 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
An older model (atleast around 20 years old) BMW cut me off deliberately and then floored the pedal releasing a lot of blue exhaust smoke right in front of me, I could smell the car exhaust fumes inside my car even though I had windows closed and A/C on recirculating mode.

I read in an article that diesel fumes causes lung and bladder cancer

Believe me, you inhale a lot worse things every day of your life than you got in that 10 second period. You are worrying about nothing. Any of us who work on cars, or even paint things, suck in a lot more than you ever will.

Forget it, move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness