Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 05:25 AM

1,350 posts, read 819,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Calories are calories. Of course you can eat 100 grams of sugar and lose weight. That's only 400 calories. I eat around 2,600/day to sustain weight so only around 15% of my intake. I keep it a bit lower than that but there's no reason I couldn't lose weight on more sugar than that.
YES! Exactly! I have been saying this for years and I don't have any weight problem. You can eat your recommended daily amount of calories in whatever form you wanted and you would still lose/maintain your weight. You might not feel as satiated.... you might feel hungry.... you might not get all your nutrients.... but you would NOT gain weight on 400 calories of just sugar per day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 07:08 AM

5,517 posts, read 2,406,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Fat is what happens when you eat too many calories, no matter what those calories are. Although, I've found that when you eat calories is important.

I don't believe the post that says studies show that insulin reaction improves in a calorie deficit, even when eating sugar every day.

This guy could get away with losing weight while eating sugar this often because he could eat a lot of calories. I have to eat less than 1,000 calories to have any reasonable chance of losing weight in this lifetime. So there's not much room for eating sugar. If I do, it causes a great deal of suffering to give up eating real foods to compensate for the sugar calories that are not filling and don't feed my nutrition needs.

Another problem that people might have is stopping at 100g. Overweight people often don't have that kind of control. That's why they're overweight, in the first place. Compulsive eating, esp of sugar (which makes you want more of it), chips, and certain other kinds of foods.

Another problem may be the rush and the crash after eating 2/3 c of sugar, depending on what you eat with it, and the form of the sugar.

Everything in moderation, as they say. But certain foods are trigger foods for overweight people. Sugar can be a trigger for some people, and people can become almost addicted to it. Interesting that alcohol turns into sugar in your bloodstream.

I love sweets so much that it's best I avoid them, for the most part. I have planned times when I imbibe, for special sweets that I love. Then it's over with, and I don't eat sweets again until my next timed occasion. But I don't eat desserts, or a candy bar here and there, or anything like that. That'd be like an alcoholic having one drink every day, while saying he's recovering from his alcoholism.
If you don't believe the studies that show insulin reaction improves in a calorie deficit then do you have a study that shows other wise? If there was a study that didn't show that I would believe that study but that is not what the data shows.

Also, our intake of sugar has actually been going down over the last 30 odd years yet obesity continues to rise, can you explain why that is?

Again there are no conclusive studies showing that sugar itself it addicting. What you are really addicted to is the feel good response you get from eating sugary foods.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:56 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
A lot recent studies are showing that not all calories are created equally.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-09-2019, 08:23 AM

21,867 posts, read 25,154,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
A lot recent studies are showing that not all calories are created equally.
Of course. Fat is fat, protein is protein, carbs are carbs. A calorie of fat isn't a calorie of protein. Then there's nutritional quality per calorie. A soda does not have much nutritional value. Less calories than my breakfast but much lower food quality. The soda would be better for weight loss, fewer calories, but I'd probably be feeling pretty hungry since I won't be eating again until another 12 hours or so.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Calories are calories. Of course you can eat 100 grams of sugar and lose weight. That's only 400 calories. I eat around 2,600/day to sustain weight so only around 15% of my intake. I keep it a bit lower than that but there's no reason I couldn't lose weight on more sugar than that.
That is not what the research says. There are different thermic effect of nutrients. 2-3% for lipids, 6-8% for carbohydrates, and 25-30% for protein

Old 12-09-2019, 11:52 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Of course. Fat is fat, protein is protein, carbs are carbs. A calorie of fat isn't a calorie of protein. Then there's nutritional quality per calorie. A soda does not have much nutritional value. Less calories than my breakfast but much lower food quality. The soda would be better for weight loss, fewer calories, but I'd probably be feeling pretty hungry since I won't be eating again until another 12 hours or so.

I'm not sure we are talking about the same thing, at least I was not referencing macros.

Take almonds, you can eat 600 calories of them but you do not get the same gain, as if you ate 600 calories of steak, they seem to process differently.

I know I'm not explaining it well and I don't have the study documents handy, but that is the general results.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-09-2019, 03:52 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
But would you WANT to, even if that wasn't what you preferred?

People can gorge themselves at an all-you-can-eat buffet, and feel MISERABLE, but they think they've "won" by making sure the company loses money on their fee.

If you could eat 100g of sugar a day and lose weight... would you even want to? Is that what would make you feel GOOD? I understand a 2000 calorie diet already puts you at 80g/day.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:35 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

People can gorge themselves at an all-you-can-eat buffet, and feel MISERABLE, but they think they've "won" by making sure the company loses money on their fee.

If you could eat 100g of sugar a day and lose weight... would you even want to? Is that what would make you feel GOOD? I understand a 2000 calorie diet already puts you at 80g/day.
You mean sugar contained in fruit?

It's not mentioned, I think, but although sugar grams are sugar grams, the body reacts differently to refined sugar than it does to naturally occurring sugar in fruit and other natural foods. Because it has to be broken down by the body and doesn't go directly into the bloodstream like refined sugar & honey do. The fiber is a big part of that.

But those little orange candy pumpkins at Halloween that I love? Wow...those go straight to my bloodstream. I can tell! (but they're so yummy; that's one of my planned candy days every year.)

Old 12-09-2019, 06:11 PM

1,045 posts, read 759,658 times
I eat sweets for breakfast nearly every morning. They're usually homemade, and created with less sugar than the recipe calls for. But they're still sweet. What made me gain weight? Anti depressants. Fortunately, I'm off those pills because I find essential oils work just as well. So I can keep having my sweets for breakfast.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post

Believe it or not you can still consume a diet with fruits and vegetables and still be close to that 100g sugar mark. There are some fruits like passion fruit that contain high amounts of sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness