Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 06:35 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,357,189 times

Advertisements

That is what concerns me. When I told him that the hospital attending physician told me when I go for my appointment the following week, to ask for the monitor. When I told my cardiologist this, he said it wouldn’t do any good. He asked when the last palpitations were and I told him it was the week before at the ER. He told me that if he gave me a monitor for 3 days, it would be useless because there was a good chance nothing would happen. He was right as it didn’t happen until this bigger episode, which was 10 days later. But other people told me that the monitor will pick up things I don’t feel at all. So, I don’t know. I don’t k ow that much about hearts so to me, any abnormality isnt good.

I’ll get a similar monitor. I heard the latest Apple Watch 5 takes accurate measurements. Does anyone here use one for heart monitoring?

Old 02-10-2020, 08:04 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Do you take any supplements like fish oil? Some people can get cardiac irregularities from taking fish oil. I've taken it for decades without incident, but my friend had to stop taking it because of palpitations.

Old 02-10-2020, 10:45 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,627 times
PVCs (pre-venticular contractions) as palpitations are usually called is no big deal. They are common and apparently are of little risk. But you need to make sure you really have PVCs and not A-Fib which the cardio doc will do.

My wife has A-Fib and we know from experience that when she has an event, the ER treats them cautiously, preferring to see if they go away on their own. So when DW gets an A-fib event now, she relaxes and sees if it goes away on its own. 90% of the time they do. The other 10% she will go to the ER.

So even when I think my heart is doing something more serious than a PVC, like maybe A-fib, I know from watching my wife that I should just wait a bit and see if it resolves on its own rather than run to the ER. It always does.

One last thing - my cardio doc told me if I ever have an event that I am worried about, just come in to his office at any time, no appointment needed, and they will do a quick EKG. Of course that option is only available during business hours. It beats going to the ER.

Old 02-10-2020, 12:01 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
But you need to make sure you really have PVCs and not A-Fib which the cardio doc will do.
Which apparently, the cardio doc has already dismissed. OP just doesn't believe it. Which is why he needs to look into the connection with anxiety.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Do you take any supplements like fish oil? Some people can get cardiac irregularities from taking fish oil. I've taken it for decades without incident, but my friend had to stop taking it because of palpitations.
I don't take anything and was told to. So, this is definitely not a result of medication side effects. Thanks for asking though.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Which apparently, the cardio doc has already dismissed. OP just doesn't believe it. Which is why he needs to look into the connection with anxiety.
I have no anxieties that affect my everyday life. As I said, I am not crazy about planes, but still went on one in 2014 for wedding. 6 hour flight. No roller coasters. No cruises. I have a job I am tenured in so no worries losing that or any money worries. I am pretty anxiety free when you think about it. I do have those few (roller coaster and planes) which I know tons of people with the same fear. But we just avoid them. Has no affect on me. I just live a normal life every day. What would cause palpitations randomly out of the blue when every day is the same as the last? Not anxiety. But thanks for your concern.

Old 02-10-2020, 04:22 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,671,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I have no anxieties that affect my everyday life. As I said, I am not crazy about planes, but still went on one in 2014 for wedding. 6 hour flight. No roller coasters. No cruises. I have a job I am tenured in so no worries losing that or any money worries. I am pretty anxiety free when you think about it. I do have those few (roller coaster and planes) which I know tons of people with the same fear. But we just avoid them. Has no affect on me. I just live a normal life every day. What would cause palpitations randomly out of the blue when every day is the same as the last? Not anxiety. But thanks for your concern.
Health Anxiety is something that causes anxiety just like a job, flying, roller coasters, etc. You can also have anxieties without realizing that you are having them. The anxiety manifests in physical symptoms. Sometimes I don’t feel particularly stressed, for example, but I will get a flare up of TMD, which is a sign that I am really clenching my teeth at night. I also have nighttime anxiety issues sometimes if I watch something too stressful before bed. I know it sounds silly, but I can wake up with really short episodes of heart palpitations typically when this happens, and I know it is due to anxiety issues. Usually if I get up and go to the bathroom or get a drink of water, the palpitations stop.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
PVCs (pre-venticular contractions) as palpitations are usually called is no big deal. They are common and apparently are of little risk. But you need to make sure you really have PVCs and not A-Fib which the cardio doc will do.

My wife has A-Fib and we know from experience that when she has an event, the ER treats them cautiously, preferring to see if they go away on their own. So when DW gets an A-fib event now, she relaxes and sees if it goes away on its own. 90% of the time they do. The other 10% she will go to the ER.

So even when I think my heart is doing something more serious than a PVC, like maybe A-fib, I know from watching my wife that I should just wait a bit and see if it resolves on its own rather than run to the ER. It always does.

One last thing - my cardio doc told me if I ever have an event that I am worried about, just come in to his office at any time, no appointment needed, and they will do a quick EKG. Of course that option is only available during business hours. It beats going to the ER.
What is the medical difference between A Fib and palpitations? How would anyone of us know the difference? The problem with my cardiologist allowing me to come by if this is happening is that it is almost never during business hours. It is usually when I am already sleeping or relaxing and about to go to sleep.what would you have done in my case the other night? The palpitations began around midnight and continued all the way through 6 or 7 am when I finally passed out in my car while it was running. I nearly admitted myself 5 different times. But I didn’t. And if I did, they would have released me because it stopped around 6 or 7 am and hasn't rEturned since.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Health Anxiety is something that causes anxiety just like a job, flying, roller coasters, etc. You can also have anxieties without realizing that you are having them. The anxiety manifests in physical symptoms. Sometimes I don’t feel particularly stressed, for example, but I will get a flare up of TMD, which is a sign that I am really clenching my teeth at night. I also have nighttime anxiety issues sometimes if I watch something too stressful before bed. I know it sounds silly, but I can wake up with really short episodes of heart palpitations typically when this happens, and I know it is due to anxiety issues. Usually if I get up and go to the bathroom or get a drink of water, the palpitations stop.
Understandable, but if you can make your palpitations disappear by going to the bathroom it getting a glass of water, chances are it was in your head. I, on the other hand, tried doing that the other night. I drove around, I went to the drug store and bought Pediolyte, as my cardiologist suggested I drink when this happens. That had no effect. I was hungry so I went to 711 and got a bagel. Yet, my chest felt like there was a mouse inside trying to jump out. So, this didn’t come on because I was afraid of it coming on. I had no thoughts about it, especially after I passed my stress test with flying colors recently. I came out of the the same way it disappeared. I don’t believe I have health anxiety. I usually am the opposite and think whatever I have is probably nothing. People say it is probably stress but I don’t understand why it appears out of nowhere. And goes away just as soon. Surely, the stress I had the night it happened is the exact same stress I have right now, yet nothing is happening.

I guess it could be anything but I believe there is a physical problem. But what do I know?

Old 02-11-2020, 04:32 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,716,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
What is the medical difference between A Fib and palpitations? How would anyone of us know the difference? The problem with my cardiologist allowing me to come by if this is happening is that it is almost never during business hours. It is usually when I am already sleeping or relaxing and about to go to sleep.what would you have done in my case the other night? The palpitations began around midnight and continued all the way through 6 or 7 am when I finally passed out in my car while it was running. I nearly admitted myself 5 different times. But I didn’t. And if I did, they would have released me because it stopped around 6 or 7 am and hasn't rEturned since.
What was your heart rate during this episode?

If you don't have a blood pressure or heart rate monitor, I strongly suggest you get one - soon. A good blood pressure monitor gives you heart rate as well and detects irregular rhythms.

There are lots of possibilities for what's going on with your heart. But if you determine that your heart rate is high and irregular during these episodes, the most common of the causes would be paroxysmal atrial fibrillation. That is, afib that comes and goes - resolves by itself within seconds, hours, or a few days. Afib lasting more than 7 days is categorized as persistent afib.

You must know what your heart is doing during these episodes, either by wearing a holter monitor or at least having your own monitor for immediate testing. Having your own monitor is essential under your circumstance regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness