Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2020, 10:18 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Unfortunately, we're stuck here for now. May pay a visit to family shortly in Georgia though pretty soon so that I can get a freakin' haircut!
If a freakin' haircut is the worst of your worries, you should consider yourself extremely lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I am not at all encouraged by the behaviors I have seen around me over the last month and I fully expect people to go completely back to pre-virus standards within days. Too many typhoid Marys who don't grasp how their actions can affect others.
Nor am I. The attitudes of some of the people posting in this thread are a case in point. They care about no one except themselves and their haircuts. Pitiful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emotiioo View Post
Doesn't everyone realize that its probable that they have infected someone else with flu and never realized? That maybe even that person died? That flu kills tens of thousands in the US every year? That flu shots are not effective for all strains and many people don't ever get them or have bad reactions to them? Yet we all go on as normal.
This is not the flu. There is no vaccine and no treatment. There is no predictability, as there is with flu viruses. Good gravy, I can't believe anyone with the capacity for critical thinking would still be comparing the flu to COVID-19.

Quote:
This is not the first, the deadliest or even the worst health threat the world has faced.
It is the deadliest and worst health thread in our lifetimes, in more than a century. It is a new (hence the classification as "novel") virus. We are learning more about it every day - how it is transmitted, how it affects the body in the short and long term, how it reacts to treatment. I'd be curious to hear what you think is a "worse health threat" since the Spanish Flu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
In 1918 during the Spanish Flu, when everyone thought it was safe to return to normal activities, the outcome was deadly. Have we learned nothing from the past or are we doomed to repeat it?
The "it can't happen to me" mentality is strong here.

Quote:
Really?? Hmm. These folks at Johns Hopkins must all be totally nuts then
What's totally nuts is that the article backs up what many other people have been saying - this virus is more easily transmitted, and is more deadly, than flu viruses. Did you even bother to read your own link?

Quote:
That you have probably a5 some point in your life carried an infection to someone else without knowing and maybe even caused serious illness or death in that person.
Which infections without vaccines or successful treatment have been proven to be more easily transmitted than COVID-19?

Quote:
That every time you get in a car you have a higher chance of dying than of this.
Thanks for the false equivalency. Car accidents are not contagious.

Quote:
The really scary part is still to come if we don't get our heads out of our azzez and start reopening.
It's the people with their heads in the sand about the danger of this disease that are the scary ones.

Quote:
Boggles the mind and goes to show the baby noomer stranglehold over resources and public opinion.
I should have figured it would only be a matter of time before the baby "noomer" bashing commenced. I'm surprised it took more than 100 posts. Y'all are off your game today.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:27 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
The Johns Hopkins data clearly shows that the jury is definitely still out with COVID 19 and that it is clearly a new threat to public health. It shows that the mortality rate is higher and it has already surpassed that of the flu in the US. It's transmission is also different from the flu. And it still keeps marching on. In the midst of all of this reopening stuff, the virus continues to spread and people continue to get sick and/or die. That's not doomsday, that's facts. Every day I watch the cases increase and new deaths. In my area, over 60% of the people who have gotten the disease are under 65. Additionally, not all young people have recovered. There were many who were under 65, including a man in his 30s. As there are many people who have health issues than we'd like to admit. I have hypertension, that makes me "at risk" and I'm a fit 44 year old.

And no, life is not going to be the same, things aren't going to just go back to normal. You can't just "live your life". I, for one, am sick and damn tired of people's poor hygiene. Forget about coronavirus, this goes for the flu too. Cover your damn mouth, give me my personal space, and wash your hands. The whole reason why the government had to step in is because idiot people can't voluntarily do that on their own. Both the flu and coronavirus suck. If you'll notice the government made suggestions and they were largely unheeded by the populace. Even now that the stores have reopened, people refuse to keep six feet apart or cover their mouths if they don't wear masks. Just like you feel like it's your right to be in public, it's my right not to get sick and considering a pandemic is going on, have an ounce of consideration for your fellow man. Is it that hard?

And re: flu vs. COVID 19:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/01/healt...ths/index.html

Old 05-02-2020, 02:17 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,111,286 times
I'm in Florida. Our state is partially opening Monday however, Palm Beach, Broward, Miami Dade, and Monroe counties are not.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:59 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I can't help but shake my head over some of this posts - sad.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:52 PM

3,084 posts, read 1,547,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The elderly are being treated with tender loving care. It's everyone else who is a second-class citizen. Children can't go to school, workers are being laid off left and right, business owners are losing their businesses, no one can get their medical care, food pantry lines are going around the block.

Meanwhile Granny and Grampa sit comfortably on their couch watching TV, collecting their monthly checks, bringing in their food delivery, and saying "We'll be happy doing this forever!" If anyone should be abjectly grateful for the sacrifices being made on their behalf, it's the elderly. But I'm not hearing much about that. I'm hearing that no one is doing enough for the elderly.
I’m “elderly” and I happen to agree with you. Its not your responsibility to protect me, unless you live with me, its mine. If I feel endangered by this virus then the onus is on me to take precautions. Not you. I don’t understand this shutting down of the economy and the hysteria about this virus. The models of doom and gloom have triggered the hysteria in govts. When 90% of people who get this virus have only mild symptoms, if any.
Nursing homes have been a disaster for decades. The responsibility lies on the owners, managers, and govt to allow these places to function and employ people with little training, pay them a crappy wage, dont teach or appear to care about infection control, etc. No wonder half of all deaths occur in these places. Its no surprise. And that needs to change though I doubt it will. Govt doesnt care.

Old 05-02-2020, 04:22 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
My friend and I miss frequenting our favorite sushi restaurant and I believe once it's open for business, we will be there for our "fix".

Old 05-02-2020, 04:25 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
I’m “elderly” and I happen to agree with you. Its not your responsibility to protect me, unless you live with me, its mine. If I feel endangered by this virus then the onus is on me to take precautions. Not you. I don’t understand this shutting down of the economy and the hysteria about this virus. The models of doom and gloom have triggered the hysteria in govts. When 90% of people who get this virus have only mild symptoms, if any.
Nursing homes have been a disaster for decades. The responsibility lies on the owners, managers, and govt to allow these places to function and employ people with little training, pay them a crappy wage, dont teach or appear to care about infection control, etc. No wonder half of all deaths occur in these places. Its no surprise. And that needs to change though I doubt it will. Govt doesnt care.
I spent 4.5 months in rehabs(3) and omg, what sad sad scenes. Too too bad the docs don't at least prescribe D3 for these frail people to help keep them stronger. Some could still be alive if that had been happening.

Old 05-02-2020, 05:01 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree, people shouldn't put such blind faith in "the vaccine"--"I won't go out again until there is a vaccine" as we keep hearing.

Even with vaccines, people STILL become ill, especially people who are already old and/or sick (which are the majority of people who are so worried). These are the very people whom vaccines are less effective on. They only work if your body responds with an immune reaction.(My dad got a flu shot at age 94. He got the flu anyway, and died of complications. This is very common and typical.)

Couple that with the fact that there are probably various strains of the virus, and researchers will have to "guess" which ones are most prevalent, and you're going to end up with a vaccine that is 15-40% effective, like a flu shot.

Not that that would be entirely worthless, but it's hardly the "end to the virus" that some people are envisaging. .
Hey, I think it's just fine for all these people to declare they won't go out till there is a vaccine, or for other open-ended extended periods of time. Makes more room for those of us who do plan to go out when we can.

That said, I guess my husband and I have been "social distancing" for quite a while now. We don't attend crowded events, shop and carry out other activities not during peak times, avoid going to popular places during snowbird season here, to avoid the crowds. It's not out of coronavirus paranoia that we do this, but because we dislike crowds.

Old 05-02-2020, 05:04 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
I agree too. I'm a senior as well.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:18 PM

35,078 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Many states are opening back up but a lot of health officials have indicated that it is too soon; the virus has not yet flattened, and we will likely see a rise in cases and deaths becaue states have begun aggressive reopening efforts already. For those who have states that have opened or are opening soon, what are your plans? Texas is opening many businesses next week but my wife and I are furloughed. There is no mask requirement and we believe it is too soon. We will remain at home under self quarantine until either more time has passed or we are called back to work. What do you think? If you have the option, do you believe it is safe to get back to normal?
Dr. Scooby, when do you think is not "too soon" for people to go out? You are complaining that you are furloughed, yet you don't want to open the state to enable your employer to pat you.

Dr. Scooby what do you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness