Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2020, 08:45 AM

4,523 posts, read 3,406,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
No one is forcing anyone to leave their house. But they govt is forcing people to STAY HOME.
Who said they're FORCING you to stay home? You can still leave your house, lol. The way you make it seem, it's like you can't even go outside for a walk.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:45 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
No one is forcing anyone to leave their house. But they govt is forcing people to STAY HOME.
Forcing? I go out. I go shopping for groceries and stuff. I go out hiking, take the dog for a walk. I go to doctor appts. I go to HomeDepot and Lowes for house stuff. I visit friends.

We do a lot of things, within allowable parameters and safely.

Am I doing it because the gov't is forcing me? No, because I am a considerate adult who does not want to catch, or spread a novel disease.

You can not listen, you can protest, that's all your decision. I prefer not to get sick, get others sick, die, or end up with a hospital bill for 30K.

If it would help, I would not leave my house AT ALL. It would suck, but it is such a small thing to ask people to do to stop the spread of a disease.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-04-2020, 09:32 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Forcing? I go out. I go shopping for groceries and stuff. I go out hiking, take the dog for a walk. I go to doctor appts. I go to HomeDepot and Lowes for house stuff. I visit friends.

We do a lot of things, within allowable parameters and safely.

Am I doing it because the gov't is forcing me? No, because I am a considerate adult who does not want to catch, or spread a novel disease.

You can not listen, you can protest, that's all your decision. I prefer not to get sick, get others sick, die, or end up with a hospital bill for 30K.

If it would help, I would not leave my house AT ALL. It would suck, but it is such a small thing to ask people to do to stop the spread of a disease.
I think that's what galls me the most, the inconsiderateness of human beings. By refusing to give people personal space, covering your mouth and nose, and washing your hands you are basically saying F you to everyone.

the government has to balance the needs of the individual and society. that's part of the reason why government is in place and we're not just a motley collection of individuals. when faced with a largely unknown pathogen, the states had no choice but to do what they did. Didn't matter if they were red, blue, or rainbow.

this individual rights BS is just that - BS. it's not like there's martial law. law enforcement is not roving around, looking for people who want to "exercise their rights" to step outside of the house, and throw them in jail. they made non-essential businesses close, shut down events, and places where people gather in tightly packed groups, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see why they did that.

I have curtailed my outdoor activities not because I'm fraught with fear but because there's no imperative - no driving need - for me to leave and subject myself (and more importantly my family) to nasty people unless I have to. I work from home at the moment, so I am still contributing to the economy. I have simply adapted to the new normal. I do go out about twice a week.

Additionally, for those who think that I don't have skin in the pain game, I have taken a pay reduction. That hurt. My husband was in the midst of changing jobs and that was suddenly put into limbo. He could've very well been caught without a job because his old job didn't have to take him back once he submitted his resignation. Despite all of this, I still think that the course of action taken over the past month was the right thing to do. I think that my state's reopening was hastily done and time will tell. the larger cities that were most impacted by the virus are not seeing decreases at all.

Old 05-04-2020, 09:47 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I think right now is probably one of the most dangerous times. Haphazard openings, protestors, people acting stupid about masks, phone data is showing people out in public is high numbers....
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-04-2020, 09:55 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,405,241 times
Quote:
Not even close. The fact that people can't even see that freedom has been challenged here?

Well, that's the real problem. Do whatever the govt says seems to be the mantra of a group of posters ... no matter what. Without question ... There are family businesses that are DONE. Gone. Buh bye. Why? Govt said they couldn't open. Apparently people are OK with the government bankrupting small business.
I totally agree with you. It's scary how easily the people will just listen to the government and not question them. Well, luckily more people are challenging these governors who are acting like tyrants right now... There's lawsuits being filed and more protests. Hopefully that will make a difference.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:50 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Anyone who thinks that governments care about their safety is a fool.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:07 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think right now is probably one of the most dangerous times. Haphazard openings, protestors, people acting stupid about masks, phone data is showing people out in public is high numbers....

Yup. Violent threats against low paid employees. Idiots everywhere.

https://time.com/5831351/threats-okl...r-coronavirus/

And the white supremacists are shimmying in with the pro-plaguers, recruiting, threatening.

https://www.salon.com/2020/05/03/whi...mbers_partner/

And that's just one of a myriad of stories about how those cockroaches are crawling out of the woodwork for this, their "opportunity".

Violence and hate are the enemy more than the pandemic right now. Because of grown-yet-not-grown children having a temper tantrum.

Old 05-04-2020, 11:34 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Remember when your kids were little and they'd run around telling their siblings 'You're not the boss of me", yeah, that.

Oh, and the local headlines? Tennessee confirmed virus cases jump 36% in one week
Some of that is due to prison testing, but when I had to go out Saturday there were plenty of crowds and few people had masks on or bothered with distancing

Last edited by DubbleT; 05-04-2020 at 11:53 AM..

Old 05-04-2020, 05:12 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,430,733 times
Quote:
Hey it could be worse...you could be in China or South Korea where they're on real lockdown and if you go out it's a stiffer penalty.

Old 05-04-2020, 05:42 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Hey it could be worse...you could be in China or South Korea where they're on real lockdown and if you go out it's a stiffer penalty.
I would have no expectation of freedom in either place.

In the US there is an expectation of freedom. At least, there used to be. Seems like a lot of people don't care about freedom so much anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness