Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you get the covid19 vaccine if it comes out this year?
No 31 44.93%
Yes 17 24.64%
I will wait until more research is done 19 27.54%
My religion prevents me from taking vaccines 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 11:29 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettclan View Post
Knowing that some people have horrendous reactions to vaccines, (think if it like a peanut allergy, for most people it's fine, but for others it can really mess you up), I would personally wait a few years to see how people react. Another problem is that since viruses change and adapt, it might end up being a useless vaccine anyway. (most years flu vaccines are only 30-50% effective)
Personally since I have a very strong immune system I would rather get the actual virus itself and become immune to it for life than gamble on a rushed vaccine. Save the vaccines for those with weak immune systems. My current bet is on the antibody tests.
This virus seems to be stable, unlike the influenza virus.

No one knows who will get a serious case of covid, and who will not. Everything I read about this is speculative.

And, no one is sure getting covid-19 grants permanent immunity. It seems some people have been infected twice.

The antibody tests are available, but they have not been tested and approved by the CDC. They may or may not be accurate.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:58 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
I am not sure I trust injecting myself or my family with anything that scientists say generally takes years to develop - at a rush may take 18 months - but Trump is forcing through by January (by November's election perhaps)? We have no way of knowing WHAT is in it (Lysol perhaps?) or WHAT tests were done and the long term (maybe even short term) repercussions may be worse than the disease itself.

If they rush out with a vaccine - would you take it and give it to your family?
Then don't take a vaccine. Clearly by your comments your agenda is political.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:01 AM

236 posts, read 195,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
I am not sure I trust injecting myself or my family with anything that scientists say generally takes years to develop - at a rush may take 18 months - but Trump is forcing through by January (by November's election perhaps)? We have no way of knowing WHAT is in it (Lysol perhaps?) or WHAT tests were done and the long term (maybe even short term) repercussions may be worse than the disease itself.

If they rush out with a vaccine - would you take it and give it to your family?
no way, not a chance. I just read about the vaccine Bill Gates put out, that paralyzed a bunch of kids in a foreign country. I am told that there is mercury in vaccines and do we want mercury in our bodies......gee, let me think.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:48 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,164,155 times
This is what they call a "push poll" -- you ask the question in a way that encourages a "no" answer.

A "rushed" vaccine does not mean there has been a compromise in quality or testing. It means there's a lot of people working on it around the clock. And, frankly, suggesting that an accelerated vaccine timeline will produce a vaccine of lower quality insults the hard work that a lot of healthcare professionals are doing for us right here, right now.

I believe and trust science. I'll take the vaccine, and I'll sign up for 5G internet too. I don't get my science from sketchy YouTube videos posted on somebody's Facebook.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:34 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
This is what they call a "push poll" -- you ask the question in a way that encourages a "no" answer.

A "rushed" vaccine does not mean there has been a compromise in quality or testing. It means there's a lot of people working on it around the clock. And, frankly, suggesting that an accelerated vaccine timeline will produce a vaccine of lower quality insults the hard work that a lot of healthcare professionals are doing for us right here, right now.I believe and trust science.

I tend to agree. It really depends on the vaccine, not the timeline.

Quote:
I'll take the vaccine, and I'll sign up for 5G internet too. I don't get my science from sketchy YouTube videos posted on somebody's Facebook.

Well 5g (4G...3G...2G...) is a different animal completely. I haven't read the conspiracy theories and don't plan to but its just another way fo keep us all hooked on things we don't need to survive or lead fulfilling lives. Its 1% science backed by 100% sales.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:35 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,698,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no reason to expect that the coronavirus will mutate the way the flu virus does.

Some of those with "weak immune systems" may not be able to take the vaccine or may not respond to it well. That is why healthy folks should take it, so they are not walking around infected but not having symptoms and spreading it to others who might get deathly ill, or actually die.

Why is the flu vaccine "shoddy at best"? If it reduces the risk of getting the flu by 50% isn't that worth something?

There will be no special training needed to give the new vaccine. The manufacturer will determine the best route, whether in a muscle or under the skin.

I am sorry about your EKG experience. Frankly, I would have complained to the doctor in charge of the office. Being on Medicaid should not mean you get inferior care.

Why the ssumption that a new coronavirus vaccine will have problems just because it is new? One will not be offered to the public if it does not reduce the chances of an infection.

No one will do a culture for SARS-CoV-2 if you do not want it. I would suggest that you just stay at home and not have visitors.

However, the reason the swab is done that way it is because that is indeed where the virus is most likely to be found, short of squirting some fluid into the lungs and sucking it back out, which is way more uncomfortable.

Not everyone in the highest risk group will be able to take the vaccine, and some in the older age group may not respond as well to it. That is why younger people should take the vaccine, too, unless you and your children are never going to have close, sustained contact with your parents.

Also, if kids and younger adults are not vaccinated there will be no herd immunity.

From smallpox vaccine, which has not been routinely used in the US since 1972.
I'm pro-vax, but in this case I would prefer to purposefully infect our low-risk family with the disease instead.

Immunology studies that show only a vaccine confering permanent immunity, higher or different cfr's and a whole host of other factors could change my mind. Right now with what we presently know, this is my current position.

In the end it doesn't really matter. We won't be able to continue the lockdown for another month, let alone 18-24 months until a vaccine is ready. I expect my family will end up getting infected by a wave of new infections in July, whether we like it or not.

Old 05-02-2020, 11:02 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,648,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
More than 60,000 people over the last 6 weeks might disagree about it being 'mild'...oh, wait, they can't- because they are DEAD. Many thousands more, who have survived, certainly disagree.

Unfortunately, it IS NOT 'mild' for everyone...and there is no way to tell if it will be mild for *you*.

Well, you could certainly fulfill that wish by going to a hospital (sans PPE) where they have a lot of covid patients in the ICU, and go around and give each one a big kiss and a smile and tell them "Don't worry, it's mild, you'll be better soon."

Does that sound like a good idea to you?
I wonder what percentage of that 60,000 had underlying medical issues and/or were super old. Sick and old people die. That's what they do.

We never hear about all the flu deaths . . . why not?

Old 05-02-2020, 11:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I wonder what percentage of that 60,000 had underlying medical issues and/or were super old. Sick and old people die. That's what they do.

We never hear about all the flu deaths . . . why not?
Keep telling yourself you're not at risk.

Actually, we talk about flu deaths a lot here on CD in a "normal" winter. The anti-vaxers say the same thing as you.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:47 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Last time I had any vaccines is when I was a child. I’m now 42 and have never gotten a flu shot, nor do I take any modern medicine. I have never once gotten the flu and I very rarely ever get sick.

I eat a healthy balanced diet, stay active, and drink lots of water.

Old 05-02-2020, 02:56 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This virus seems to be stable, unlike the influenza virus.

No one knows who will get a serious case of covid, and who will not. Everything I read about this is speculative.

And, no one is sure getting covid-19 grants permanent immunity. It seems some people have been infected twice.

The antibody tests are available, but they have not been tested and approved by the CDC. They may or may not be accurate.
The current thinking is that positive tests for the virus in people who have apparently recovered are not picking up infectious virus but fragments of leftover organisms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
no way, not a chance. I just read about the vaccine Bill Gates put out, that paralyzed a bunch of kids in a foreign country. I am told that there is mercury in vaccines and do we want mercury in our bodies......gee, let me think.
Bill Gates did not "put out" a vaccine that "paralyzed a bunch of kids in a foreign country".

What you were told about mercury in vaccines is incorrect. There is a tiny amount in multidose vials of flu vaccine, but you can get flu vaccine without it. You might want to scratch the anti-vax websites off your reading list. There is where the nonsense about mercury in vaccines resides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
I tend to agree. It really depends on the vaccine, not the timeline.

Well 5g (4G...3G...2G...) is a different animal completely. I haven't read the conspiracy theories and don't plan to but its just another way fo keep us all hooked on things we don't need to survive or lead fulfilling lives. Its 1% science backed by 100% sales.
No one is forced to buy new technology. Why is 5G "a different animal completely"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
I'm pro-vax, but in this case I would prefer to purposefully infect our low-risk family with the disease instead.

Immunology studies that show only a vaccine confering permanent immunity, higher or different cfr's and a whole host of other factors could change my mind. Right now with what we presently know, this is my current position.

In the end it doesn't really matter. We won't be able to continue the lockdown for another month, let alone 18-24 months until a vaccine is ready. I expect my family will end up getting infected by a wave of new infections in July, whether we like it or not.
Why is a need for "permanent immunity" a deal breaker? Once and done would be ideal, but if a booster is needed you would not take it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Last time I had any vaccines is when I was a child. I’m now 42 and have never gotten a flu shot, nor do I take any modern medicine. I have never once gotten the flu and I very rarely ever get sick.

I eat a healthy balanced diet, stay active, and drink lots of water.
Good for you. I suspect many with COVID-19 could have said the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness