Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 03:44 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I can't take it. It gives me crazy dreams and I don't get into a restful sleep. I have tried small doses and big doses.
I'm surprised to hear melatonin does that to you because it's naturally replacing melatonin you don't have in your body.

Quote:
When you get your first chemo, they give you a huge dose of Benydryl because some people have an allergic reaction. I was drowsy but wide awake. Most people sleep. I can't take antihistamines which is the active ingredient in many sleep aids.
I can't take Benadryl either for the same reason. It winds me up. I'm able to use Unisom sleep gels, Tylenol PM and prescription generic lunesta.

Quote:
I guess what many people don't realize is that hormone blockers wreak havoc on sleep. I can stop taking them for a while because I can't take the lack of sleep and I start sleeping again. Then I go back on them because I get scared of being off them and start laying awake for hours again. Lots of post cancer tests to see if it came back (CTS and ultrasounds) are very stressful, too. You can try to eliminate stress but some stress can't be eliminated. As many say, it has to be managed.
You have a lot on your plate. When my hub had cancer those same stressors would cause me not to sleep too if I didn't have generic Lunesta. Ask your doctor for a script. You need your sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 08:58 AM

10,552 posts, read 7,750,499 times
Quote:
Ok, talk to me. How do you deal with stress?
I am not a stressful person by nature, and have been fortunate to not experience much of it in my life.

In my circle of friends/acquaintances, exercise and meditation can be quite helpful for promoting relaxation and sleep. My sleep is marginally OK. Exercise definitely helps. Very rarely I will take melatonin, which also helps. It can leave me feeling a bit groggy for awhile after waking though.

Stress is the worst, as it exhausts without allowing crucial rest. Because it is so extremely deleterious to one's health, if you need drugs for relief then you should partake because the benefits obtained from getting sleep outweigh the negatives IMO.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:41 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

I'm surprised to hear melatonin does that to you because it's naturally replacing melatonin you don't have in your body.
Sort of. There are other inactive ingredients in those pills that can affect how you feel. Melatonin supplements give me headaches, which to me are not worth it.

It would be nice to find that perfect option!

Old 06-21-2020, 10:27 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,404,938 times
I don’t smoke, don’t do drugs, don’t drink and don’t ingest anything with caffeine. Also, no prescription medications.

I don’t “need” anything to help me out because I have arranged my life so that I get enough sleep, have enough money, do what I enjoy doing and am surrounded by people I love and respect.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:27 AM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
I don’t smoke, don’t do drugs, don’t drink and don’t ingest anything with caffeine. Also, no prescription medications.

I don’t “need” anything to help me out because I have arranged my life so that I get enough sleep, have enough money, do what I enjoy doing and am surrounded by people I love and respect.
I thought you've posted about all your health issues in recent months....maybe it was someone else.

Old 06-21-2020, 11:44 AM

21,922 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Can you exercise? That helps with stress.

I lost my husband a almost a year ago, and it’s stressful. After a whole life of head hit the pillow and I’m out is OVER. So about an hour before I go to bed, I play some solitaire, cards on the table, not on the phone or laptop. I light a lavender candle it smells beautifully while I play and breathe deeply and let it out, breathe in deeply and let it out. And I drink a cup of Sleepytime vanilla tea. No sugar, doesn’t really need it with the vanilla, and somehow it doesn’t taste like sticks like regular Sleepytime tea. Frankly, I don’t think it’s the tea at all, I think it’s the warm in my tummy. So it could be warm milk, or just warm water with a little lemon in it.

Then off to bed after I make sure I blow out the candle and it’s really out and I put away the card so the cats don’t take them all over the house, and I relax with a good book and the tv. I still don’t fall asleep right away, but I am relaxed. Which helps.
I exercise every day. I have been doing Pelaton m-f since the lockdown. Before that I went to a gym 3-4 days a week. I also do elliptical on sat and sun and try to walk a couple of times a day.

I could definitely improve my diet. I try to eat pretty well but I have two kids and they like to bake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Most (all?) of the people I've ever met who've never drank or used drugs are people I'd never, ever want to be. Perusing this thread for responses of the 'straight-edge' ilk, the same holds here. There are always obvious worldview handicaps or empathy limitations with these people. The people who can endure this world without chemical help are themselves deficient in ways obvious to those of us who do use substances to cope with our superior perspicacity. If I had to summarize the difference succinctly, it may be that the 'non-users' lack the ability to be convinced that their POV is not all-encompassing. Because once you know you're fallible, once you truly know that, good luck dealing with that self-awareness. Once I truly realized that every human being out there is a distinct case study of one, a person I could spend a lifetime attempting to know but never succeeding at doing so...yeah, I have some well-considered but still lacking idea about my limitations. The people who sleep well at night while sober do not truly know their limitations. And they never will.

Interesting POV.

Quote:

I can't take Benadryl either for the same reason. It winds me up. I'm able to use Unisom sleep gels, Tylenol PM and prescription generic lunesta.

You have a lot on your plate. When my hub had cancer those same stressors would cause me not to sleep too if I didn't have generic Lunesta. Ask your doctor for a script. You need your sleep.
I will look into lunesta.

I have also been told to try CBD oil. I was never a big fan of pot but my niece swears by CBD oil.

It's funny because even though I have these stressors, there are times when it is NOT stress. I know it's the medication that is keeping me up. I literally lay awake on the days I take and don't the days I don't
take it.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:44 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,741,456 times
On all the aggressive exercise, could be over doing it, too much stimulation. Just a thought...I did a lot of exercise in my life but in moderation.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:07 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Sometimes my stress level is really so over the top. I have a REALLY ADHD kid and another kind of difficult kid and I had cancer and the meds keep me from sleeping well EVER. I could go on and on. Some methods of reducing stress no longer work and I won't go into it.

[BOLD]But everyone has solutions and most of them I have tried (regarding sleep) but when I talk to people and think about people, I feel like I am the only one who doesn't drink or use some drug to reduce stress. [/BOLD]

I know people who take stuff to sleep, or drink every day, or use Xanax or get high all the time. The list goes on.

I just wonder. Am I the only one who doesn't have SOME way to self medicate? Am I just stupid?
No. Then you are not undrugged. Very very few people are undrugged. Even the people who go around bashing drug companies are taking drugs. Supplements and hormones are essentially drugs at a different stage of processing.

You build up a tolerance or they work only under certain conditions. Perhaps you shouldn't rely so much on one or not hop from one drug/supplement to the next but learn more about them.

The core problem is the lack of sleep and its effects on your mental state or stress. Melatonin has been suggested.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:57 PM

7,051 posts, read 4,818,181 times
Quote:

Tylenol PM and Unisom Sleepgels both have the same active ingredient as Benedryl, diphenhydramine. I prefer the Unisom tabs, their active ingredient is doxylamine succinate, it doesn’t give me that logy feeling in the morning.

Old 06-21-2020, 06:37 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,049,655 times
At one point in my life (quite a long point) I had severe anxiety, to the point of being delusional. I started on St. John's Wort and the difference was amazing. I felt like myself again. People with anxiety and depression are not weak, they are missing key chemicals in the brain. You wouldn't tell someone with a broken leg to just tough it out, you would get them to a doctor. Psychological problems can be the same as physical problems. Let's not break our arms patting ourselves on the back for being "undrugged".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness