Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 01:37 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcarguy49 View Post
Suzy-

"Quarantining the healthy is basic epidemiology." NO, quarantining the sick is basic routine epidemiology. Show me one example in World History where they have ever quarantined healthy people before?

You must have missed this one Suzy:
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00798-8
I notice you edited your post. I guess you looked at my posting history and discovered I posted about MERS before you even joined CD.

https://www.hhs.gov/answers/public-h...ine/index.html

"Isolation and quarantine are public health practices used to protect the public by preventing exposure to people who have or may have a contagious disease.
  • Isolation separates sick people with a contagious disease from people who are not sick.
  • Quarantine separates and restricts the movement of people who were exposed to a contagious disease to see if they become sick. These people may have been exposed to a disease and do not know it, or they may have the disease but do not show symptoms."

Some people who are quarantined never develop symptoms. By definition, they were healthy.

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/historyquarantine.html

"The practice of quarantine, as we know it, began during the 14th century in an effort to protect coastal cities from plague epidemics. Ships arriving in Venice from infected ports were required to sit at anchor for 40 days before landing."

If no plague cases developed - everyone was healthy - the ship was allowed to dock.

What is your point about the Nature article, which is from March?

Quote:
Suzy, you should try reading other people's posts.
I have read the entire thread. What do you think I missed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 01:49 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,022,912 times
I hate how this article is being phrased, another attempt to create mass hysteria.

The accurate way to phrase it: "Scientists have found a problem and are working on it..."
Reality (panic + useless scientific terms to make it look authentic):

"Scientists have discovered a horrible and CREEPY problem: covid-19 turns victims into zombies with sling blade and a hoodie...and they also discovered the entropy of the pluripotent equilibrium is transcendental" -

(oh no science...zombies and equilibrium...better go get my guns!).

Old 06-30-2020, 05:04 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,313,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Science isn't an absolute unless it's math or math provable... since math is the science of logic.

Science rarely predicts outcome when biology is involved.
So the definition of "science" is a moving target.

Fair enough, and indeed it's a game that everybody plays.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:18 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
So the definition of "science" is a moving target.

Fair enough, and indeed it's a game that everybody plays.
Not in absolute terms. Again... if the science can be proven mathematically then it stands on the island of logic and fact, for all to see. However when you use predictive 'models', the errors exponentially increase with time. Think of a predictive cone for a hurricane... works the same with predictive models in biology.

Take pharma as an example... the drugs are chemicals and mathematical models can verify their efficacy. However we all know why individuals are introduced for clinical trials ... biology.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:21 AM

Just an FYI.... I understand hospital are moving away from ventilators and instead using High flow O2 .

I asked about ICU, and he said the hospitals are now trying not to do an intubation in sick people. They have found that it is usually better to treat the patients with high flow O2, rather than put on a ventilator. He also said that they almost ran out of drugs a few months ago, as the patient needs to be sedated during intubation.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:44 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Just an FYI.... I understand hospital are moving away from ventilators and instead using High flow O2 .

I asked about ICU, and he said the hospitals are now trying not to do an intubation in sick people. They have found that it is usually better to treat the patients with high flow O2, rather than put on a ventilator. He also said that they almost ran out of drugs a few months ago, as the patient needs to be sedated during intubation.
Thanks for that information.

Old 06-30-2020, 05:49 AM

Sometimes real time (tactical) treatments and discoveries go unreported.

My daughter is a Micro Biologist (PhD) and my youngest son is a Fireman/Paramedic/Trama Nurse so I get more information than I can disseminate... not to mention they're intellectually way past me.

Old 06-30-2020, 11:33 AM

474 posts, read 1,260,667 times
Default Worth Looking Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
My coworker and I were discussing this the other day. We are both type A. However, we know our genotypes are AO, because we each have a parent who is type O. She tested positive and was completely asymptomatic. She's in her late 50s/early 60s. We were wondering if someone who was AA vs AO would be hit harder, if they even looked at that yet, probably not.
I remember reading an article about a group of Chinese researchers who took a look at the blood types of people who were ill from the virus and/or passed away from it.

Their somewhat non-scientific approach found that Type A was most vulnerable and developed worse symptoms. Going down the line, Type 0 either were immune, asymptomatic, or developed mild symptoms.

My husband is Type A; I am Type 0 negative. I began to notice a trend on public forums, comments etc. that Type 0 people seemed to actually have better outcomes than the others. Of course this is informal, but it was surprising. It didn't mean these people couldn't get very ill, as in some cases there seemed to be some other genetic factor involved at times. I've nursed my husband (Type A) through two incidents of the flu (years apart; different strains) and I never became ill nor received any flu vaccines.

This doesn't mean Type 0 people aren't effected by viruses; these strange microbes come in weird shapes and forms and use different mechanisms to penetrate a cell. Had my share of colds and such. But my blood type may help me avoid the more dire consequences.

I think it is worthwhile to look into this subject. At this point we need to consider anything which might give us a greater understanding of what we are dealing with. After all, the Bubonic Plague wiped out between 30% to 50% of the population in Europe, but enough people survived or I wouldn't be here now.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:12 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I heard a lot of Dr. Joel Wallah last night and he is forever talking about how the Americans are so Over Glutened from the many high gluten foods they/we consume. I've made a lot of changes but not totally.....

I know this is about the Blood types and had to mention the Gluten aspect here and so many diseases Americans have.

Talked about Italy and how high the Virus hit that country and look at all the high gluten foods they consume.

FOOD for thought here...

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-30-2020 at 01:09 PM..

Old 06-30-2020, 01:05 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DecayingAngel View Post
I remember reading an article about a group of Chinese researchers who took a look at the blood types of people who were ill from the virus and/or passed away from it.

Their somewhat non-scientific approach found that Type A was most vulnerable and developed worse symptoms. Going down the line, Type 0 either were immune, asymptomatic, or developed mild symptoms.

My husband is Type A; I am Type 0 negative. I began to notice a trend on public forums, comments etc. that Type 0 people seemed to actually have better outcomes than the others. Of course this is informal, but it was surprising. It didn't mean these people couldn't get very ill, as in some cases there seemed to be some other genetic factor involved at times. I've nursed my husband (Type A) through two incidents of the flu (years apart; different strains) and I never became ill nor received any flu vaccines.

This doesn't mean Type 0 people aren't effected by viruses; these strange microbes come in weird shapes and forms and use different mechanisms to penetrate a cell. Had my share of colds and such. But my blood type may help me avoid the more dire consequences.

I think it is worthwhile to look into this subject. At this point we need to consider anything which might give us a greater understanding of what we are dealing with. After all, the Bubonic Plague wiped out between 30% to 50% of the population in Europe, but enough people survived or I wouldn't be here now.
There is a scientific foundation for it. Type O people make antibodies to antigens found on Type A and Type B blood cells. Those antigens are somewhat similar to antigens on the coronavirus, so Type O people may be more easily able to eliminate the virus.

This is specific to coronavirus, not all viruses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness