Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2020, 10:09 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times

Advertisements

Last week, I had to go to the ER, due to Bronchitis, basically, there was so much mucus built up in my airways and lungs, it was hard to breath, the first thing the ER did was to start me on Antibiotics and start loosening the mucus up.

They did a great job and I am feeling much better now. I went about 4 days without smoking anything, but I couldnt keep going...However instead of the regular 'strength' cigarettes I had been smoking for years, I bought ultra lights.

I realize there was alot of controversy about 'light and ultra light' cigarettes, not long ago, I remember reading that NO cigarette is 'lighter' than any other...

But that is NOT true at all!! As soon as I lit up the 'ultra light cig', there was a noticeable difference, it wasnt strong at all, in fact, I could barely taste it.

The filter is the same, they are the same length, between an ultra light and regular strength cigarette, so Im not sure what causes the ultra lights to be so 'light', (anyone?)

I also dont understand how the medical world can claim there is no 'light cigarette', when in fact, there is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2020, 10:37 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Last week, I had to go to the ER, due to Bronchitis, basically, there was so much mucus built up in my airways and lungs, it was hard to breath, the first thing the ER did was to start me on Antibiotics and start loosening the mucus up.

They did a great job and I am feeling much better now. I went about 4 days without smoking anything, but I couldnt keep going...However instead of the regular 'strength' cigarettes I had been smoking for years, I bought ultra lights.

I realize there was alot of controversy about 'light and ultra light' cigarettes, not long ago, I remember reading that NO cigarette is 'lighter' than any other...

But that is NOT true at all!! As soon as I lit up the 'ultra light cig', there was a noticeable difference, it wasnt strong at all, in fact, I could barely taste it.

The filter is the same, they are the same length, between an ultra light and regular strength cigarette, so Im not sure what causes the ultra lights to be so 'light', (anyone?)

I also dont understand how the medical world can claim there is no 'light cigarette', when in fact, there is?
Don't be naive - light in taste means nothing at all about the tar or nicotine you inhale. I didn't think cigarettes could be advertised as "light" any more - hence the colors - Marlboro "reds" and "gold", for example - YOU are the one reading "light" into their marketing ads and they thank you for it!

Please don't fool yourself. At least consider vaping as an alternative if you can't quit smoking cigarettes. Vaping has issues and hasn't been fully researched yet but may be slightly better, especially if it leads you to quit smoking through all means.

BTW - I smoked for 10 years - a couple even after my smoker dad died of lung cancer - pretty sick, huh? After numerous attempts I finally quit cold turkey - that was 25 years ago...you can do it too!

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/...ight-cigarette

https://www.verywellmind.com/are-lig...or-you-2824736

and (read the last paragraph):

http://https://www.pulmonologyadviso...igarette-type/

Old 07-04-2020, 11:49 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Don't be naive - light in taste means nothing at all about the tar or nicotine you inhale. I didn't think cigarettes could be advertised as "light" any more - hence the colors - Marlboro "reds" and "gold", for example - YOU are the one reading "light" into their marketing ads and they thank you for it!

Please don't fool yourself. At least consider vaping as an alternative if you can't quit smoking cigarettes. Vaping has issues and hasn't been fully researched yet but may be slightly better, especially if it leads you to quit smoking through all means.

BTW - I smoked for 10 years - a couple even after my smoker dad died of lung cancer - pretty sick, huh? After numerous attempts I finally quit cold turkey - that was 25 years ago...you can do it too!

https://www.cancer.gov/publications/...ight-cigarette

https://www.verywellmind.com/are-lig...or-you-2824736

and (read the last paragraph):

http://https://www.pulmonologyadviso...igarette-type/
When I say 'taste' was light, Im referring to the strength.

If I were to take a drag on a full flavor regular cigarette, I would be coughing my lungs up....however when I take a drag on these 'ultra light' cigarettes, there is no 'strength' at all, no coughing.

There has to be some difference, either the tobacco, or the filter?

Ive cut the filters apart on a full flavor and an ultra light...they are identical to each other in density, and length.

Old 07-04-2020, 12:03 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
It's not really any better.

If you can't quit, then what will really help is reducing the amount of cigarettes, not the type.

Your risk of disease is proportional to how many cigarettes you smoke.

I smoked about a pack every few days for 20 years, and have been 'quit' for the past several. However, I still do break down every now and then. I've gotta clean that up.

Anyway, if you do any of the calculators of disease risk, the calculator is based upon how many cigarettes you smoked for how many years.

What really, really bothers me is that they haven't come up with something that's a substitute for smoking that is proven and healthy and does the same thing.

I mean, we have millions of people working worthless jobs that bring very little worth to society. Can't we put some of these people to work on finding a sub for cigarette smoking?

Old 07-04-2020, 12:04 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,092,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

That's not sick at all. As a matter of fact, I'd say most people would smoke more if they had a loved one dying of lung cancer from smoking.

That's how cigarettes work. They reduce stress and help to cope. It's the unfortunate trap...

Old 07-04-2020, 12:10 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
When I say 'taste' was light, Im referring to the strength.

If I were to take a drag on a full flavor regular cigarette, I would be coughing my lungs up....however when I take a drag on these 'ultra light' cigarettes, there is no 'strength' at all, no coughing.

There has to be some difference, either the tobacco, or the filter?

Ive cut the filters apart on a full flavor and an ultra light...they are identical to each other in density, and length.
Did you read any of the links I provided that reference a particular medical study? If you're intent on believing you're doing something "healthy" by all means trust your own biased judgement (actually your mind and body screaming out for nicotine at any cost) over the decades of medical research. "Light cigarettes" have been made since the 60's but are no longer allowed to advertise as such - BECAUSE they have the same bad effects. Only if you switch to actual unfiltered cigs could your risk be any higher.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:05 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Dang, light ciggies...........they sound ultra-tasty, refreshing and maybe
even healthy, MUST try !!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2020, 07:14 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,562,046 times
They are not safer. I mean maybe negligibly, my Uncle switched to them and just smoked more to get the same amount of nicotine. I used to do like you and buy the ultra lights, the really skinny ones are like air, when I was sick. The last time I had bronchitis I couldn't breathe well. I bought patches and gum. I didn't even get a pack of the ultra lights because that would impede already difficult breathing.

Anyway, yes they have less nicotine and tar and all that, but the government didn't want us counting tiny amounts of lung damaged saved like my Uncle thought he was doing.

Old 07-04-2020, 07:49 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
In 2018 I had spent the best part of a year taking care of my dying wife. We had both smoked for almost thirty years; but we had given up twenty years before that. We thought were safe. My wife did not know she had lung cancer until she had a pain in her knee. After much testing they finally found a tumor in her femur. Her lung cancer had metastasized into bone cancer. We received that news on Xmas day of 2017. She always smoked "light" cigarettes.

That was a very hard year and we missed our fiftieth wedding anniversary by two months. She died at home on September 10th of that year. That was after a lot of painful surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation treatment. One can argue all they want about light compared to filtered compared to non-filtered; but it did not help my wife - I wished we had never started smoking!

To the OP: Don't try to justify what you know is wrong! It is not worth the pain and suffering. The only relief for my wife that year was the slight smile on her face after she took her last breath - it was finally over!

Old 07-04-2020, 09:40 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,105,575 times
Why are cigarettes being discussed in the Health and Wellness forum?

Does anyone else see the irony?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness