Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tell us about you mask position/belief
I wear a mask EVERYWHERE 26 21.85%
I wear a mask when required 41 34.45%
I will never wear a mask 2 1.68%
I wear a mask, then take it off once I'm allowed to enter 3 2.52%
I carry one for show 1 0.84%
People who wear masks are sheeple 5 4.20%
People who don't wear masks are trying to kill me 2 1.68%
Wearing a mask is a choice 15 12.61%
I'm too sexy for my mask (please sing while checking the box) 3 2.52%
There should me a national mask mandate 21 17.65%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 03:14 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
I assume if your wearing a mask while driving, it's a preventive measure to keep y'all from licking the windows.
No, I just put it on when I start doing errands and do not take it off until I finish them and can clean my hands before I touch it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The alt-health forum is a subforum of Health and Wellness. Mercola is a medical conspiracy quack site and its owner profits by selling overpriced supplements that don't actually do anything.

No one who respects actual science would give that website the time of day and would likely block it from their browser so their kids can't pull it up accidentally.
Blaylock is a quack, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom623 View Post
Mercola goes through the various arguments in this ARTICLE

its rather verbose/long, but I found this part interesting

"Nationally recognized board-certified neurosurgeon Dr. Russell Blaylock also believes face masks are capable of causing serious harm:28

"Now that we have established that there is no scientific evidence necessitating the wearing of a face mask for prevention, are there dangers to wearing a face mask, especially for long periods? Several studies have indeed found significant problems with wearing such a mask.

This can vary from headaches, to increased airway resistance, carbon dioxide accumulation, to hypoxia, all the way to serious life-threatening complications ... By wearing a mask, the exhaled viruses will not be able to escape and will concentrate in the nasal passages, enter the olfactory nerves and travel into the brain."

Face masks can also pose a danger to health care workers, wrote Blaylock,29 by causing "a reduction in blood oxygenation (hypoxia) or an elevation in blood CO2 (hypercapnia)," as well as headaches. The elderly are at risk, too, he warns:

"Unfortunately, no one is telling the frail elderly and those with lung diseases, such as COPD, emphysema or pulmonary fibrosis, of these dangers when wearing a facial mask of any kind — which can cause a severe worsening of lung function.

This also includes lung cancer patients and people having had lung surgery, especially with partial resection or even the removal of a whole lung."

Face shields more effective?
"Face shields, when studied with influenza, protected people from inhaling 96% of flu-laden droplets produced by a cough even when the face shield wearers were only 18 inches of someone coughing, the Post said.31 Clearly, they provide some of the protections of social distancing which may explain why we are increasingly seeing them used by health care practitioners."
Blaylock's claims are nonsense. Wearing a mask does not lower oxygen levels or raise carbon dioxide levels.

Proof, from a nurse wearing three masks.

https://twitter.com/MurseWordsworth?...n-to-your-body

Health care providers usually wear a mask and a face shield.

Old 07-26-2020, 04:08 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,819,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
Why don’t you add the option: “I wear a mask when it makes sense to wear a mask and when it is required†as one of the options? I’m guessing it might be one of the most popular options.

While you are at it, you may as well get rid of option #1: “I wear a mask everywhere.†No one is wearing them in the shower or in bed. LOL

Oh, I get it. It’s a joke .... As if we’re in the mood.
I used "everywhere" as a common sense proxy for the bolded.
Walking around a pond in my development will generally not require masking up so I don't.
Likewise in a parking lot when I mask up prior to entering a store.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:34 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,103,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The alt-health forum is a subforum of Health and Wellness. Mercola is a medical conspiracy quack site and its owner profits by selling overpriced supplements that don't actually do anything.

No one who respects actual science would give that website the time of day and would likely block it from their browser so their kids can't pull it up accidentally.
Ive looked at 30+ wellness sites regarding covid , and their guide page with its top 10 tips is by far the best. No telling how many lives would have been saved if the CDC had pushed good health and immunity like most wellness sites have done.

I cant speak to their supplements, I recommend people use Thorne, Jarrow, Pure, Life Extension, VRP, and Douglas Laboratories when possible. However the best brands are often pricey.

There is good/bad advice on every website, including this one, Mercola is just another resource to compare against when looking up information. I highly recommend using the Linus Pauling Institute and Life Extension as resources also.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Ive looked at 30+ wellness sites regarding covid , and their guide page with its top 10 tips is by far the best. No telling how many lives would have been saved if the CDC had pushed good health and immunity like most wellness sites have done.

I cant speak to their supplements, I recommend people use Thorne, Jarrow, Pure, Life Extension, VRP, and Douglas Laboratories when possible. However the best brands are often pricey.

There is good/bad advice on every website, including this one, Mercola is just another resource to compare against when looking up information. I highly recommend using the Linus Pauling Institute and Life Extension as resources also.
What you posted from Blaylock is flat out wrong.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/mis...-and-covid-19/

Old 07-26-2020, 11:58 PM

1,974 posts, read 1,103,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What you posted from Blaylock is flat out wrong.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/mis...-and-covid-19/
Admittedly I have been a fatalist from the get go, thinking everyone will eventually come in contact with it and we should focus on immunity(vit C,D, zinc), sugar control, and blood pressure. So I am lacking in the mask info dep.

However in the stores I visit where masks are required, I see workers and shoppers uncovering their noses often and most masks are not properly fitted(gaps, especially around the nose). If people want to really avoid the virus, at store car-side pickup seems the way to go.

Blaylock may be blowing things out of proportion, the Mercola article goes back and forth with pros and cons to masks. But he isnt the only person to cite problems with masks, something I wasnt aware of - link

Old 07-27-2020, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Admittedly I have been a fatalist from the get go, thinking everyone will eventually come in contact with it and we should focus on immunity(vit C,D, zinc), sugar control, and blood pressure. So I am lacking in the mask info dep.

However in the stores I visit where masks are required, I see workers and shoppers uncovering their noses often and most masks are not properly fitted(gaps, especially around the nose). If people want to really avoid the virus, at store car-side pickup seems the way to go.

Blaylock may be blowing things out of proportion, the Mercola article goes back and forth with pros and cons to masks. But he isnt the only person to cite problems with masks, something I wasnt aware of - link
Yes, the general public needs to learn how to wear masks properly. It also needs to keep social distance and mind hand hygiene.

Your link addresses cloth masks for healthcare workers, not the general public. Healthcare workers are at greater risk due to closer contact for prolonged periods. Cloth masks are not sufficient protection.

Blaylock is a well known quack. He is wrong, not just "blowing things out of proportion".

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/co...mmune-neuroses

Old 07-27-2020, 12:00 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
I voted for "I wear a mask when required" but really, that doesn't quite cover what I do.

I wear a mask when I go in a store, whether the store requires it or not. I fully realize I wear the mask for the sake of other people, and I accept that. I do it out of respect, I guess. But I DO hate wearing it, and I take it off as soon as possible, when leaving the store. And that said...the store(s) is about the only place I go, except when we go to our cabin in the country.

Old 07-28-2020, 11:25 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
However, if I were forced out of my comfort zone and into a crowd right now, I'd wear one so as not to draw attention to myself...lol

I'm not interested in drawing attention to myself either but I'm also not interested in feeling like passing out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I only wear them when required. Today I went to the store, donned a mask, and my glasses steamed up, couldn't see where I was going. So I finally took them off and if I accidentally grabbed someone's half filled cart, so be it!

The fog doesn't affect my vision that much but I have had to take longer/more frequent breaks because of wearing a mask.

Old 07-28-2020, 02:21 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,606,689 times
I am very much a believer in the rights of the individual; plus, I'm a fairly selfish individual myself.

But I do not want to be responsible for infecting anyone with COVID-19; and I want to help protect myself as much as I can, so when I leave my apartment, I wear a mask, even if I will be walking in areas where I will often (but not always) be 6ft. or farther away from other people. I wear a mask inside my apartment if maintenance personnel enters to fix or check something (as do they).

Reading a variety of articles has convinced me that while masks do not offer 100% deterrence of the virus, the mutual wearing of masks by people within each other's social distance can help resist infection. I think I'd be foolish not to use such a tool...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness