Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Tell us about you mask position/belief
I wear a mask EVERYWHERE 26 21.85%
I wear a mask when required 41 34.45%
I will never wear a mask 2 1.68%
I wear a mask, then take it off once I'm allowed to enter 3 2.52%
I carry one for show 1 0.84%
People who wear masks are sheeple 5 4.20%
People who don't wear masks are trying to kill me 2 1.68%
Wearing a mask is a choice 15 12.61%
I'm too sexy for my mask (please sing while checking the box) 3 2.52%
There should me a national mask mandate 21 17.65%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 07:48 AM

972 posts, read 542,808 times

Advertisements

I answered that I wear a mask everywhere, but I assume that doesn't include at home or in your car for long drives.

When I'm outside of my home, I almost always wear a mask. The exception is when I take walks in my neighborhood when there aren't many other people out for walks (we have a lot of walkers in my neighborhood). If I'm going for a long drive, I'll leave my mask off until I get where I'm going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 10:46 AM

33 posts, read 21,578 times
When I drove thru GA and TN, the overhead signs used tell me how many people died on the highway so far and how many motorcycle accidents there were. Didn't see those signs when we visited in May. Wonder why?

Old 07-30-2020, 11:17 AM

19,717 posts, read 20,244,680 times
I'm too sexy for my mask ♫

Old 07-31-2020, 03:24 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I've never worn one yet and if it comes to where I need to for a doc appt, I will make one up or borrow one from a friend. I read more and more on the ineffectiveness of them. Just when I think I've read them all, I get new info.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:29 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exwycowboy View Post
When I drove thru GA and TN, the overhead signs used tell me how many people died on the highway so far and how many motorcycle accidents there were. Didn't see those signs when we visited in May. Wonder why?

Because it shows, how many MORE died to THAT, than to COVID? It's a no brainer, really.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:33 PM

1. Studies on the effectiveness of face masks

So far, most studies found little to no evidence for the effectiveness of cloth face masks in the general population, neither as personal protective equipment nor as a source control.
  1. A May 2020 meta-study on pandemic influenza published by the US CDC found that face masks had no effect, neither as personal protective equipment nor as a source control.
  2. A July 2020 review by the Oxford Centre for Evidence-Based Medince found that there is no evidence for the effectiveness of cloth masks against virus infection or transmission.
  3. A Covid-19 cross-country study by the University of East Anglia came to the conclusion that a mask requirement was of no benefit and could even increase the risk of infection.
  4. An April 2020 review by two US professors in respiratory and infectious disease from the University of Illinois concluded that face masks have no effect in everyday life, neither as self-protection nor to protect third parties (so-called source control).
  5. An article in the New England Journal of Medicine from May 2020 came to the conclusion that cloth face masks offer little to no protection in everyday life.
  6. A July 2020 study by Japanese researchers found that cloth masks “offer zero protection against coronavirus” due to their large pore size and generally poor fit.
  7. A 2015 study in the British Medical Journal BMJ Open found that cloth masks were penetrated by 97% of particles and may increase infection risk by retaining moisture or repeated use.
https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

Now, this is NOT my OPINION.
You have links to studies, done by scientists. Not bloggers or politicians. Fauci them.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:43 PM

Matter of fact, if someone feels brave, call Fauci or one of his "experts" and ask them to produce studies 100% confirming masks protective effectiveness against ANY virus.
Not what China did, or a blogger said. Peer reviewed studies. SCIENCE. None are.

And yes, while we on it. China wears masks for years for smog particulate, being the most smogged country in the world, not for virus infection. China does, my....

Old 07-31-2020, 05:15 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
1. Studies on the effectiveness of face masks

So far, most studies found little to no evidence for the effectiveness of cloth face masks in the general population, neither as personal protective equipment nor as a source control.

Now, this is NOT my OPINION.
You have links to studies, done by scientists. Not bloggers or politicians. Fauci them.
There is the hair salon where two stylists who were infected did not infect anyone else because everyone was wearing masks. There is the analysis of an infected person in China who gave the virus to passengers on one bus while he was unmasked and not to passengers on a second bus when he did wear one.

Evidence for source control:

https://www.jwatch.org/na51322/2020/...ratory-viruses

If you were having surgery would you want people in the OR to wear masks?

Old 08-06-2020, 07:30 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,677,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Matter of fact, if someone feels brave, call Fauci or one of his "experts" and ask them to produce studies 100% confirming masks protective effectiveness against ANY virus.
Not what China did, or a blogger said. Peer reviewed studies. SCIENCE. None are.

And yes, while we on it. China wears masks for years for smog particulate, being the most smogged country in the world, not for virus infection. China does, my....
Since nothing is 100% effective, The whole argument you present is pretty much a waste of time.
It has been proven that wearing a mask significantly decreases one's chances of infecting other people, and wearing a mask decreases the chances of one being infected by other people.
It's that simple.

I will wear the damned mask, and keep my distance from the morons who will not.

Old 08-07-2020, 02:37 PM

3,438 posts, read 2,409,977 times
I voted for a national mask mandate.

Bear in mind that a mandate can require anything, or forbid anything. The word is not specific.

My idea of a national mask mandate:

For NON restaurant/dining hall/cafeteria:

Any employee or elected official of any federal, state, or municipal government entity must wear a mask when inside a federal, state, or municipal building.

Any employee of any business that is open to the public (with or without membership requirements, a la Sam's and Costco) must wear a mask when inside their place of employment, whether they are on or off the clock.

Any visitor/customer to any inside place of business or government building, must wear a mask while inside it.

Exceptions to the above: designated break times in designated isolated break areas where customers don't have access.

In restaurants, dining halls, cafeterias that are designated as eating places for employees or guests/visitors:
All employees must wear masks (except when THEY are on their own eating break).
All visitors/guests must wear masks until they are seated, and must put the mask back on when they get up to leave.

For all OUTDOOR public spaces: any public venue that isn't able to enforce social distancing must require mask wearing for all visitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness