Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 11:12 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times

Advertisements

Congrats quitting is difficult but doable. I quit after 20 plus years two packs a day. 6 years off then fell off wagon for 3 years then quit again. Off now 20 plus years. Part of the struggle is changing your addicted mind set. After the physical withdrawal is done. Your mind still wants to trick ya. Just like a physical craving. These thoughts like a labor pain have a start a peak and a finish. Go for a walk. A drive. Drink water. Every puff you take has to detox out so don’t fool self and think you get to puff here and there. Guard and don’t take your clean days for granted it’s hard work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 11:42 AM

610 posts, read 263,997 times
That's great, good luck! Be cautious though, I've heard it can have some pretty weird side effects. My ex took it while we were together and while it definitely worked it caused him to have very weird dreams and to sleep walk!

Old 11-07-2020, 01:21 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Seems like I have heard about something like this (with a spot on the ear), to help stop smoking, but I dont think it involved an electrode.
Yes, I think it was first done with needles, like traditional acupuncture. It's multiple spots on the ear.

Anyway, worked for me.

I first heard of it from my ex-husband, who is a true addictive personality--drugs, alcohol, gambling. I figured if HE could quit using that, so could I.

The auricular therapy removes the physical craving, but you still have a month of psychological/habitual smoking issues to deal with. He gave us a mantra to say plus other psych tips. For example, he said when you see other people going out for a smoke, don't envy them. Pity them.

Old 11-07-2020, 04:01 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,833,342 times
I stopped smoking 10 years ago with chantix. Definitely worth it.

For me? It gave me crazy gastrointestinal problems for the first month. Very. Bad. Should not be out in public bad.

It also gave me some great technicolor dreams.

It was all worth it to no longer be smoking. Power through it, it's worth it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-08-2020, 04:59 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI1287 View Post
That's great, good luck! Be cautious though, I've heard it can have some pretty weird side effects. My ex took it while we were together and while it definitely worked it caused him to have very weird dreams and to sleep walk!
Anthony Bourdain was taking Chantix and it is suspected that it contributed to his surprise suicide. He had written about his suicidal thoughts and it's possible this drug was the trigger to his action. If you are already depressed or have had suicidal thoughts be very aware of your mood when taking Chantix.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:17 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,913,903 times
Remember, Remember, the 5th of November.

I quit 11/5/2006 during my divorce with Chantix. My doctor kept me on it for 6 months (minimal s/e) since I was hard core 2+ packs a day. (This was his specialty and feared relapse). I was the one everyone said I would die with a cigarette in my hand, never going to quit. I loved smoking. If I got a terminal dx, I tell myself that would be permission to start again. Here's hoping I don't test that thought.

Chantix gave me a 2nd chance at life. I have no doubt I would be very sick, now or very soon, had I continued.

One thing that stuck in my head, after 4 days the addiction is 100% in your head. That made things so much easier.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:59 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
What's important is that you keep trying. I finally quit a few months before Trump was elected. I proclaimed that I would start smoking again if he was elected, but I didn't. It'll be five years in March 2021. Before that I tried a hundred times.

Old 11-08-2020, 11:02 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,384,154 times
I can't take this because it conflicts with my other psych drugs. I remain a smoker much to my disappointment.

Old 11-08-2020, 12:27 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Remember, Remember, the 5th of November.

I quit 11/5/2006 during my divorce with Chantix. My doctor kept me on it for 6 months (minimal s/e) since I was hard core 2+ packs a day. (This was his specialty and feared relapse). I was the one everyone said I would die with a cigarette in my hand, never going to quit. I loved smoking. If I got a terminal dx, I tell myself that would be permission to start again. Here's hoping I don't test that thought.

Chantix gave me a 2nd chance at life. I have no doubt I would be very sick, now or very soon, had I continued.

One thing that stuck in my head, after 4 days the addiction is 100% in your head. That made things so much easier.
What dose did you start out with? and how long did you smoke while taking the chantix?

Im curious if your doctor told you to take the chantix for so long and keep smoking, set a quit date, and then increase your dose, or..?

Old 11-08-2020, 12:40 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
I can't take this because it conflicts with my other psych drugs. I remain a smoker much to my disappointment.
Keep trying.

Even cold turkey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness