Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2020, 12:35 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Right now the most likely suspect is polyethylene glycol, which is a known allergen. It is also in the Moderna vaccine.

It was fascinating to see how widespread PEG use is, from the stuff that cleans you out for a colonoscopy to many medications to cosmetics and skin care products. It is unsurprising that there would be people primed by previous exposure who have allergic reactions to it in the vaccine(s).

There are other vaccines in the pipeline. No way to tell right now whether any are PEG free.

If the problem is PEG then a potential solution for Moderna and Pfizer is reformulation without it, but that might be difficult.

Also, people with known severe allergies could get tested and if their tests are positive wait for a vaccine without it.

This poor lady had a real problem with PEG:

https://aacijournal.biomedcentral.co...223-016-0172-7
Any change in a medication or procedure is difficult to say the least.

As far as testing those with known severe allergies, that should help. But there will always be some that never had allergies before and now developed an allergy to PEG. Unfortunately problems like this can play right into the hands of the anti-vaxers.

I have no idea of when other vaccines will be released.

One person that I am talking to, that lives in an apartment complex for the elderly, told me they offered free testing for the pandemic to the 70 residents this week. Of the 70 only 20 said they would do it. I do not know if that relates to any of this? But there is a lot of mistrust of government right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 07:15 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If Pfizer and Moderna do not get a handle on the adverse reactions then that group could grow larger. I am thinking that all of the adverse reactions are to the Pfizer vaccine because Moderna has not had enough time since they were just recently licensed to sell. It would be interesting if Moderna does not have the same problems with adverse reactions as Pfizer? But we will not know for another week or two.

how many adverse reactions have their been?

Old 12-21-2020, 07:54 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Hundreds of thousands around the world have agreed with this sensible approach to the pandemic. Read it and sign it, if you also agree:

https://gbdeclaration.org
But you haven't read it and you're asking people to read it.

I'm getting tired of people posting links only or with sparingly few insights into the article, especially one that's been passed around before and dismissed.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:31 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,313,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Hundreds of thousands around the world have agreed with this sensible approach to the pandemic. Read it and sign it, if you also agree:

https://gbdeclaration.org
I don't agree with it.
The Great Barrington declaration is based on the idea that we can live our lives as usual while sequestering the elderly and infirm, and let the disease spread until we have herd immunity.

Herd immunity has never happened with any disease through natural spreading. The declaration is based on a lie.

Old 12-21-2020, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
how many adverse reactions have their been?
Two days ago there were 5: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...orted-fda-says. I presume there will be more as more are vaccinated. But then we are talking about millions of doses. The media and anti-vaxers will use it to their advantage. It will still have to be dealt with sometime in the near future.

The pharmaceutical companies will spend a fortune on every one of those reported adverse reactions in their follow up investigations. There are companies that have not had their products approved and they will be watching this closely.

There is a chance that some of these reactions could be psychosomatic, but we will not know until all the findings come out. Right now they suspect the one additive, but I don't know if there are any good replacements for that additive?

Old 12-21-2020, 04:10 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Two days ago there were 5: https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...orted-fda-says. I presume there will be more as more are vaccinated. But then we are talking about millions of doses. The media and anti-vaxers will use it to their advantage. It will still have to be dealt with sometime in the near future.

The pharmaceutical companies will spend a fortune on every one of those reported adverse reactions in their follow up investigations. There are companies that have not had their products approved and they will be watching this closely.

There is a chance that some of these reactions could be psychosomatic, but we will not know until all the findings come out. Right now they suspect the one additive, but I don't know if there are any good replacements for that additive?
The allergic reactions are to be expected. The physiology is understood.

People fainting after they get injections is to be expected. The physiology is understood.

The four in Chicago who got numbness and tingling were hyperventilating. The physiology of that is understood, and the person who stopped the vaccinations at that site was wise to do so before it turned into a mass hysteria exhibition.

The Phase 3 trials for the two approved vaccines were large enough to find any serious immediate concerns.

The substance that may be causing the allergic reactions is thought possibly to be polyethylene glycol, which is a known allergen. It is not really an additive; it is part of the fatty nanoparticles that contain the mRNA and help it get to where it needs to be in the muscle cell. I do not know that it can easily be replaced with something else.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The allergic reactions are to be expected. The physiology is understood.

People fainting after they get injections is to be expected. The physiology is understood.

The four in Chicago who got numbness and tingling were hyperventilating. The physiology of that is understood, and the person who stopped the vaccinations at that site was wise to do so before it turned into a mass hysteria exhibition.

The Phase 3 trials for the two approved vaccines were large enough to find any serious immediate concerns.

The substance that may be causing the allergic reactions is thought possibly to be polyethylene glycol, which is a known allergen. It is not really an additive; it is part of the fatty nanoparticles that contain the mRNA and help it get to where it needs to be in the muscle cell. I do not know that it can easily be replaced with something else.

This is my impression too. I'm not sure it will be or can be "dealt with". There are always going to be some adverse reactions to any vaccine.

I also could only find records of 5 allergic reactions. I'm not sure how many have been vaccinated but these are rare events. There was an allergic reaction the first day in Britain too.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
This is my impression too. I'm not sure it will be or can be "dealt with". There are always going to be some adverse reactions to any vaccine.

I also could only find records of 5 allergic reactions. I'm not sure how many have been vaccinated but these are rare events. There was an allergic reaction the first day in Britain too.
They originally intended to vaccinate 40 million by the end of this year. Some of the vaccine was returned because it was not refrigerated properly, they were not going to take any chances. So I really don't know how many will get vaccinated before JAN 1st? On the other hand I am sure the numbers will be in the millions. So, if it is only a handful of people that experience the adverse reaction and now we know to check those that might get that reaction, I presume that the lives saved will all be worth the few problems.

But all of this is new and it will be a wait and see how it all turns out.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:08 AM

Quote:
They originally intended to vaccinate 40 million by the end of this year. Some of the vaccine was returned because it was not refrigerated properly, they were not going to take any chances. So I really don't know how many will get vaccinated before JAN 1st? On the other hand I am sure the numbers will be in the millions. So, if it is only a handful of people that experience the adverse reaction and now we know to check those that might get that reaction, I presume that the lives saved will all be worth the few problems.

But all of this is new and it will be a wait and see how it all turns out.

I found the following:

6 cases
272,000 vaccinations

so 1 in over 45,000 or 0.000022059%

All have been successfully treated.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:14 AM

15,424 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who think a single adverse reaction is too many, and will not get vaccinated as a result. They conveniently forget that, if the 1 in 45,000 rate holds, getting Covid is more deadly than the vaccination, and you are far more likely to get Covid than you think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness