Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2021, 12:37 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
If you're worried about the clots or side effects, you can take 1 shot of the two two-shot vaccines. They're still about 67% effective for the elderly. If everyone got only 1 shot, the odds of getting infected are only about 11% for the elderly and much lower for other age groups. The efficacy ratings of 95 percent for two shots came early in the pandemic when there were few infected people.
I'm considering this.

Old 05-08-2021, 12:53 PM

5,995 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Well, after thinking about it for the past 4 or 5 months and carefully weighing what I perceived to be the risk/reward ratio, I got my first Covid vaccine shot today. Believe me, I was not an easy sell. In fact, I don't think that ANY of the arguments that people made influenced me much, if any, at all. I think that what finally did the trick was simply the accumulation of the numerical data.

After all, I'm a numbers guy. Emotional arguments and scare tactics have little effect on me. But finally, the numbers seem to favor taking the vaccine even though the vaccine itself has some risk involved.

I got the Pfizer shot #1 at my local Walgreen's pharmacy today. Went online this morning, clicked on the local Walgreen's pharmacy, answered a few question, selected a convenient time before noon, went there and got the shot right on time. In and out in less than 20 minutes. They didn't even ask me to wait for 15 minutes before I left. I felt fine, so I left immediately.

My wife had both Pfizer shots and finished up about a month ago. She had absolutely zero side effects from the vaccines other than the slightest of a sore arm, and even that wasn't much. She had no chills, no aches, no pains, no headache, no lethargy, no sleepy spells... nothing! I hope to have the same experience she did, but I won't be surprised if I do have more side effects than her.

Anyway, just thought I'd report that I got the shot. If I don't check back in and update you with how it goes for the next few days, you'll know that the shot killed me and I want someone here to be sure to report it to VAERS since I won't be able to.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:19 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,291,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
But some of us WILL have side effects, and it is important for people to be prepared for that possibility. My side effects I had yesterday knocked me right on my behind and on through the floor. I read the Moderna thread before my 1st dose last month, so I knew that side effects were a possibility, as well that after the 2nd dose they tend to be more severe. That exactly how it played out.

I would have been more scared if I hadn't seen coming what I went through yesterday, because it was not pleasant at all. I wasn't bedridden by choice.

Right. Know that you might have side effects and have a plan in case you feel like crap, but don't tell people they will have side effects because most people don't.

Old 05-08-2021, 03:54 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,283,652 times
Went with the J&J one jab. No side effects.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:03 PM

5,452 posts, read 4,054,839 times
Got my second Moderna on Thursday (2 days ago). Slept a lot Th night, but mostly because I didn't sleep much W night. Went to my volunteer gig Friday, slept a lot Friday night. Feel OK today.

No side effects with first shot.

Old 05-08-2021, 06:28 PM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,435 times
No side effects for J &J

Old 05-08-2021, 10:26 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,216,957 times
I got my 2nd Pfizer shot a week ago and other than a sore arm, I had no side effects. Glad it was a non event for me.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:36 PM

13,264 posts, read 7,316,697 times
My mother had both Moderna shots she is 84 years old had sore arm first one 2nd one she got 99F fever for a few hours was tired woke up the next day felt fine.

6 days since my 2nd Moderna shot I keep waking up with headaches so I'm taking 400MG of Ibuprofen before I go to bed this morning was the first morning I woke up feeling good. The Ibuprofen works I know they say it is counter productive to the vaccine but having pounding headaches like I was I feel isn't worth it few times I was actually getting nauseated from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Not true!

These threads are scaring people and making people forget that for the vast majority, there will be little or no side effects! So while its good to have a plan in case you're one of the minority who don't feel up to snuff, the vast majority of people aren't going to need to actually use that plan because they will feel just fine.

I have spoken to several people who had a rough time with the 2nd Moderna shot all were under 55 years old all of them had to take 2-3 days off from work had high fevers felt sick for several days after the 2nd shot. Medical community is underplaying the effects on younger people who get the Moderna shot. I have always gotten all vaccines offered never had any experience like this before. I'm not saying anyone should be scared but you should be prepared for it not downplay the side effects.

If your older such as 70 plus likely have less side effects as the immune system is not as strong so I'm told. I also spoke to many younger people who had the Pfizer shot and they had less side effects on the 2nd shot.

Last edited by kell490; 05-08-2021 at 11:50 PM..

Old 05-08-2021, 11:22 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Head to head comparison of reactive side effects for the mRNA vaccines base on patient reports through the v-safe program. The data are from about 10% of vaccinated persons.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jam...rticle/2778441

"A greater percentage of participants who received the Moderna vaccine, compared with the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, reported reactogenicity; this pattern was more pronounced after the second dose (Table). When stratified by age (<65 vs ≥65 years), differences in reactogenicity by vaccine remained consistent with overall findings (data not shown). Local and systemic reactions were less commonly reported by v-safe participants 65 years and older compared with those younger than 65 years, but greater reactogenicity after the second dose was observed for both age groups (eFigure in the Supplement). For both doses of both vaccines, the percentage of v-safe participants who reported local and systemic reactions was highest on day 1 after vaccination and declined markedly through day 7."

The table gives the percentages for the reported symptoms.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:26 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
6 days since my 2nd Moderna shot I keep waking up with headaches so I'm taking 400MG of Ibuprofen before I go to bed this morning was the first morning I woke up feeling good. The Ibuprofen works I know they say it is counter productive to the vaccine but having pounding headaches like I was I feel isn't worth it few times I was actually getting nauseated from them.
The recommendation is not to take NSAIDs prophylactically before taking the vaccine. If you need it afterward and acetaminophen does not help it is fine to use one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.