Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 02:39 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Good for you.

I know it isn't easy to quit a drinking habit/alcoholism, but the rewards of doing so are so well worth it, and the effects of alcoholism, not just physically, but emotionally, mentally and psychologically on not only the alcoholic but his/her loved ones, are devastating.

My dad was an alcoholic, it ruined him as a person and destroyed our family.

Thank you! My alcoholism and my pot consumption were definitely having an impact on my family and neighbors, who said at one point "Tim, you look like Sh*t!", plus taking an ambulance ride to the emergency room because I thought I was dying. Turns out I was severely dehydrated, which doesn't feel too good either.

Last edited by Willamette City; 03-10-2021 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 02:41 PM

6,345 posts, read 2,900,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I read about a woman who died of "chronic alcoholism". She was only in her mid-forties. For people that die at that age from alcoholism, how much do they typically drink per day, and for how long?
It takes years of drinking a bottle of vodka per day to kill. I saw someone do it for 8 years before dying.

Old 03-10-2021, 02:50 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Half a pint is about 6 shots a day. I could order a double Jack Daniels on the rocks before dinner, another double with my steak dinner, and one more double as an after dinner drink. That amounts to 6 shots or half pint. Nobody gets sloshed on that amount of drinks and stumble out of the restaurant. It's quite normal and I would not consider that alcoholism.

Most importantly, do you do it every day? If so, that's alcoholism. Every one's different. I'm 5'11'' and about 210. That amount of alcohol would put me under the table. I rarely if ever, drank out. I started my glass of wine with the 5 pm news and quietly drink all evening until I sloshed off to bed. About 12:30 to 1 am I would wake up and drink another 8 oz of wine and Seven-up.

Then I retired and the drinking started at 4 pm, then 3, then 2. Then i switched to Gin. All I can say is that I'm much better off without any of it. I feel better and my liver is slowly repairing itself. I'm sure I killed lot's of brain cells, but I function pretty well with out them.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:04 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,667,875 times
Quote:
I read about a woman who died of "chronic alcoholism". She was only in her mid-forties. For people that die at that age from alcoholism, how much do they typically drink per day, and for how long?
My father was an alcoholic. He started drinking heavily in his early 30s. For years he drank shots and beers. He would stop at a club after work every day. In the early years he would get drunk on weekends by drinking a fifth of whiskey. By his late 30s, he had switched to vodka. In his 40s he was drinking the large 1.75L bottles. He could easily finish at least one a day. I've heard of people who die in their early 40s from cirrhosis of the liver from drinking this amount on alcohol. My father made it to age 58 before the alcoholism killed him, but he did not die of cirrhosis. His heart just stopped while he was on a binge. I've talked to other alcoholics and they amount they can drink and still function are beyond belief. Many alcoholics' big problem is getting rid of the 1.75L empty bottles.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:14 PM

728 posts, read 303,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Most importantly, do you do it every day? If so, that's alcoholism. Every one's different. I'm 5'11'' and about 210. That amount of alcohol would put me under the table. I rarely if ever, drank out. I started my glass of wine with the 5 pm news and quietly drink all evening until I sloshed off to bed. About 12:30 to 1 am I would wake up and drink another 8 oz of wine and Seven-up.

Then I retired and the drinking started at 4 pm, then 3, then 2. Then i switched to Gin. All I can say is that I'm much better off without any of it. I feel better and my liver is slowly repairing itself. I'm sure I killed lot's of brain cells, but I function pretty well with out them.

A bottle of wine is 750 ml. How much wine do you drink when you started at 5 pm till you went to bed? When you woke up at 12.30 am, you drank another 8 oz of wine which is about a third of a bottle. It isn't difficult to drink a bottle of wine by myself sipping it from the time I start cooking till I have eaten dinner.

Why do you drink? For me, it's the enjoyment. Of course, the slight buzz you get from alcohol is stress-relieving. It puts me in a great mood for socializing or just being by myself and taking in the scenery from my front porch.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:02 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
My best friend died of cirrhosis of the liver from alcoholism at 51, but she had been sober for seven years during her late thirties and early forties. She was a small woman, 4'11", and she would drink vodka straight from the bottle, beginning before she got out of bed in the morning so that she wouldn't have a seizure.

So, yes, it can kill some people earlier in life.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:30 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive had plenty of friends that were alcoholics and I was briefly addicted to alcohol in my late teens, (but unfortunately, I found I preferred opioids more), what is really strange and unbelievable to me is... The govt will step in and restrict access to 'dangerous or unhealthy substances' ONLY when the dangers come quickly!

Example, it takes a lifetime of smoking to kill a person, but someone can die of an opioid overdose the first time...BOTH are deadly, but Govt only restricts access to the substance that can kill quickly...not necessarily the more deadly substance either.

I cannot figure out why that is, I would think the most logical thing would be to restrict access to the MOST deadly substances, (no matter how quickly they cause damage), I dont think 'money or power' is involved, as the pharma industry is VERY large and powerful...and govt still came and threw a wrench into their opioid sales.
IMHO the speed at which your poison of choice kills you isn't really the point. AFAIK, the collateral damage and associated crime from illegal opioids (regardless whether you got addicted because of a carelessly managed legal script or because you used illegals from the get go) is much much higher than it is for tobacco. I'm sure there is still some illegal traffic in tobacco these days but not to the degree of opioids. It just isn't as lucrative. Of course, back in its heyday, the tobacco industry certainly influenced elected government officials. Eventually, a wrench was thrown into their plans too, and more recently for vaping.

Old 03-10-2021, 04:49 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My best friend died of cirrhosis of the liver from alcoholism at 51, but she had been sober for seven years during her late thirties and early forties. She was a small woman, 4'11", and she would drink vodka straight from the bottle, beginning before she got out of bed in the morning so that she wouldn't have a seizure.

So, yes, it can kill some people earlier in life.
I had a friend die at 37. She was tiny at 4’8” and something like 90 pounds. I think she had a short period of sobriety associated with some court-ordered treatment for DUI in her late 20s, but I don’t think she stayed sober for long. I met her a few years after the DUI at my job and she had come from a prior job where she apparently had a reputation for keeping up with the men when she drank. She tried detox a few times near the end of her life. I moved away from where she lived several years before she died, but people who had seen her later said that she looked like she was in bad shape and appeared swollen/puffy, which can happen with cirrhosis.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:01 PM

5,995 posts, read 3,736,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post

Are you the same guy who posted on here last year about how he drank wine and Sprite (or some soft drink) constantly and got really sick while drinking all night, and then he gave it up for a week or so, and then started back drinking? I remember the story, but don't recall the name.

Old 03-10-2021, 06:13 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,613,883 times
Quote:
They have to be at it for years and drink at least half a fifth or so, unless they have some underlying condition. Women fare far worse than men in processing alcohol. But there's some that drink like a fish and never seem to suffer consequences. My ex drank everyday and I thought he got away with it, had a clean bill of health, liver, kidneys, all blood work, looked great by the doc, and then bam....brain tumor and a massive stroke. Can't prove they were related, can't prove they weren't either. Destroyed our marriage and I'll love him forever, but if I we were speaking and I found out he was drinking I would want nothing to do with him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness