Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 06:19 PM

3,094 posts, read 1,998,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And I would add - BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN GIVING HUMAN MEDS TO ANIMALS.

One time, my husband was getting an Aleve out of the bottle, and it fell onto the floor, and our lab mix, who was standing right beside him watching him with great interest, just scarfed it down immediately.

My husband came into the living room and said, "You know, she's probably alright but did you know that Josie just ate an Aleve tablet?" I looked it up online, OMG! Super, super poisonous to dogs! Even 100 pound dogs.

We had to make her throw it up. Good times! I made him sit with her while she threw up and I made him go through her dog vomit to find it too. Hey, I don't do well with anyone throwing up.
Yes, I did say if a pet is ill, take it to the vet. I'd never "treat" an animal, or another human for that matter, with meds. But, a scrape is fine to treat with OTC cream.

There are also certain foods you can't feed dogs/cats. Here's a list from the ASPCA for dogs.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/anima...ding-your-pets

I'm concerned that anyone would consume pet food, too. If you read what really goes into their food, you'd avoid feeding the vast majority of it to your pets.

It's a lot of work... taking care of the wee ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2021, 08:54 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,437,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Some entertaining responses here.

I'm sure many are aware that some medications used for animals are the same as medications used for humans, albeit the dosages may differ.
I have a rescue dog, who, due to aggressive breeding practices, & horrible previous owners, just can't calm down. She was prescribed a well-known SSRI antidepressant & it's the exact medication & dosage that humans take. The pharmacist told me that he fills a huge number of SSRI antidepressants, tricyclic antidepressants & benzodiazepines to dogs, which was a revelation to me.

OTH, I know that lot of OTC pain relievers/anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen & naproxen are toxic for dogs, so being Dr. Google for animals isn't a good idea.

Old 08-26-2021, 09:10 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,898,602 times
I researched the lot numbers of a common fish antibiotic supplier once and discovered they are the same supplier for the human Rx variety.

When I worked at a humane society we had big 500-count bottles of "pet" antibiotics. They were exactly the same as the human variety. A local vet donated them near the end of their expiration dates and would give us Rx instructions when animals needed them, but we also took them prophylactically after getting cat bites. Basically, nearly 100% of stray cat bites become infected, but if treated prophylactically that number dropped to zero. It saved the humane society a fortune on worker's comp claims.

ETA: Here is a funny story. Many years ago I had a dog that required 2x day anti-seizure medicine. I was also suffering horrible back pain so I had a morning routine that I would get up, take my advil, and then give the dog her medicine. One foggy morning, I got up, took my medicine, and then suddenly realized I HAD TAKEN MY DOG'S PILL.

My first reaction was "I need to throw this up" so I tried. Stuck finger down throat. Nothing. Put a pen in gag reflex area. Gagged, but no throw up.

This was back when the internet was a little more spartan but I was able to lookup her med and discovered, it was actually a human med, and a small dose, but was in a class of drugs that maybe I was drug tested for. I was very nervous for awhile after that, but I never started chasing cars or lost my job.

Old 08-26-2021, 10:58 PM

2,270 posts, read 4,122,972 times
I get DMSO from TSC and prepare it by mixing it with lotion (something like 1/16 DMSO to lotion.

My Doc told me how to use it and the proper measurements (also telling me "TOPICAL ONLY) as if I were an idiot ( heaven only knows why he felt the need for the emphasis- I suppose he treated prior idiots).

It helps with my arthritis pain.

Old 08-27-2021, 06:14 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
I have a rescue dog, who, due to aggressive breeding practices, & horrible previous owners, just can't calm down. She was prescribed a well-known SSRI antidepressant & it's the exact medication & dosage that humans take. The pharmacist told me that he fills a huge number of SSRI antidepressants, tricyclic antidepressants & benzodiazepines to dogs, which was a revelation to me.

OTH, I know that lot of OTC pain relievers/anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen & naproxen are toxic for dogs, so being Dr. Google for animals isn't a good idea.
Bingo and your first paragraph is very interesting too!

Old 08-27-2021, 08:30 AM

5,710 posts, read 4,282,644 times
I used to use Mane n Tail hoof lotion before they changed it for human use. It was much better before. It has so many kinds of alcohol in it now its debatable whether it hydrates or dehydrates.

Old 08-27-2021, 09:46 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,202,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post

Thank you.

One of my dogs was hypothyroid, she took the same thyroid med that I did - except it was a MUCH higher dose.

I believe human insulin can also be used for dogs in certain circumstances. At the end of the day, TALK TO YOUR VET before giving anything to your dog/cat.

Many pain relievers and antibiotics that your vet prescribes can also be prescribed to you by your doctor.

Please note, I AM NOT ADVOCATING GIVING OR TAKING MEDICATIONS prescribed for you to your dog or vice versa.

Mostly, it may benefit folks to know that if your veterinarian prescribes something for your dog, ask if it is a human formulation, you may be able to get it at WalMart for a LOT cheaper than what the vet is going to charge you.

There are many OTC medications for humans that are also safe for dogs (aspirin, benedryl, dramamine, gas-x, just to name a few).

Old 08-27-2021, 10:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Thank you.

One of my dogs was hypothyroid, she took the same thyroid med that I did - except it was a MUCH higher dose.

I believe human insulin can also be used for dogs in certain circumstances. At the end of the day, TALK TO YOUR VET before giving anything to your dog/cat.

Many pain relievers and antibiotics that your vet prescribes can also be prescribed to you by your doctor.

Please note, I AM NOT ADVOCATING GIVING OR TAKING MEDICATIONS prescribed for you to your dog or vice versa.

Mostly, it may benefit folks to know that if your veterinarian prescribes something for your dog, ask if it is a human formulation, you may be able to get it at WalMart for a LOT cheaper than what the vet is going to charge you.

There are many OTC medications for humans that are also safe for dogs (aspirin, benedryl, dramamine, gas-x, just to name a few).
But not NAPROXEN!

Old 08-27-2021, 10:08 AM

3,078 posts, read 1,542,888 times
Quote:
Thank you.

lots of time if you tell the pharmacist at cvs etc that this med is for an animal they will give you a discount. Never hurts to ask.

Old 08-27-2021, 10:38 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,082,749 times
You just can't make this stuff up Anti-masker who organized protests against pandemic restrictions is intubated with Covid | Daily Mail Online He used the Ivermectin. Sad!

Last edited by atlguy44; 08-27-2021 at 11:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness