Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 07:20 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
they sure seem to be. I dont understand how people can just do what the medical profession or govt tells them to do almost no questions asked. I have never understood it.

I don't understand how you read the minds of millions of people, and know what they have and haven't asked or what they have and haven't learned or who they do and don't listen to.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2021, 07:41 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That's for sure. We just learned of a friend who was admitted to ICU with severe covid. He had gotten his third covid "booster" shot about two weeks ago. He has cancer, on chemotherapy and I know he wore masks, safe distanced, all that.

So much for the boosters........
You just explained, and then ignored, the fact that the booster shot had nothing to do with anything. The person is on chemo and basically has no immune system. Did you read what you wrote, or do you have no understanding of vaccine function?

Old 10-02-2021, 07:46 AM

Happily I have thallasemia minor and I can boost up on October 28th even though I’m below 65. Of course, anyone can boost up in New Jersey because providers are not allowed to request proof of qualifying underlying conditions. It’s to be self-reported only. I advise everyone to run it by their doctor, then boost up as soon as you are 6 months out from shot #2. It’s nice being able to live without fearing death and hospitalization from this virus. Thank you Big Billion Pharma for inventing this vaccine technology. Which will lead to more amazing biological engineering in the future.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:46 AM

110 posts, read 83,602 times
I got my first dose in Jan and second dose in Feb. I'm 29 and I work in healthcare. I'm in Canada and I have not heard much about booster shots for people in my position...they are prioritizing shots for the elderly and the immunocompromised

Old 10-02-2021, 07:53 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,581,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
So are you all willing to take these boosters indefinitely and unquestioningly? Or anything else the government tells you to take?
You're speaking as if those who take these shots are taking them because the government said they should, and not for a different reason.

No doubt some people are like this, but plenty are not. I have not taken any vaccines solely as a result of the advice of the FDA or CDC. I also look at corroborating evidence and the advice of other advanced countries as well. We had multiple countries with months of data before I got my first COVID-19 vaccine doses. When the same vaccine is independently approved in multiple advanced countries, that should strengthen the case for taking it, since many independent groups of scientists can look at the same thing and arrive at the same conclusion.

But many are content with just following the FDA/CDC.

Old 10-02-2021, 07:50 PM

1,199 posts, read 660,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Happily I have thallasemia minor and I can boost up on October 28th even though I’m below 65. Of course, anyone can boost up in New Jersey because providers are not allowed to request proof of qualifying underlying conditions. It’s to be self-reported only. I advise everyone to run it by their doctor, then boost up as soon as you are 6 months out from shot #2. It’s nice being able to live without fearing death and hospitalization from this virus. Thank you Big Billion Pharma for inventing this vaccine technology. Which will lead to more amazing biological engineering in the future.
I'm one of those who was the last to qualify for the first round of covid vaccines and again will be the last group to qualify (if ever) for the booster. The first time around I found it extremely frustrating as a 48 year old woman on a drug that lowers immune system (Prolia) and living as a wife and caretaker to someone with an immune deficiency and oxygen dependent pulmonary fibrosis that I still didn't qualify for the vaccine and in fact had to wait in line behind sixteen year olds fighting for a chance to get this vaccine when it was finally open to all. Before I even had a chance to get my first one the government suddenly decided to lift the mask mandate and open everything putting me and others at higher risk though I continued and still continue to wear a mask in public and avoid large gatherings. I was told by a state worker when I called asking about whether Prolia would qualify me as "immunocompromised" that it did not because prolia is not technically an immunosuppressant though it can still lower the immune system. I am amazed once again at how many people are able to get the booster now given all the restrictions and rules for getting it. Practically everyone I know has gotten one. I've been "advised" by others to lie so I can get mine but I just can't bring myself to do that. Others still need it more than I do.

Old 10-02-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
I'm one of those who was the last to qualify for the first round of covid vaccines and again will be the last group to qualify (if ever) for the booster. The first time around I found it extremely frustrating as a 48 year old woman on a drug that lowers immune system (Prolia) and living as a wife and caretaker to someone with an immune deficiency and oxygen dependent pulmonary fibrosis that I still didn't qualify for the vaccine and in fact had to wait in line behind sixteen year olds fighting for a chance to get this vaccine when it was finally open to all. Before I even had a chance to get my first one the government suddenly decided to lift the mask mandate and open everything putting me and others at higher risk though I continued and still continue to wear a mask in public and avoid large gatherings. I was told by a state worker when I called asking about whether Prolia would qualify me as "immunocompromised" that it did not because prolia is not technically an immunosuppressant though it can still lower the immune system. I am amazed once again at how many people are able to get the booster now given all the restrictions and rules for getting it. Practically everyone I know has gotten one. I've been "advised" by others to lie so I can get mine but I just can't bring myself to do that. Others still need it more than I do.

You mean you can't find anything on this list that would cover you? Because if you are 48 it would be pretty rare to escape all of this:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...onditions.html

Old 10-02-2021, 08:45 PM

1,199 posts, read 660,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
You mean you can't find anything on this list that would cover you? Because if you are 48 it would be pretty rare to escape all of this:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...onditions.html
I don't have a single one of those conditions. I am in excellent health. My only conditions are osteoporosis (well managed with the Prolia, HRT, exercise, supplements though I had a stress reaction in mid shaft tibia during the pandemic that had to wait for treatment due to shut downs) and hypothyroidism (also well managed with medication). I am a healthy weight and I do not smoke or drink. My lipid profile is very clean, blood pressure low, no anemia or any other blood condition (in fact I regularly donate blood). I work from home as a full time medical coder. However, I am a caregiver and wife to someone with HIV, pulmonary fibrosis, and rheumatoid arthritis. But apparently the state health department also told me this does not qualify me to get an early covid vaccine, especially if he is able to get a vaccine himself. I did talk with someone from the state health department on the phone before my first vaccine because back in March I was randomly invited to fill out a form to get the vaccine, but then I was turned down because I did not meet qualifications after filling out the form. So I had to wait until May to get vaccinated the first round. Strangely two years prior I was talked into getting the pneumonia vaccine even though only 46 years old at that time because of being on Prolia which put me at increased risk for pneumonia due to lowered immune system. Go figure.

Old 10-02-2021, 08:51 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williepaws View Post
they sure seem to be. I dont understand how people can just do what the medical profession or govt tells them to do almost no questions asked. I have never understood it.
How do you know people aren't asking questions? Because you don't believe some of the answers? Because the tide is going against you?

Old 10-02-2021, 08:58 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
That's for sure. We just learned of a friend who was admitted to ICU with severe covid. He had gotten his third covid "booster" shot about two weeks ago. He has cancer, on chemotherapy and I know he wore masks, safe distanced, all that.

So much for the boosters........
But why say "So much for the boosters"? He obviously had immune system issues and it's possible his immune system wasn't activated by the vaccine. No one ever said it was 100% - tell me WHAT in life IS? So if I'm having to roll the dice I'll take the 95% coverage from the vaccine and mask up in public.

What are YOU choosing to do that is so much better than that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness