Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2022, 07:13 PM

1,971 posts, read 1,934,965 times

Advertisements

This past thursday i think I collapse at work

at first i started to feel sleepy. sometimes when i feel sleepy a at work it is not strong enough to affect my abilities. but this Thursday.. i started to feel a slight sleepiness. eventuallly it got strong this is similar to beeing sleepy at nights and you try to fight it when you are watching a tv program or reading.

it became so strong that i could not continue working. i had to stop everything to rush to a break room and sit in a couch. i was out cold for over 20 minutes. for the rest of the day i was back to normal.

what caused this? sometimes during the day i feel a slight sleepiness that does not affect me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2022, 07:28 PM

5,957 posts, read 3,706,857 times
My wife used to have that problem/condition years ago when she was still working. What she did to combat the problem was to go to the ladies lounge/restroom and take about a 45 minute nap on a couch every day during her lunch hour. Otherwise, she would just fall asleep at her desk while reading or writing something.

Even today, years later, she needs about a 45 minute nap every day after lunch in order to function. I think the condition may be called "narcolepsy" although she was never "officially" diagnosed with that by a doctor. It's just something that she learned to deal with, and thankfully she had an understanding boss where she worked.

Old 05-23-2022, 05:06 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post

at first i started to feel sleepy. sometimes when i feel sleepy a at work it is not strong enough to affect my abilities. but this Thursday.. i started to feel a slight sleepiness. eventuallly it got strong this is similar to beeing sleepy at nights and you try to fight it when you are watching a tv program or reading.

it became so strong that i could not continue working. i had to stop everything to rush to a break room and sit in a couch. i was out cold for over 20 minutes. for the rest of the day i was back to normal.

what caused this? sometimes during the day i feel a slight sleepiness that does not affect me
If you're collapsing at work, you need to get to a doctor/urgent care/emergency room right away. There's nothing that strangers on the internet can tell you.

Old 05-23-2022, 07:30 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
maybe sleep apnea, where you stop breathing in your sleep. It keeps you from sleeping soundly, then you're very tired during the day.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:39 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
If you're collapsing at work, you need to get to a doctor/urgent care/emergency room right away. There's nothing that strangers on the internet can tell you.
This. OP its one thing to feel sleepy at work. I bet almost everyone has felt sleepy at work at one time or another but they didn't actually faint and pass out cold! That is not normal sleepiness, that's a serious medical problem. It could happen while you're operating machinery, while you're walking somewhere. You could collapse, fall, hit your head and end up with a more serious injury that could have lasting consequences. It could also happen while you're driving. Dangerous not only for you but for everyone else around you.

Unless what you actually meant by "out cold for over 20 minutes" was taking a nap, sounds as if you should be making an appointment with your doctor.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-23-2022 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-23-2022, 01:46 PM

7,234 posts, read 4,542,662 times
Did you have anything to eat before you felt sleepy?

Sometimes a large meal sends blood to your stomach and intestines to digest and makes you very tired.

Old 05-23-2022, 01:49 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,235,771 times
Have you done a COVID test?

Old 05-23-2022, 02:44 PM

761 posts, read 445,570 times
Quote:

When you said you were "out cold" you mean you fell asleep, right?

So, you were sleep deprived. Make sure you get more sleep at night, otherwise you might lose your job.

Old 05-23-2022, 02:49 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Did you have anything to eat before you felt sleepy?

Sometimes a large meal sends blood to your stomach and intestines to digest and makes you very tired.
Or it's low blood pressure or low blood sugar or any number of conditions that the OP should ask their doctor about.

Old 05-23-2022, 04:27 PM

327 posts, read 132,345 times
Quote:
At first i started to feel sleepy. sometimes when i feel sleepy a at work it is not strong enough to affect my abilities. but this Thursday.. i started to feel a slight sleepiness. eventuallly it got strong this is similar to beeing sleepy at nights and you try to fight it when you are watching a tv program or reading. it became so strong that i could not continue working. i had to stop everything to rush to a break room and sit in a couch. i was out cold for over 20 minutes. for the rest of the day i was back to normal.
Generally it's lack of sleep. 8-10 hours is normal for healthy people. But you might not be sleeping well. So you might be getting only 2 -4 hours of good sleep. Get your blood checked by your doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness