Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2022, 10:19 AM

761 posts, read 447,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

Humans are neither carnivores nor herbivores. We are omnivores. We lack the short digestive track required for efficient processing of a meat-exclusive diet, and we lack the nutritional absorption abilities of an herbivore for efficient processing of a plant-exclusive diet. With the right supplements we can CHOOSE a plant-exclusive diet, but we have to supplement in order to do that. Why? Because we are not herbivores. We are omnivores.
As I just explained to someone else, I'd much rather have to supplement with B12 once a day than to end up like the average omnivore who is overweight and suffering from various degenerative diseases. And as a result they need to take various medications which is worse than simply taking a supplement. A supplement, if properly dosed, has no side effects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2022, 10:31 AM

761 posts, read 447,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Hm. Perhaps. I am 55, have a BMI of just under 21, I am pretty muscley, I have ab muscles. I do tons of dedicated cardio and lift weights.

I do have ill health as I have autoimmune issues, and every doctor has commended me for how well I take care of myself. I am super pro-active, and treat everything with diet and exercise before trying any meds. My diet is pretty clean, I make almost everything from scratch. My husband makes my bread, it is some crazy recipe from one of the medical hospitals and has like 30 ingredients. It doesn't spike my blood sugar when I eat. Yeah, I test my blood sugar all the time to make sure the things I eat don't spike it.

I have tried a wide variety of diets to treat my autoimmune problems, gluten free, meat free.... nothing helped. I tried an all homemade juice diet for 2 darn months... nada. I've tried supplements and herbs. Nada.
Sorry to hear you have an autoimmune disease, but as time goes on more and more medical doctors are learning that lifestyle has a lot to do with autoimmune diseases. I can't say anything about your situation because I don't know you well enough and there's no way I'd ever learn everything about you on a message board.

Anyway, no matter what I say it would likely be dismissed because most people just don't want to deal with having to make changes in their lifestyle.

You said you tried a meat free diet. But have you tried a vegan diet? And if you do try it you might need to take some probiotics to help establish your microbiome with the healthy bacteria it needs.

Last edited by LongevitySeeker; 07-20-2022 at 10:40 AM..

Old 07-20-2022, 10:39 AM

48,532 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
Sorry to hear you have an autoimmune disease, but as time goes on more and more medical doctors are learning that lifestyle has a lot to do with autoimmune diseases. I can't say anything about your situation because I don't know you well enough and there's no way I'd ever learn everything about you on a message board.

Anyway, no matter what I say it would likely be dismissed because most people just don't want to deal with having to make changes in their lifestyle.
My doctors all were very lifestyle oriented, and like I said, they all commended me on my diet and exercise.

I had one of the top doctors and basically what he said,is while lifestyle choices can make the condition worse, even a perfect lifestyle would not make it better.

Please do not even pretend to understand autoimmune diseases.

No never did vegan. I won't take probiotics, all reliable studies I've seen say they do not populate, you put them in, they do some good, and away they go. I do eat a very high fiber diet and eat a lot of fermented foods.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-20-2022, 10:41 AM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Noteworthy statement coming from someone who has dismissed multiple posts pointing out your refusal to separate meat consumption from the standard American diet. An intentional lack of distinction chosen to make your choices (and you) feel superior.

I've read the entire thread. The only blatantly dismissive poster has been the OP.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-20-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Noteworthy statement coming from someone who has dismissed multiple posts pointing out your refusal to separate meat consumption from the standard American diet. An intentional lack of distinction chosen to make your choices (and you) feel superior.

I've read the entire thread. The only blatantly dismissive poster has been the OP.
Agreed. Just because you eat meat doesn't mean you are shoving in bacon, sausage and ground beef three meals a day, and run from a vegetable.

Old 07-20-2022, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Agreed. Just because you eat meat doesn't mean you are shoving in bacon, sausage and ground beef three meals a day, and run from a vegetable.
Well I do lol.

To clarify, just because you eat meat doesn’t meat you’re partaking in excessive carb intake, sugary drinks, excessive fruit intake, or ANY processed food AT ALL.

In my case, I only eat meat/fish, eggs, cheese, salt and butter. My only regular drinks are water and one black coffee per day. My results have been astounding.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-20-2022, 10:56 AM

Make your decisions based on HUMAN studies rather than animal studies and propaganda:

Higher saturated fat = less chance of stroke:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31791641/

Hate diabetes? Eat more fat:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31097791/

Want to avoid coronary heart disease? Eat more fat:

https://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.e8707

Old 07-20-2022, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Well I do lol.

To clarify, just because you eat meat doesn’t meat you’re partaking in excessive carb intake, sugary drinks, excessive fruit intake, and ANY processed food AT ALL.

In my case, I only eat meat/fish, eggs, cheese, salt and butter. My only regular drinks are water and one black coffee per day. My results have been astounding.
Ugh.

And if your labs are fine, more power to you!

I did keto 3 times. Because of my medical conditions I get labs done all the darn time....

All times my cholesterol went too high, my inflammation markers shot up, and I had to much protein in my urine (kidney strain). Plus I felt like hell.

I did lose weight around my waist, I'm vain, but not at the expense of my health.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Make your decisions based on HUMAN studies rather than animal studies and propaganda:

Higher saturated fat = less chance of stroke:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31791641/

Hate diabetes? Eat more fat:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31097791/

Want to avoid coronary heart disease? Eat more fat:

https://www.bmj.com/content/346/bmj.e8707

Just a note, you really need the whole study to see what's going on. There have been studies like "eating keto saw healthier results than vegetarian", but when you read the actual study, they vegetarians were eating a super high amount of things like palm oil. So totally misleading.

Just something to keep in mind.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:06 AM

Good point. I don’t want to push propaganda like the other side.

Your experience is a great example of how “one size does not fit all” when it comes to diet. For me, I’ve not felt or performed this well since an age when diet had little to no consequences either way.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness