Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2022, 04:21 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
The human race has existed for around 300,000 years. During this time, we have ALWAYS been omnivorous. There has never been a time when homo sapiens has been herbivorous or carnivorous.

And again - since it hasn't sunken in yet..

Vegetarian is a dietary CHOICE, not a biological affect. People who CHOOSE to not eat meat are either vegetarians or vegans. Animals that CANNOT efficiently digest meat and MUST get their primary nutrients from plant matter are herbivores. Animals that CANNOT efficiently digest plant-matter and MUST get their primary nutrients from flesh are carnivores.

Humans are neither carnivores nor herbivores. We are omnivores. We lack the short digestive track required for efficient processing of a meat-exclusive diet, and we lack the nutritional absorption abilities of an herbivore for efficient processing of a plant-exclusive diet. With the right supplements we can CHOOSE a plant-exclusive diet, but we have to supplement in order to do that. Why? Because we are not herbivores. We are omnivores.
None of this has anything to do with the fact that humans do not have true canine teeth. They don't have them because they don't need them, and never have. Nor have any of their predecessors (h. erectus, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2022, 04:35 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,396,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
None of this has anything to do with the fact that humans do not have true canine teeth. They don't have them because they don't need them, and never have. Nor have any of their predecessors (h. erectus, etc.)
And having "true" canine teeth has nothing to do with the fact that humans are omnivorous. Having or not having "true" canine teeth has nothing to do with this thread, or with everyone pointing out that the thread's creator has a very clear agenda, which is to manipulate and spread doubt on actual facts about nutrition.

Old 07-21-2022, 05:26 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongevitySeeker View Post
I give you three and a half stars for the above post.

You're on the right track BUT: Eliminating animal protein is not just about reversing heart disease.

According to the author of "The China Study" you can eat a little animal protein but the best results come from eliminating animal protein completely.

You heard of a little thing called "A slippery slope"? where a little for some people gets bigger and bigger?

The author said if someone quits smoking would you tell them they should have at least one or two smokes per day?
Sure that makes sense. But then again (and I fully support the China Study) there are some long-lived and healthy populations (very low incidences or free from our diseases of affluence such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, HBP) who do use small amounts of animal protein as a condiment in their regular vegetable/whole grain dishes.

But they eat so much less of it than we Americans typically eat. And often grass-feed or wild and not feed lot or factory raised.

My husband & I might have a bit of white meat chicken (4 oz divided into two portions) in our otherwise veggie/grain bowls once or twice a week. And when our budget allows, we also might have a small portion of wild caught salmon or tuna.

But eggs, cheese, milk, processed meats, red meat? Nope...Very limited white sugar. Fruits are really sweet to us.

Luckily we like beans, greens and tofu, etc. And lots of different whole grains. Lentils are our best friends, along with barley...lol.

Old 07-21-2022, 05:48 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Sure that makes sense. But then again (and I fully support the China Study) there are some long-lived and healthy populations (very low incidences or free from our diseases of affluence such as heart disease, cancer, diabetes, HBP) who do use small amounts of animal protein as a condiment in their regular vegetable/whole grain dishes.

But they eat so much less of it than we Americans typically eat. And often grass-feed or wild and not feed lot or factory raised.

My husband & I might have a bit of white meat chicken (4 oz divided into two portions) in our otherwise veggie/grain bowls once or twice a week. And when our budget allows, we also might have a small portion of wild caught salmon or tuna.

But eggs, cheese, milk, processed meats, red meat? Nope...Very limited white sugar. Fruits are really sweet to us.

Luckily we like beans, greens and tofu, etc. And lots of different whole grains. Lentils are our best friends, along with barley...lol.
Yet there are also some very strong, long-living cultures in the world who live on meat-heavy diets.
The issue isn’t meat — it’s processed junk.
Some of the longest living tribes in Africa live solely on meat and grain, and they may very well be the strongest humans on earth. Watch “Best Ever Food Review Show” and look for the particular episodes. It’s quite mind-blowing how they live, with virtually zero contact from the outside world.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:19 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Low cholesterol is a marker for mortality in the elderly:

https://agsjournals.onlinelibrary.wi...5.2005.53106.x

(Full text available from that link)
Good news! Although being elderly is a marker for mortality, too.

My mother always had low cholesterol. Didn't affect her.

Old 07-21-2022, 06:24 PM

19,036 posts, read 13,948,655 times
I’ve been building my evidence pile for my upcoming confrontation with my doctor.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 07-21-2022, 06:26 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Quote:
Why do you think so many dieters end up failing at some point down the road.
Wow, if we knew the answer to that, we'd be billionaires!

Once I was doing PR for a physician-managed weight loss program for the morbidly obese. It was instructive learning about the program. There were three main components--psychological, physical, and spiritual. Plus the nutrition, of course.

The first step for a new member was to bring a full front and back photo of themselves in their underwear. The reason was that some didn't really know how heavy they looked--they never really viewed themselves--and some avoided the scale altogether.

Then the psychological part often revealed a background of abuse--physical, mental or sexual. The added weight was protection & self-comfort. A psychologist was part of the staff.

There might have been spiritual support like AA, calling on a higher power...I don't recall exactly.

The nutritional cravings were identified and analyzed and a custom diet plan was designed for each member.

Until these aspects were addressed, the doctors told me dieting success was doomed to failure--the emotional component had to faced and understood.

This all made a lot of sense to me. My smoking had a lot of emotional connections for me. When I quit, it was losing a close friend--albeit a close friend who was trying to kill me. lol. Nevertheless, I went through a depression without my buddy, the cigarette. It made me face some past demons to get t the other side.

Humans are complicated, yes?
I can relate to the quitting smoking. It did indeed feel as if I lost my best friend. Weird, but true. The best friend might have been trying to kill us, but he made me feel good in the meantime. My mind was sharper, I was more efficient, except for the parts where I had to go outside to smoke lol.

After I quit, a couple of people said, "There, don't you feel better?" Huh? No, of course not.

I am glad I quit. Money, the smell, the social repercussions, the control the nicotine has. I am glad they are gone. But smoking made me feel better. That is why I smoked.

Old 07-21-2022, 07:09 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I can relate to the quitting smoking. It did indeed feel as if I lost my best friend. Weird, but true. The best friend might have been trying to kill us, but he made me feel good in the meantime. My mind was sharper, I was more efficient, except for the parts where I had to go outside to smoke lol.

After I quit, a couple of people said, "There, don't you feel better?" Huh? No, of course not.

I am glad I quit. Money, the smell, the social repercussions, the control the nicotine has. I am glad they are gone. But smoking made me feel better. That is why I smoked.
Fifteen years out.... still get that craving.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-21-2022, 08:47 PM

3,073 posts, read 1,997,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yet there are also some very strong, long-living cultures in the world who live on meat-heavy diets.
The issue isn’t meat — it’s processed junk.
Some of the longest living tribes in Africa live solely on meat and grain, and they may very well be the strongest humans on earth. Watch “Best Ever Food Review Show” and look for the particular episodes. It’s quite mind-blowing how they live, with virtually zero contact from the outside world.
Those outlier groups are very interesting, like the Georgian nomads who live on mostly yogurt & piping hot rice & fresh milk (goat, I believe) & live to be over 100, remaining in good health, riding their horses. Maybe that's why my mum had such a strong constitution... she was Lithuanian, grew up in Siberia & could eat anything & thrive. She was 4'11", built like a bird & strong as an ox. I've seen her lift 50-lb bags of potatoes like it was a small, yapping pooch. Sadly, I didn't inherit her strength or fortutitude... a hangnail can take me out for a day.

Old 07-22-2022, 03:21 AM

3,934 posts, read 2,186,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinwomb View Post
Thank you, I appreciate your concern, kind tone, and for not tearing me down. I am under a lot of stress right now and confused about a lot of things. Unfortunately, an increasing number of medical professionals are pushing a plant based diet. I've had at least one nurse and two doctors try to convince me to cut out dairy and severely limit eggs, that it's bad for your health (in general, not for me specially), KNOWING my eating disorder history.

Also, health insurance is notorious for denying coverage for a dietitian or eating disorder treatment. The last time I went through treatment I walked away from it far too soon due to insurance denials and racking up $9000 in out of pocket costs. I am currently seeing a therapist but not specifically for eating disorder.

It just seems that more and more medical professionals are pushing either extreme, Keto or vegan. I AM concerned about my LDL increasing but no one else seems to think it's a big deal because it's still in healthy range and better than they see with most people. I guess I will spend more time exploring my true motives for wanting to go back to being full out vegan. I feel the medical establishment is not as objective as it used to be, that even there everyone has their agenda and opinions about what is healthiest, regardless of the patient. Frustrating.
A suggestion.
You sound like a very sensitive to outside influences individual, especially if they could be an authority in a specific “triggering” (your word) field of nutrition and diet - doctors, nurses.

Currently a change in your lab results may lead you to take some form of perceived control like another type of diet.

Before you change anything, do some keywords search on medical blood tests, lab equipment, calibration in labs, different methods and procedures in blood testing, tests relevance, the role of cholesterol in the body, 2 types of LDL cholesterol - in US we don’t differentiate, a percentage of cholesterol contribution from diet, etc

Try to read only scientific medical articles - not connected with lobbyists- unfortunately it is becoming difficult too.
Other countries’ scientists may have a different type research, POV - look it up too for comparison.

You could be surprised how irrelevant your worry may end up being.

Even look up the prescription drugs for cholesterol - read the inserts warnings and disclaimers by the manufacturers and research more.

Eating the same meal with your husband is a treat and a family communions.
You don’t have to eat the same amount, you could omit certain foods- but it feels sad that you even have separate pans for cooking - unless it is a religious requirement in your family.

Being active outside in the nature could have more healing effects than any other means

Last edited by L00k4ward; 07-22-2022 at 03:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness