Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 01:54 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times

Advertisements

I haven't gained a single pound, in over two years of WFH. I burn less energy, but also don't eat as much.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 12-05-2022 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2022, 07:13 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,428,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Remember, the total percentage of obese and overweight persons in the US before modern wheat was introduced into the food supply in 1984 was 14%. Connect the dots people
It's not just wheat. it's sugar, it's high fructose corn syrup, it's soy - all of this crap is killing us. And as someone who can't eat gluten, I know just how hard it is to avoid. There's also a cost factor. Foods free of those things tend to be more expensive and have a longer shelf life. If someone needs to feed their family on a limited budget, they are going to have to make their $$ stretch and often have no choice but to buy less healthy options. This is why there's a correlation between obesity and poverty.

There was a study done that showed we are fatter now, even when the same number of calories are eaten and we exercise the same amount.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-1980s/407974/

Here's another study where mice were given the same, exact number of calories. One group got their calories from regular sugar. The other got their calories from high fructose corn syrup. The rats who got high fructose corn syrup became obese. The other rats didn't. Again, same number of calories. High Fructose Corn Syrup is relatively new, and is now added to just about everything, because it's cheap and has addictive qualities, meaning people tend to buy more. Buying more = food manufacturers making for $$$. This is part of the reason why I grew up eating Fruit Loops for breakfast and wasn't obese. The Fruit Loops today are not the same as the Fruit Loops in 1980.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2010/...-syrup-prompts

Old 12-07-2022, 08:01 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,564,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
It's not just wheat. it's sugar, it's high fructose corn syrup, it's soy - all of this crap is killing us. And as someone who can't eat gluten, I know just how hard it is to avoid. There's also a cost factor. Foods free of those things tend to be more expensive and have a longer shelf life. If someone needs to feed their family on a limited budget, they are going to have to make their $$ stretch and often have no choice but to buy less healthy options. This is why there's a correlation between obesity and poverty.

There was a study done that showed we are fatter now, even when the same number of calories are eaten and we exercise the same amount.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-1980s/407974/

Here's another study where mice were given the same, exact number of calories. One group got their calories from regular sugar. The other got their calories from high fructose corn syrup. The rats who got high fructose corn syrup became obese. The other rats didn't. Again, same number of calories. High Fructose Corn Syrup is relatively new, and is now added to just about everything, because it's cheap and has addictive qualities, meaning people tend to buy more. Buying more = food manufacturers making for $$$. This is part of the reason why I grew up eating Fruit Loops for breakfast and wasn't obese. The Fruit Loops today are not the same as the Fruit Loops in 1980.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2010/...-syrup-prompts
Hard to believe people still want to debate calories in vs calories out. And clearly putting a page worth of links will not convince naysayers, so no need to bother.

Old 12-12-2022, 05:33 PM

984 posts, read 442,423 times
Yes, I have gained weight. I'm making a conscious effort not to snack now, though... I was spending my afternoons nibbling on a handful of this, a few bites of that. It adds up! I keep fresh fruit on the edge of the counter when I first walk into the kitchen, so if I am actually hungry and not just bored, I will try to remind myself to grab an apple or banana instead of a handful of chips or a couple cookies.

That being said, you cannot control your wife's weight. If you try to tell her what to eat, she'll simply do the opposite. You can never control another person's food intake. Even toddlers will clamp their mouths shut if you're too pushy with veggies. Asking her if she'll go for a walk with you or offering to make her a salad for lunch since you're making one for yourself anyway is a far better approach than commenting on how many times she grabs an Oreo.

Old 12-12-2022, 06:50 PM

3,429 posts, read 1,564,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
Yes, I have gained weight. I'm making a conscious effort not to snack now, though... I was spending my afternoons nibbling on a handful of this, a few bites of that. It adds up! I keep fresh fruit on the edge of the counter when I first walk into the kitchen, so if I am actually hungry and not just bored, I will try to remind myself to grab an apple or banana instead of a handful of chips or a couple cookies.

That being said, you cannot control your wife's weight. If you try to tell her what to eat, she'll simply do the opposite. You can never control another person's food intake. Even toddlers will clamp their mouths shut if you're too pushy with veggies. Asking her if she'll go for a walk with you or offering to make her a salad for lunch since you're making one for yourself anyway is a far better approach than commenting on how many times she grabs an Oreo.
I never said I was trying to (I have no idea why you and others honed in on my wife when that was not the point of the original post). I was using her and a client's situation (which you ignored) and questioned if this will be a trend going forward for those WFH on gaining weight and becoming obese. You might want to re-read the original post (I said nothing to my wife [that's just something you made up]...however she has taken the time to mentioned that she is having an issue due to the proximity of food choices being near her vs work where she doesn't practice this behavior). You're the same one that made the other nasty comment which was removed if I recall.

Here's one study on what I'm talking about that apparently you missed but was posted earlier in the thread

https://obesitymedicine.org/achievin...ents-continue/

Possibly the most important variable with weight gain and weight loss is caloric intake. How much a person eats is controlled by an incredibly complex network of factors ranging from genetics and hormones to food availability and emotional state. When working remotely, the distance between the workstation and food has been drastically decreased, sometimes to mere feet, so that food availability is much higher.

Focus on the topic at hand....will WFH put the U.S. in the top 10 for obesity....and not your false assumptions of what I said to my wife which has nothing to do with the topic.

Last edited by blameyourself; 12-12-2022 at 07:12 PM..

Old 12-13-2022, 04:35 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
I haven't really lost weight, but I'm probably more active.

I'm a sedentary IT worker. At work, I'm generally going out for lunch. At home, I'll often eat something around 11:30, going for a walk on my lunch hour. Sometimes I'll go to the gym. I'm usually eating healthier options at home.

My big problem WFH is that I like to make a big breakfast. It's easy to fry up some sausage, berries, yogurt, etc. Working in the office, I'd usually get at Panera if I ate out at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness