Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2023, 01:52 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

My husband has had his hip replaced twice. Each time he was in the hospital for 2 nights. Before he left he had to be able to walk with the walker, pee and poop. He couldn’t drive for about 6 weeks, but that was because it was his right hip. If it was the left hip, he could have driven once he was off the pain meds.

He required PT the first time, but not the second time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2023, 01:53 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,141,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I had out patient full hip replacement on Friday. I don’t know why but I think I underestimated this surgery. I’m looking for other people who have gone this route and what your recovery time was like, like how long before you were able to use your Walker without assistance. How long before you could drive, shower, etc.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks!
it depends? the approach makes a difference.

I had anterior approach and spent less than 24/hr in the hospital. I was up walking within a couple hours of coming from PACU. I had no PT and was instructed to walk, that was it.

I didn't drive for about 10 days especially on the right leg because, well, you can figure that out.

I used my walker without assistance right away? I don't remember shower instructions but it was on my discharge instructions.

Old 03-21-2023, 03:29 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I never heard of someone having this as an out-patient!
Yes, Healthcare has been making huge leaps in old-age procedures. I live in a fairly rural state, and we have outpatient joint replacement clinics here.

It is mainly because this state ranks near the top for having the highest percentage of retirees in the nation.

I am nearly at the end of the Baby Boom generation. I feel very fortunate in this regard. There is a huge crowd of Baby Boomers aging in front of me. As they require geriatric care the medical industry to making them commonplace. By the time I need joint replacement, the clinics should be very well practiced.

Old 03-21-2023, 04:59 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
Hip and knee replacements are profitable. Not called for in some instances and not for everyone. Talking from experience.. But you're too late for that. Sorry for your situation.
I'd check the Medicare reimbursements to the providers ( surgeon, surgical facility, PT providers before you start making that claim. And whether or not an individual needs the surgery is between that person and his doctor, based, in general, on the inability to walk, move the hip or knee joint without intense pain, instability and resulting immobility.

Old 03-21-2023, 05:09 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'd check the Medicare reimbursements to the providers ( surgeon, surgical facility, PT providers before you start making that claim. And whether or not an individual needs the surgery is between that person and his doctor, based, in general, on the inability to walk, move the hip or knee joint without intense pain, instability and resulting immobility.
Thank you! I've talked to or known a number of people who had THRs. People who needed a surgical repair of some sort of traumatic hip injury, to correct a congenital defect, as well as those with advancing arthritis damage. Every single one of them had exhausted non surgical options to address their pain/mobility problems beforehand. Can't recall any of them regretting it. Most felt it changed their lives for the better.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:27 PM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
One day hip replacement at a "surgicenter" is pretty common these days. My ortho guy works out of the regional hospital so that's where I'll have to have mine done. I had the consultation last year because I was in horrible pain after getting a cortisone shot to treat the pain from bursitis, plus I'm almost bone-on-bone with arthritis.

Turns out, the pain after the shot was because I had a low-grade infection in the bone caused by the needle, but it healed itself and I was fine for the next 6 months. The cortisone is juuuuuust starting to wear off now, 6 months later, and it'll be another 4-10 months before I'm in enough pain that I'll need to "do" something about it. This was the third of the only 3 cortisone shots that I'll ever be able to have, so the next stop is surgery.

Doctor says that it'll be outpatient, but in-hospital. I go into prep first thing in the morning, and hubby will be driving me home in time for supper. Physical therapy will be - walking. That's it. He says that is the #1 most effective method of healing from hip replacement surgery, and he wants me to start doing it within an hour of getting home from the surgery.

I expect there will be pain meds involved for the first few days. I'm okay with it. I have a cane that I've used on occasion, and will dust it off and use it again.

Old 03-21-2023, 07:59 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
One day hip replacement at a "surgicenter" is pretty common these days. My ortho guy works out of the regional hospital so that's where I'll have to have mine done. I had the consultation last year because I was in horrible pain after getting a cortisone shot to treat the pain from bursitis, plus I'm almost bone-on-bone with arthritis.

Turns out, the pain after the shot was because I had a low-grade infection in the bone caused by the needle, but it healed itself and I was fine for the next 6 months. The cortisone is juuuuuust starting to wear off now, 6 months later, and it'll be another 4-10 months before I'm in enough pain that I'll need to "do" something about it. This was the third of the only 3 cortisone shots that I'll ever be able to have, so the next stop is surgery.

Doctor says that it'll be outpatient, but in-hospital. I go into prep first thing in the morning, and hubby will be driving me home in time for supper. Physical therapy will be - walking. That's it. He says that is the #1 most effective method of healing from hip replacement surgery, and he wants me to start doing it within an hour of getting home from the surgery.

I expect there will be pain meds involved for the first few days. I'm okay with it. I have a cane that I've used on occasion, and will dust it off and use it again.

Why can you only have 3 cortisone injections ever?

Old 03-21-2023, 08:51 PM

14,944 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Thank you! I've talked to or known a number of people who had THRs. People who needed a surgical repair of some sort of traumatic hip injury, to correct a congenital defect, as well as those with advancing arthritis damage. Every single one of them had exhausted non surgical options to address their pain/mobility problems beforehand. Can't recall any of them regretting it. Most felt it changed their lives for the better.
That's been my experience as well, ie, family and friends that have had knee or hip replacements. They had bone on bone arthritis, but waited until the pain got nearly unbearable before they had the surgery. They all seemed happy with the results and some wondered why they waited so long to have tge surgery.

My husband's knees are pretty well shot, from bone on bone arthritis and old wrestling injuries. He's been told he needs surgery but has been dragging his feet about it for several years, He's resisted the idea of knee replacement surgery, but recently found an orthopedic surgeon that he likes, and who comes highly recommended by a number of his friends. The surgeon agreed he needed knee replacements but in. no rush to do it, trying cortisone shots first.

Old 03-22-2023, 07:43 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,401,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
The initial concern was 10 years old, it was considered risky to get cortisone injections as pain relief from arthritis. All it does is reduce inflammation but there are a lot of potential side effects (including infection in the bone where the shot went in - which can lead to sepsis if not treated immediately).

A lot of the concern for cortisone is confused with the type bodybuilders take to "cheat" and bulk up, but these are different types of cortisones.

However in my case, the pain of the bursitis can certainly be improved with cortisone - but the arthritis cannot. It's chronic, progressive, and as I said previously, I'm almost bone-on-bone now. There will be a point in time when I can't walk at all, if I don't get the hip replaced.

I'd rather get it replaced while I'm young enough to recover well from it, and while I am lacking in other medical conditions that would require an overnight visit in the hospital and prolonged recovery.

The older you are when you have it, the more risk of complication and the longer it takes to recover. When I'm not in pain, I can still turn a cartwheel. So this seems like the right time for me.

Old 03-22-2023, 03:29 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
It’s not EVER, it’s within a certain timeframe. I’m not sure if it’s an insurance rule or a wellness rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness