Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2023, 06:28 PM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It’s not EVER, it’s within a certain timeframe. I’m not sure if it’s an insurance rule or a wellness rule.

I know that, but that's not what Ghaati said which is why I asked the question. They said
Quote:
"This was the third of the only 3 cortisone shots that I'll ever be able to have,"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2023, 06:49 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
It’s not EVER, it’s within a certain timeframe. I’m not sure if it’s an insurance rule or a wellness rule.
No, it's ever. For me. Some folks are not good candidates for cortisone injections. Each one they get increases the risk of death. I'm one of those folks who should try not to have any at all, but if I am going to get them, then three's the limit. I've had my third.

Old 03-22-2023, 09:11 PM

3,373 posts, read 1,962,433 times
I think I understand what you mean by underestimating the recovery period. I also had outpatient anterior THR last year and I knew many others who had it. They all seemed to say it was a piece of cake and recovered so quickly. I was walking the first day (with a walker) and I had PT at my house every day for two weeks. The PT was grueling and I had to speak up and tell the therapist that it was too much too soon for me. Once she lightened up, I got better faster.

I went from the walker to a cane in a little over a week. The bone on bone pain that I had prior to surgery was gone but the pain in the muscles in the front of my thigh and the my butt was really bad. Compared to others, my recovery was slow but after about four weeks the pain level dropped tremendously and I was able to walk without a cane. I felt like I had my life back and it was wonderful!

I'm so glad I had the surgery and as others have said, everyone heals differently. It's still very early in your healing process. Good luck to you!

Old 03-23-2023, 07:13 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I think I understand what you mean by underestimating the recovery period. I also had outpatient anterior THR last year and I knew many others who had it. They all seemed to say it was a piece of cake and recovered so quickly. I was walking the first day (with a walker) and I had PT at my house every day for two weeks. The PT was grueling and I had to speak up and tell the therapist that it was too much too soon for me. Once she lightened up, I got better faster.

I went from the walker to a cane in a little over a week. The bone on bone pain that I had prior to surgery was gone but the pain in the muscles in the front of my thigh and the my butt was really bad. Compared to others, my recovery was slow but after about four weeks the pain level dropped tremendously and I was able to walk without a cane. I felt like I had my life back and it was wonderful!

I'm so glad I had the surgery and as others have said, everyone heals differently. It's still very early in your healing process. Good luck to you!
For my husbands most recent hip replacement, he was given gabapentin, which helped a lot with the nerve pain while the affected nerves were healing.

Old 03-23-2023, 11:46 AM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
For my husbands most recent hip replacement, he was given gabapentin, which helped a lot with the nerve pain while the affected nerves were healing.

my surgeon used intraoperative 'numbing' drugs to locally anesthetize the area. it was a longer lasting drug that maintained numbness in the area for about 4 days which helped with pain quite a bit and minimized the need for oral pain meds.

Old 03-25-2023, 06:29 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,265,157 times
Hi everyone. Update to my progress. I have PT coming to my house 3 times per week and I am doing exercises as prescribed. My PT though has scared the crap out of me about the risks of falling so now I am afraid to use my Walker without my husband hovering. But I am I using it. My biggest problem now is that my entire inner leg from my groin down to my foot is numb. I have reported this to the PT who will report it to the doctor. I have a follow up appointment this coming Thursday so hopefully the doctor will have some input on the numbness.

And for those did not have PT, what was the reason? I cannot drive because it’s my right hip and my husband has to return to work so I may not be able to leave my house to go to PT. So frustrating.

Last edited by JenaS62; 03-25-2023 at 07:08 AM..

Old 03-25-2023, 11:05 AM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Hi everyone. Update to my progress. I have PT coming to my house 3 times per week and I am doing exercises as prescribed. My PT though has scared the crap out of me about the risks of falling so now I am afraid to use my Walker without my husband hovering. But I am I using it. My biggest problem now is that my entire inner leg from my groin down to my foot is numb. I have reported this to the PT who will report it to the doctor. I have a follow up appointment this coming Thursday so hopefully the doctor will have some input on the numbness.

And for those did not have PT, what was the reason? I cannot drive because it’s my right hip and my husband has to return to work so I may not be able to leave my house to go to PT. So frustrating.
the reason for no PT was that walking was sufficient. I just needed to walk, walk, walk.

please note I had an anterior approach which is a bit less 'traumatic' to underlying structures. it makes a difference.

Old 03-25-2023, 12:49 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,265,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
the reason for no PT was that walking was sufficient. I just needed to walk, walk, walk.

please note I had an anterior approach which is a bit less 'traumatic' to underlying structures. it makes a difference.
I also had anterior. I neglected to mention that in addition to the numbness, I also cannot lift my surgery leg from a laying down or sitting position. It feels like a dead leg.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:41 PM

3,426 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post

My doctor said there will be no scheduled physical therapy at all, because of the type of surgery he'll be performing and the type of device he'll be putting in. The only physical therapy needed for that will be walking. Every day, several times a day, starting from the day I get home from surgery (which will be the same day I go in to surgery).

Old 03-25-2023, 03:01 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
My doctor said there will be no scheduled physical therapy at all, because of the type of surgery he'll be performing and the type of device he'll be putting in.
This. I also had no PT at all. Just left the ortho's office and walked out. The End. The affected leg gave the sensation that it was longer than the other for a while. Part of it was a readjustment from favoring it/limping on it for so long and part of it was because the implant actually did lengthen my thigh very slightly. Only noticed it for a short time.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-25-2023 at 03:09 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness