Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 03:11 PM

4,548 posts, read 2,271,025 times

Advertisements

I had out patient full hip replacement on Friday. I don’t know why but I think I underestimated this surgery. I’m looking for other people who have gone this route and what your recovery time was like, like how long before you were able to use your Walker without assistance. How long before you could drive, shower, etc.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 03:27 PM

674 posts, read 608,609 times
PT here. Were you set up with home-health PT for a couple of weeks, after your surgery? The recovery period depends on a lot of factors, but most people I work with can walk within their house or apartment within a couple of days (using a walker). Most are independent after 3-4 weeks although some activities may take them longer to complete.

But everybody is unique, so do not compare yourself to someone else who had the same surgery.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
PT here. Were you set up with home-health PT for a couple of weeks, after your surgery? The recovery period depends on a lot of factors, but most people I work with can walk within their house or apartment within a couple of days (using a walker). Most are independent after 3-4 weeks although some activities may take them longer to complete.

But everybody is unique, so do not compare yourself to someone else who had the same surgery.
Hello and yes I have PT coming every other day. He gives me exercises to do.

Thanks for your input! Appreciate it.

Old 03-20-2023, 04:51 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
So many variables involved in THRs, both in surgical procedure and the patient they're using it on. Mine wasn't outpatient (spent 2 nights in the hospital) and due to the type of implants and how they were anchored, I was supposed to be non-weightbearing for 6 weeks while new bone formed around the implants. I was pretty young with healthy dense bone and good muscle tone, so they opted not to use any type of cementing materials. However, as long as I kept the majority of weight off that leg and followed a few range of motion restrictions, I could get around the house with crutches or a walker.

I was out of bed and walking the halls the day after surgery. No pain other than the incision, and my leg was functional to the point I had to consciously remind myself NOT to put weight on it. Recovery was uneventful. At the end of the 6 weeks a friend drove me to the ortho's office, they took a couple of x-rays to check the implant, I handed their crutches back, and walked out. No PT, no problems at all. That was over 20 years ago .

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-20-2023 at 06:01 PM..

Old 03-20-2023, 05:00 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,785,743 times
I never heard of someone having this as an out-patient!

Old 03-20-2023, 05:41 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'm looking at my calendar to get this right: I had a full replacement done 6-29-2018 as outpatient. I was 59. They had me up and walking to the bathroom (with a walker and a nurse to help support) as soon as the anestesia wore off. I walked to the car parked outside the surgery center (just a few steps), my son drove us home, and I walked up 2 steps and into the house with him hovering over me. While I didn't do a ton of walking those first couple days being able to move around my house a bit, to the bathroom, living room, kitchen, then back to bed was nice. A nurse come the next day to make sure I wasn't having any serious issues, then a PT came every couple days to show me some exercises to do. He had me walk across the street with my walker a week post surgery. I had a shower on day 6 but I took the walker into the shower with me and made it real quick. I drove through a nearby Starbucks on day 29 with my son, then to the movies by myself to meet a friend on day 30, I visited my office on day 34 and returned to work on day 39, a part-time desk job that didn't require to much standing or walking. I continued using a cane for several weeks just because I'm overly cautious, it's still in the trunk of my car! I went to PT once a week for 5 weeks then stopped becasue insurance wasn't covering it. They told me the best therapy was just walking anyway and not everyone even did PT.

I had an anterior replacement, which is supposed to provide a faster recovery. I'm 90% sure I'm going to need the other one replaced but I'm holding out until next year and plan to see the same surgeon. Being 6 years older might slow my recovery a bit but I'll be ready for it. One of my kids will stay with me while I recoup.

Last edited by Ceece; 03-20-2023 at 05:56 PM..

Old 03-20-2023, 07:55 PM

5,714 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Friend of mine went on a multiday canoe trip 2 weeks after her frontal. She was mid 60s HWP and fairly active

Old 03-20-2023, 09:17 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
I had out patient full hip replacement on Friday. I don’t know why but I think I underestimated this surgery. I’m looking for other people who have gone this route and what your recovery time was like, like how long before you were able to use your Walker without assistance. How long before you could drive, shower, etc.

I appreciate any input.

Thanks!

Your surgical instructions should have told you how long until you can shower

Recovery is different for everyone

Old 03-21-2023, 08:17 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,698,423 times
Hip and knee replacements are profitable. Not called for in some instances and not for everyone. Talking from experience.. But you're too late for that. Sorry for your situation.

Old 03-21-2023, 12:37 PM

No I needed the surgery but I underestimated the recovery time. My PT says that I am coming along nicely so I guess I should stop worrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness