Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2023, 12:45 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
My doctor already told me they don't do PT, the only recovery exercise they recommend is walking, and LOTS of it.
I didn't have any formal PT either. After the 6 week non-weightbearing period a friend drove me to the ortho's office, they x-rayed the implant to make sure things were still where they belonged, I handed in my crutches and walked out. I carried a cane around for a few days while I regained some confidence and balance (I'd been limping and favoring that sore leg for several years) but soon stopped. That was the end of that. Many THR recipients don't go through PT. As to be expected, YMMV.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-12-2023 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2023, 07:20 PM

3,437 posts, read 2,407,005 times
I can get a shower chair from one of my neighbors. I live in the largest 55+ community in the world (The Villages) so finding equipment isn't a problem at all. Just figuring out what equipment I'll need - I discovered that you need a - THING - to attach the toilet paper to, so you can use it when you're done doing your business. I couldn't believe they actually sell this stuff. Amazing. Or you can buy a bidet? Just crazy. I'm gobsmacked. This is stuff no one ever mentions on City-Data!

Old 06-12-2023, 07:34 PM

7,570 posts, read 3,241,406 times
Please remember that everyone is different and every procedure is different. It is not healthy to compare yourself to others on a fundamental level. I do understand why you are inquiring; but, it's best to just work with your medical professionals. I have other injuries/surgeries and so I know what pain and recovery are like...

My brother and one of my sister's had hip replacements around 60 years of age. They both reported very rapid recoveries and they both used walking as their exercise. One of my friend's mothers needed to have her hip replacement redone and was considering a law suit. So, you know, it's different for everyone.

Old 06-13-2023, 03:18 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
I can get a shower chair from one of my neighbors. I live in the largest 55+ community in the world (The Villages) so finding equipment isn't a problem at all. Just figuring out what equipment I'll need - I discovered that you need a - THING - to attach the toilet paper to, so you can use it when you're done doing your business. I couldn't believe they actually sell this stuff. Amazing. Or you can buy a bidet? Just crazy. I'm gobsmacked. This is stuff no one ever mentions on City-Data!
Never used a "thing" for toilet paper! Maybe my arms are longer than average . I bought a used run-of-the-mill shower stool, a grabber, and a sock/shoe puller, though have seen DIY designs since. Crutches rented from the surgeon, already owned a burl-wood cane because of limping for years. Only thing new was the toilet seat riser. It wasn't a separate commode, just a ring that attached to the bowl. Many second hand places can't/won't re-sell those due to the ick factor.

As for home prep, part of the pre-op surgery info my surgeon provided was a very useful checklist of things to consider and plan for. The only other prep I did was lay in some new books and movies, easy meals, beverages, soups, relocate frequently used dry goods, cups, plates, pots to the counter or most reachable cupboards and to raise my rather low couch higher off the floor with cinderblocks so I didn't need to bend too far from the waist.

Other prep included a good housecleaning, catch up on laundry or other chores, paid upcoming bills in advance (no home mail delivery in the area, pre-web), and arrange minor pet care help and an occasional errand with a couple of neighbors. I planned to WFH during the 6 weeks, so set up computer networking (again, pre-web) and selected larger low intensity writing projects. I lived alone and didn't hire any other assistance.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-13-2023 at 03:55 PM..

Old 06-13-2023, 06:07 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
I just got a date for surgery at the end of October, uhhhggg…

Old 06-13-2023, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I just got a date for surgery at the end of October, uhhhggg…
No idea where you live but if it's in the north, it'll be a great time to be stuck at home! Find someone you can hire to plow the driveway and keep your car cleared of snow for late November and the rest of the winter, and enjoy the mid-autumn air.

Old 06-13-2023, 08:53 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
No idea where you live but if it's in the north, it'll be a great time to be stuck at home! Find someone you can hire to plow the driveway and keep your car cleared of snow for late November and the rest of the winter, and enjoy the mid-autumn air.
I live in rural Maine, our heat is from firewood, our home is powered by solar power, and we produce most of our food.

When I built our carport, I was able to do it under budget at $5k. And that project has increased my standard of living a great deal. In mid-winter I can step outside, stroll to my car, get in and start it, all without stepping in any snow or ice. Once my defrost starts to throw out warm air, then I am ready to drive in -20F temps.

Old 06-14-2023, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I live in rural Maine, our heat is from firewood, our home is powered by solar power, and we produce most of our food.

When I built our carport, I was able to do it under budget at $5k. And that project has increased my standard of living a great deal. In mid-winter I can step outside, stroll to my car, get in and start it, all without stepping in any snow or ice. Once my defrost starts to throw out warm air, then I am ready to drive in -20F temps.

How do you get your car from the carport to the road without shoveling your driveway?

And - the whole thing misses my point: winter is a good time to be "stuck at home" because then you don't HAVE to be out and about in bad weather - while being "stuck at home" when it's perfect weather for a walk or bicycle ride or just enjoying fresh air at the park would be less desirable. I think the only downside to being stuck at home in the winter, would be if you're an avid skier.

Old 06-14-2023, 08:23 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Quote:
I’m located In the mountains of North Carolina and the weather is glorious. Sucks that I’m not able to hike or ride my bike.

Old 06-15-2023, 09:41 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
How do you get your car from the carport to the road without shoveling your driveway?
Also in my carport sits my diesel tractor with snow-blower attached.

Usually we get one snowstorm each week. One day of snowing followed by 6 days of clear sunny skies. Most of our snowstorms give 3 to 5 inches. So there is no need to clear the driveway, just drive and pack it down. It is only the 6 to 8 inches storms that need to be cleared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness