Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 04:22 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,006,146 times

Advertisements

Get some rest this weekend, back to work bright and early Monday.

Old 03-21-2024, 04:49 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,227,551 times
I had breathing issues with Covid back in Jan/Feb 2023. I did use my asthma inhaler, mucinex, sudafed, nasal spray, etc. Even if some of that does not directly affect your breathing it feels better to do something (especially if you are opting out of ER).

Old 03-21-2024, 05:03 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Guy in TX View Post
For the first time I COVID-19 according to home test I did today. First time I ever tested too based on the fever and itchy throat I that started early Tuesday morning. Yesterday it was around 99 F but at night it got to max 101. Hung around late 98 to 99 F today.

46 year old healthy male. No smoking and drinking. Work out 3x in the gym and very fit with low body fat %. I am up to date on all my COVID vaccines as well as the Flu shot.

I took generic TheraFlu before sleep last night so that helped a lot and I was also sweating.

Current temp is at 100 F. However I feel like I have 99 F. I have more energy today then last night. Throat is feeling better.

Doctor prescribed Lagevrio (molnupiravir) 200 mg but even with insurance and discount it’s $427. Paxlovid is $30 but it interacts with other medications I take. I was told to get prior authorization from doctor to see if drug cost could be covered. Not sure how long that will take. Pharmacist doesn’t think I think to take the medication based on me feeling better today.

Any suggestions?
I just saw this. I am so sorry to hear this. I was NOT up to date on my COVID vaccinations. Every time I attempted to get one last winter, we were turned away because we had a little cold, or were clearing our throats.

My husband was first diagnosed on December 22. My home test was negative. The next day I felt like crap. and was tested. I had COVID -19 for Christmas 2923.

I really feel for you. I never felt so sick. We are in our mid 60s, active and in shape. The only time I felt this sick was when I had mononucleosis as a teenager.

Like you, I felt better towards the evening. My fever was low, as your is. I woke up drenched with sweat. I have headaches and body aches.

Paxlovid was contraindicated for us, too. If you are feeling better, why spend $427? My Lord that's a lot!

Here is what helped us, for what it's worth. Maybe something will help. -

FLUIDS - which ever you can keep down and agrees with you. Stay hydrated. Water, ginger ale, sparkling water, and cranberry juice for me. DH drank Sweet Tea, also.

FOOD - we didn't have much of an appetite - either one of us. We did eat lots of soup. Chicken noodle, clear broth, and ramen noodle soup.
I craved tangerines and bananas. Both have vitamins and electryles that will help you.

I had a little instant oatmeal also.

Ginger snaps tasted good too. Also Saltines.

SLEEP as much as you can! My eyes were sensitive to light, so I kept the house dim.

My throat REALLY HURT. It started as an itchy tickle, and then in became painful. I found myself craving sherbet - raspberry and lime. It really helped to numb the pain in my throat. I highly reccoment it.

I had made a lime Jello mold salad and a cranberry jello mold a few days before I was diagnosed. Jello was also easy to keep down and cooling for my throat.

I took a bath with lavender Epsom salts twice. I am not usually a bath person, but it felt good and made me sleepy. It helped with body aches and pains.

Any pharmacy will have powdered electrolyte triple hydration drink mix. This made me feel better, too.

Wear comfortable clothes - sweats are good.

You will get through this!

Sending prayers your way for a swift recovery!

- Sheena12

Old 03-21-2024, 05:10 PM

7,011 posts, read 4,813,910 times
I feel like if you are testing positive, and it scares you this much, you should go to your doctor or at least a walk in clinic to get advice. Rather than rely on the opinions of strangers on the internet. No one here can diagnose, treat, or advise you.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:17 PM

1,196 posts, read 529,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I feel like if you are testing positive, and it scares you this much, you should go to your doctor or at least a walk in clinic to get advice. Rather than rely on the opinions of strangers on the internet. No one here can diagnose, treat, or advise you.
This is the worst advice ever. Telling someone sick, with a fever to leave their house for any reason to expose more people? How do you justify this?

This is the exact reason why there was any spread at all in the first place. Sick people going to the drug store, doctors, hospitals, urgent care - stay home unless you are in danger.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:19 PM

24,098 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCviaMD View Post
Vitamin C & D, zinc, and chill.
I forgot this - a friend of mine who follows natural and alternative medicine - Quercetin with bromaline. It is reputed to boost the immune system and make your COVID shorter and less intense.

Bromaline is also found in pineapple. It helps with healing - anything from a small cut - to COVID.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:23 PM

1,196 posts, read 529,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I forgot this - a friend of mine who follows natural and alternative medicine - Quercetin with bromaline. It is reputed to boost the immune system and make your COVID shorter and less intense.

Bromaline is also found in pineapple. It helps with healing - anything from a small cut - to COVID.
Good advice. I had forgotten about Quercetin and did not know about Bromaline.

Old 03-21-2024, 05:39 PM

7,011 posts, read 4,813,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
This is the worst advice ever. Telling someone sick, with a fever to leave their house for any reason to expose more people? How do you justify this?

This is the exact reason why there was any spread at all in the first place. Sick people going to the drug store, doctors, hospitals, urgent care - stay home unless you are in danger.
So you think it’s a better idea to sit at home, alone and afraid, and ask people on the internet to diagnose you and advise you? Lol, ok.
Covid is not a big deal any more, according to the CDC.
When you get sick, go to an actual doctor, get diagnosed and treated.

Old 03-21-2024, 06:21 PM

3,068 posts, read 2,396,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Yes. And after I had covid, my cardiologist wanted to do extra tests because they found a fair number of people in their practice who had had covid had heart changes that were problematic. That doesn't happen when one has "a cold".
Au contraire. From Mt. Sinai: "Myocarditis is an uncommon disorder. Most of the time, it is caused by an infection that reaches the heart...These can include the SARS-CoV-2 virus (the virus that causes COVID-19), influenza (flu) virus, coxsackievirus, parvovirus, cytomegalovirus, adenovirus, and others....There may be no symptoms. Symptoms may be similar to the flu."

From Johns Hopkins: "Myocarditis is rare, but when it occurs, it is most commonly caused by an infection in the body. Infections from viruses (most common, including those that cause the common cold, influenza or COVID-19), bacteria, fungus or parasites can lead to myocardial inflammation."

Old 03-21-2024, 06:42 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,093,260 times
I don't know anyone who had a hard time with covid, not even my 80+ year old grandparents. I mean, yeah you felt like **** for a few days, just like with the flu or a bad cold, but after a week we were all back to normal. None of us took medications, we were all vaccinated, though many of us were not boosted.

If you have any concerning symptoms, have them checked out, but if it's just a light fever, sore throat, headache maybe sore muscles/back, just get some rest for a few days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness