Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 02:22 PM

9,948 posts, read 7,844,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
One would have to possess a childlike, unquestioning trust in the pharmaceutical industy and our government, to not have serious concerns about these aggregious conflicts of interests. This goes beyond the general debate about whether vaccines in general have improved health and life expectancy. This type of funding is a blatant red flag that should never have been allowed.
Saw a recent interview that surprised me. The overwhelming number of pharmaceutical ads is not designed to sell more drugs but to have editorial control over the network to make sure nothing negative is ever said.

Old 05-21-2024, 02:40 PM

1,187 posts, read 888,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Saw a recent interview that surprised me. The overwhelming number of pharmaceutical ads is not designed to sell more drugs but to have editorial control over the network to make sure nothing negative is ever said.
Not sure what you are saying or how it takes form of the networks control of "negative is ever said".

"One would have to possess a childlike, unquestioning trust in the pharmaceutical industy and our government, to not have serious concerns about these aggregious conflicts of interests. This goes beyond the general debate about whether vaccines in general have improved health and life expectancy. This type of funding is a blatant red flag that should never have been allowed."

There's no conflict of interest with regard to vaccines. The pharmaceutical companies all got out of vaccine manufacturing because of individual lawsuits garnering millions of dollars per case. Practically all got out of producing vaccines. The government stepped in based on a common interest, not conflict, in passing laws to limit lawsuits for the common good. Vaccines were again instituted with special courts set up for making claims.

Yes, pharmaceutical companies are in it for the money. No money then no pharmaceuticals. Hospitals have to make money. If they don't make money then they close. The president at the time said we need a vaccine for COVID and the pharmaceutical companies said show me the money. He signed large paychecks to many companies in order to find a vaccine and get it on the market as fast as possible. Conflict of interest? That type of funding should never be allowed?

Networks have to make money. They get paid for presenting ads. If they can't make money then they won't exist. If they tell lies then they can get sued and lose money. Yes they have to be careful about what is being said on the network. They control the content and yes they control "negative is ever said". The election was stolen and the machines were rigged. Lawsuit against the network and they lose money. "Networks have to make money". That is the opposite of losing money because you said a stupid negative comment that wasn't true. The airways regulated.

Old 05-21-2024, 03:02 PM

7,371 posts, read 5,274,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Even a "minor disease" like chickenpox can have many implications for the medical system. Prior to introduction of the vaccine in the 1990's the disease killed about 150 children every year. It lead to over 10,000 hospitalizations every year. The economic cost of the disease was in the billions of dollars in terms of medical expenses. Wides spread use of the vaccine has cut most of these problems by 90%. Over a 25 year period over $23 billion has been saved due to the use of the vaccine.

http://cdc.gov/chickenpox/vaccination-impact/index.html

Exactly what agenda do you think may exist here? Please spell that out. I'm hoping we won't get into "crackpot thinking".
Agenda-- profit motive &/or political power/control

MLG-- your argument assumes technology has no limit...Isn't it amazing that God is so kind to us that he always allows us to find new drugs exactly in order so the new one is always better than the last? What are the chances?

Suzi-- not getting a vax only affects that guy. If others get theirs, they don't have to worry.

Mike-- Look what you started!!!

Old 05-21-2024, 03:22 PM

8,168 posts, read 7,546,723 times
I had to draw the line at the HPV vaccine for my 12 year old when it became commercially available. The pediatrician asked if I wanted him to get it, and I said "No, thanks". Then she said "But, it's recommended at this age" (by the AMA or whatever). To which I replied, "Look, he's not gonna be out there bangin' skanks". She dropped it.

Now he's 26 and if he wants to bang skanks that's his business and he can get the HPV vaccine without my knowledge or permission.

Old 05-21-2024, 04:43 PM

1,105 posts, read 623,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
It is actually the opposite. Those who are hesitant with vaccines are actually following the science and not getting answers to those questions.. those who are sheep and want to live in denial... call everyone else names.
Magical thinking if I ever heard it. Meaning, someone has an opinion based on nothing really, just some sort of made up science, then makes a pronouncement on it. Anyone remember COVID, where idiots were coming out of the woodwork w/ lies and false information to bolster their ridiculously dangerous stances? It never ends as long as stupidity overwhelms reason. But hey, kill yourself, let your children die, that's on YOU.

Old 05-21-2024, 05:34 PM

37,280 posts, read 41,507,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Agenda-- profit motive &/or political power/control

MLG-- your argument assumes technology has no limit...Isn't it amazing that God is so kind to us that he always allows us to find new drugs exactly in order so the new one is always better than the last? What are the chances?

Suzi-- not getting a vax only affects that guy. If others get theirs, they don't have to worry.

Mike-- Look what you started!!!
No, new drugs are not always better. Sometimes their only advantage is convenience, like pens for diabetes medications or pills that need to be taken less frequently.

No, if enough people choose not to vaccinate then we risk infecting not only them but those who cannot be vaccinated. For measles that includes infants too young for the first MMR, which is given at 12 to 15 months. A patient of Dr. Bob Sears (of alternative vaccination schedule fame) started an outbreak of measles, including infecting children in Sears' waiting room. The child was intentionally unvaccinated, at risk to catch measles, and his parents were not taught to recognize the symptoms. Neither were Sears' office staff. The child infected siblings, friends and classmates. The index child was infected in Switzerland.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5708a3.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I had to draw the line at the HPV vaccine for my 12 year old when it became commercially available. The pediatrician asked if I wanted him to get it, and I said "No, thanks". Then she said "But, it's recommended at this age" (by the AMA or whatever). To which I replied, "Look, he's not gonna be out there bangin' skanks". She dropped it.

Now he's 26 and if he wants to bang skanks that's his business and he can get the HPV vaccine without my knowledge or permission.
HPV is common. Not everyone who is infected is a "skank". Vaccination is recommended prior to the onset of sexual activity. That is why it is given at the age recommended.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10572037/

The AMA does not develop the vaccine schedule. That is done by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).

Old 05-21-2024, 05:54 PM

Theological arguments now? Ok god invented deadly viruses and bacteria and gave children leukemia. Storms and hurricanes destroy houses so we should not intervene in God's will by building houses. We should resort to human sacrifice to make it rain for the crops to grow. Something is off there.

I post on a few sites and more and more I see posts of young adults saying they were raised by antivaxxers and wanting to know all the vaccines they need to get as they are now emancipated. People out there know how weird it is. It isn't about one vaccine and the merits of one vaccine. It's a world wide-conspiracy and the whole world is out to get me. Remember when they ran out of toilet paper?

Old 05-21-2024, 06:07 PM

759 posts, read 626,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medical Lab Guy View Post
It's a world wide-conspiracy and the whole world is out to get me.
It's interesting how humans become intensely attached to their fears. They form themselves into tribes of similarly fear-driven people, especially helped by opportunistic social media and the internet. Certain classes of very privileged and/or very cynical and self-serving people know how to feed and exploit that attachment to fear, fear of unseen forces.

Those conspiracy believers are correct in a sense, someone is out to get them, but it's not scientists, it's the people feeding them the conspiracies. And they have in fact got 'em. Mission accomplished.

Old 05-21-2024, 06:41 PM

8,168 posts, read 7,546,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
HPV is common. Not everyone who is infected is a "skank". Vaccination is recommended prior to the onset of sexual activity. That is why it is given at the age recommended.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10572037/

The AMA does not develop the vaccine schedule. That is done by the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP).
Oh I know "not everyone " who has STDs is a skank. But I come from the AIDS generation and I'm well aware of who has a good chance and who doesn't, of getting a particular disease. Also keep in mind I was only concerned about one individual, not the teeming masses. And for all I know, he got the shot when he was in college. I'm not against it.

Old 05-21-2024, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
It's interesting how humans become intensely attached to their fears. They form themselves into tribes of similarly fear-driven people, especially helped by opportunistic social media and the internet. Certain classes of very privileged and/or very cynical and self-serving people know how to feed and exploit that attachment to fear, fear of unseen forces.

Those conspiracy believers are correct in a sense, someone is out to get them, but it's not scientists, it's the people feeding them the conspiracies. And they have in fact got 'em. Mission accomplished.
Self-serving is correct as they want to discredit in order to replace it with their own remedy. Supplements, natural products and organic etc. deemed the Crunchy Granola tribes out there including some pediatricians out there who don't believe in vaccines called Crunchy Granola doctors.

Here's the deal. You can't tell somebody to reject vaccines or anything else without providing an alternative. That's when all of the big lies start coming in to fill the void. They don't want to appear dumb to people out there and so they use pseudoscience. It's all opinion and as references they start citing themselves among themselves. When you go to the original sources when they are rarely posted the study in no way said what they are saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness