Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 03:50 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,067,214 times

Advertisements

Six reasons to skip vaccines, for kids & adults:

https://brownstone.org/articles/six-...ine-hesitancy/

Old 05-18-2024, 05:27 PM

1,187 posts, read 888,979 times
Without going into an argument about the substance of the claims as it isn't really impactful from a medical perspective, everybody has an unalienable right to being stupid. No one can take away that right. Stupidity can however be regulated by government. It tells people that they can not drive automobiles faster than the speed limit. It doesn't matter if somebody writes an opinion piece with six reasons why somebody should not follow the speed laws. People who don't agree with government policies can elect politicians to office who can change those things but it doesn't impact the science as science is not political nor democratic. The general population did not vote to have vaccines or not and they did not vote in determining if they were safe or not. The medical science is independent but funding for studies is not independent and that is the only way that the general population has a voice on impacting medical science. It impacts funding but not outcome.

One can generate political theatre and mobilize political sentiment but that doesn't impact the science. Science isn't one person making claims or citing what Fauci said or didn't say. People publishing articles or writing editorials trying to persuade the masses isn't the way that science works. People out there may think that's how it works but convincing the masses can't light one lightbulb.

Old 05-18-2024, 05:56 PM

3,314 posts, read 3,059,290 times
I never heard of them, so I googled "Who is Funding the Brownstone Institute?" because I like to know the background of where opinions like these are coming from. I found it quite interesting. They are far from impartial.

I'd like to see a companion article featuring people who did not avail themselves of vaccines and contracted preventable illnesses that can be incapacitating or fatal. Maybe Brownstone should seek them out. I doubt it would be difficult, as I bet there are a lot of them.

Old 05-19-2024, 09:41 AM

7,371 posts, read 5,274,985 times
I basically agree with the article....Big Brother and the profit motivated pharm industry has cried "wolf" much too often.

We Boomers and our predecessors all got measles, German measles, mumps and chicken pox as kids. The only ones who didn't survive were those who were immunocompromised-- and vaccines don't work for them very well anyway...None of us got measles twice, but our kids, who got MMR, still got measles as adults.

Small pox and polio were common and devastating-- the vaccines improved our condition without question....German measles contracted by a pregnant woman causes much damage and sorrow, so that vax for everyone is wise policy.

But there's little to recommend any other routine vax from the medical standpoint. It's all about profits and power.

Decisions to take other vaccines should be made after evaluating individual risks vs benefits, not by some Imperial Edict.

Old 05-19-2024, 03:26 PM

37,280 posts, read 41,507,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
I basically agree with the article....Big Brother and the profit motivated pharm industry has cried "wolf" much too often.

We Boomers and our predecessors all got measles, German measles, mumps and chicken pox as kids. The only ones who didn't survive were those who were immunocompromised-- and vaccines don't work for them very well anyway...None of us got measles twice, but our kids, who got MMR, still got measles as adults.

Small pox and polio were common and devastating-- the vaccines improved our condition without question....German measles contracted by a pregnant woman causes much damage and sorrow, so that vax for everyone is wise policy.

But there's little to recommend any other routine vax from the medical standpoint. It's all about profits and power.

Decisions to take other vaccines should be made after evaluating individual risks vs benefits, not by some Imperial Edict.
Every childhood vaccine is safer than getting the disease. Mortality is not the only consideration. For example, measles damages the immune system, causing a form of immune amnesia. This means loss of protection against previous infections.

https://asm.org/Articles/2019/May/Me...Immune-Amnesia

CNS complications of measles can be severe, including primary measles encephalitis, acute postinfectious measles encephalomyelitis, measles inclusion body encephalitis, and subacute sclerosing panencephalitis (SSPE).

CNS complications can produce permanent disability. SSPE is always fatal.

Did your children get two doses of MMR or just one? One dose is about 95% effective, two hits 99%. Considering that measles has been eliminated in the US due to a high vaccination rate and herd immunity, having two family members get measles as adults would be highly unusual. What year was that?

Complications of mumps:

https://www.cdc.gov/mumps/about/complications.html

Complications of chickenpox:

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...ses/chickenpox

https://publications.aap.org/aapnews...eck=redirected

Haemophilus influenzae type B invasive disease is now rare since the vaccine was released.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/pi...y%20vaccinated.

Infant vaccination against hepatitis B is already producing a decreased incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in the vaccinated group.

https://www.gastrojournal.org/articl...574-7/fulltext

HPV vaccine reduces cervical cancer

https://www.cancer.gov/news-events/c...r-sweden-study

Do you not advocate vaccination against diphtheria? Tetanus? Pertussis? Meningococcal meningitis? Pneumococcus?

Old 05-19-2024, 03:33 PM

12,005 posts, read 6,294,618 times
I just got my Pneumonia vaccine for old folks. So far, so good.

Old 05-19-2024, 03:44 PM

3,521 posts, read 2,514,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

No, we didn't "all get" those things. I was vaccinated for measles, mumps, and rubella (German measles). I broke out with chicken pox and so did my sister, who was unfortunate to get blisters in her throat and had to have an emergency tonsillectomy when she was only 6 years old. I was born in 1961 so yes I'm absolutely a Boomer, as is my sister who was born in 1964, the last year of the Baby Boom generation.

My community has mostly Boomers in it, it's a 55+ community of around 150,000 residents. Many of them tell of family who died from influenza - and most of these residents now get a flu shot as a yearly routine because of it. Some of them get the flu anyway but it's not deadly to them, as the shot has given them the antibodies to fight it off.

People BECOME immunocompromised by NOT being vaccinated, and then being exposed to sick people.

Old 05-19-2024, 05:24 PM

10,689 posts, read 7,901,632 times
Covid didn’t have much of an impact on kids so this is not really surprising.

As noted in one of the links inside the article:

“..Vaccine confidence is volatile and time specific. Additional data collection and further analysis will be required to determine if the findings are indicative of a longer-term trend. Despite the falls, overall support for vaccines remains relatively strong. In almost half the 55 countries studied more than 80 per cent of respondents perceived vaccines as important for children…”

Old 05-19-2024, 08:23 PM

8,322 posts, read 3,962,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I never heard of them, so I googled "Who is Funding the Brownstone Institute?" because I like to know the background of where opinions like these are coming from. I found it quite interesting. They are far from impartial.

I'd like to see a companion article featuring people who did not avail themselves of vaccines and contracted preventable illnesses that can be incapacitating or fatal. Maybe Brownstone should seek them out. I doubt it would be difficult, as I bet there are a lot of them.
Here is the Media Bias assessment of the Brownstone Institute.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/brown...nstitute-bias/

Bias assessment is Right with mixed factual reporting. In other words, they have an agenda - this "analysis" posted by the OP is far from impartial or scientific.

Old 05-19-2024, 11:16 PM

20,878 posts, read 8,692,571 times
I keep hearing BigPharma commercials promoting a new pneumonia jab, saying even if you have the original pneumonia jab, you still need this one. Then they read off the side effects which are worse than pneumonia.

The last jab I got was a combo tetanus shot in 1997. I recently found that paperwork. So I'm done. I believe in maintaining natural immunity through nutrition and supplements. Many people aren't educated in those areas so want magic pills and shots.

I believe in freedom of choice and bodily autonomy so frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness