Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 04:07 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,324 times

Advertisements

Okay, you guys convinced me. I am changing my diet, I am exercising, I am taking one aspirin per day.
I won't out live my pet, Princess, but gosh, if anything happened to me, she would be lost.
I know that sounds trivial, but for her it isn't, and she is pretty smart. Smarter than me sometimes.
Sometimes, I feel I am working as hard as a caveperson, but I don't want to walk around the wooly mammoth in the middle of the living room.
I think earlier peoples were more aware than some now, they had to be, to survive, to get by under horrible circumstances.
I think that "colder climates produced bigger brains" was true. Look at the peoples who left Siberia...
Anyway...you guys win...you convinced me, because you all had crap thrown at you, and you still want to make a life and look to the future.
But hey, wouldn't time travel be wonderful? To go back and fix all the mistakes???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 04:11 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
I'm not doing advice either, I agree with you, I'm taking as well, which is great, but have to say...SNAP...!!! with most of what you have said, and welcome to the real world. What, you think I don't watch every light switch to see they are in the 'off' position to save on the bills??

Coincidently I must live in the same world you live in. Statistically, the way you and I live FAR outway the richies and the well to do's, or haven't you noticed that. So be it, I am destined to be a battler so what the heck, I'm in a rather large club aren't I?

Who wants to be rich anyway. I'll tell you something for nothing, (1)you most certainly have a better diet than they do, (2)you have a better grasp on reality than they do! Read the papers, watch the tv, and see how many of these 'richies' actually have a brain in their heads, between the ears of most there is nothing but a vaccuum, and how many are karking it WAY younger than us....and finally, how many get the privelage, (spelling again), of talking to NORMAL people as you and I are?

I had to make a decision a couple of years ago about giving work up, (due to circumstances I won't go into here), how do you think I felt then, knowing that I would probably never get another job for the rest of my life because of my age, and I have'nt got any 'pieces of paper' from a uni or some other '2 day course' that is being given out to kids who don't know $hit about the jobs I have been doing all my working life. How many jobs do you reckon I have been made redundant from? That's life, welcome to the world of today! Where do you reckon I got my attitude from, I would grab life and strangle it to death if I could.

Any future plans I had for a future went out the window a few years ago. We are members of a similar club.

Nup, I'd rather stay poor and struggle, and fight the crap life throws at me thanks.........what other choices do I have? THIS IS THE LIFE FOR ME YEAH!
I agree...but I don't want to stay poor, I can't...I have bills and rent to pay. I am going to have to find a way. I dealt with a pompous HR recruiter yesterday, he was young and arrogant. He put words in my mouth with "So you think you know better than me about how to recruit people?" I said, "I was just asking why you keep running the same job openings for months, why don't you hire someone and give someone a chance, IF those are real jobs posted?" He said, "Oh we can be selective, we get a lot of resumes, so we don't feel we need to rush, and there are so many to go through (sic)"
I think he was really enjoying letting me know how much competition I was up against. Some people cannot handle any power. Or maybe they are just naturally arrogant.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:13 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
You are exactly right, and that is why I keep playing the Lotto. The odds of winning are subatomic, probably quarkishly small.
But if I did win, it would solve all my problems. I have no desire to be a status symbol seeker, just pay off the bills, buy a telescope, rescue abused animals in China, and maybe have a home. You get the drift...a life of sanity.

All of the pain we have been through has done something for us...I see it now, it made us who we are. I would far more trust someone like yourself than someone who has always had it easy (some of our politicians come to mind there...)
There you go!! You are echoing my sentiments exactly. I see the old heart's in the right place in a couple of things you said there too. You can see now where I get my, (probably a little head strong and arrogant), attitude to things, it's a result I suppose of what life has created due to not being a millionaire, but it's like I said, that's how the cookie crumbles I guess. Yeah, my other half still get those tickets in the hope we may be THE ONE in those umpteen squillion others who crack it one day. Hey, if it ever happens, I'll send you some twix. You will leave a legacy of sorts after you'r gone, just as I will I reckon, that will be for someone else to remember us by.

I went to a one teacher primary school, where one teacher taught the 7 grades, in a small country town, (there were probably only about 15 kids in the whole school in a given year till the new kids increased the numbers the following year), I don't think they exist anymore today, and I never forgot the teacher quoting this:

Life is mostly froth and bubble, but two things stand like stone,
Kindness in anothers trouble, and courage in your own.

This is one, of a few, I've carried with me throughout my life, it's not too heavy to carry, and I think it was written by one of your countrymen also.

Cheers.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,000,942 times
twixcookie wrote:
But hey, wouldn't time travel be wonderful? To go back and fix all the mistakes???
If you figure out how to engage in time travel, let me know. I'll give you a list of my mistakes to fix up while you're back there, and I'll pay you for it too. I bet you could make some really good money by travelling into the past and fixing peoples mistakes, probably alot more than winning the lotery. Your life would then be a piece of cake, and so would all of ours after we hired you to do some mistake fixing for us.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:13 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
twixcookie wrote:
If you figure out how to engage in time travel, let me know. I'll give you a list of my mistakes to fix up while you're back there, and I'll pay you for it too. I bet you could make some really good money by travelling into the past and fixing peoples mistakes, probably alot more than winning the lotery. Your life would then be a piece of cake, and so would all of ours after we hired you to do some mistake fixing for us.
I like your idea! I think twix would overloaded with calls. All we'd get is 'all circuits are busy'.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:32 PM
ino

680 posts, read 2,499,968 times
Quote:
Hope you got plenty of room for passengers twix 'cos I want a seat too!!

I've told my family that when I go 'down below' I'm getting a 24 hour pass to go 'upstairs' to get an audience with the 'main man' so that we can sort a few things out. I don't know if they have hospitals 'up there', but trust me, he's sure going to need one after I've had a word with 'him'.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
Quote:
Is there a point?
Aren't we just hatched at birth to find a way to survive and we don't live forever? Isn't life about struggling to survive? We aren't much different biologically than animals.
hatched?? ummmm......twix, do we need to have the birds and the beez talk? lol kidding......

Smileeeee!!!!!

Old 08-11-2008, 11:41 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,624,973 times
Re: going back in time...of course, in the tradition of the finest science fiction, you have to realize that if your mistakes from the past were to be fixed, then you (the present "you") would cease to exist.

But hey - I just heard that the US military is experimenting with making three-dimensional objects invisible by bending light rays, so I guess anything is possible.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:45 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
twixcookie wrote:

Sure, and I'd bring you back the "arms of the day" from the Revolutionary War or Civil War, if you'd like to collect them.
Funny how it works, if we didn't have these mistakes, we would never know how not to make them!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:47 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,515,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Re: going back in time...of course, in the tradition of the finest science fiction, you have to realize that if your mistakes from the past were to be fixed, then you (the present "you") would cease to exist.

But hey - I just heard that the US military is experimenting with making three-dimensional objects invisible by bending light rays, so I guess anything is possible.

The Hadron Supercollider might tell us a few things too about other dimensions..providing the scientists want to divulge the information. I could bet anything discovered like that would be like the next Manhattan Project with tight security because of the repercussions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness