Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do any of you take blood thinner medicine?
Yes 22 55.00%
No 18 45.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 06:19 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,998,710 times

Advertisements

Interesting, thanks for asking. (I guess it's really not too OT, right?)

I guess the question is the following ... let's say hypothetically that there is partial or extensive or even complete compression of a vein. Does the blood necessarily clot because it's 'clogged'? Or does it only clot if the individual has a clotting factor or tendency of some kind? Or does it depend on the degree of the compression? (And if so, does it also depend on the individual's clotting tendencies?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 03:15 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Ginger:
Ginger
Although it is much too early to tell if this will benefit those with heart disease, a few preliminary studies suggest that ginger may lower cholesterol and prevent the blood from clotting. Each of these effects may protect the blood vessels from blockage and the damaging effects of blockage such as atherosclerosis, which can lead to a heart attack or stroke.
…The use of herbs is a time-honored approach to strengthening the body and treating disease. Herbs, however, contain components that can trigger side effects and interact with other herbs, supplements, or medications. For these reasons, herbs should be taken with care, under the supervision of a health care provider qualified in the field of botanical medicine.
Side effects associated with ginger are rare, but if taken in excessive doses the herb may cause mild heartburn. Some of the mild gastrointestinal side effects, such as belching, heartburn, or stomach upset, may be relieved by taking ginger supplements in capsules.
People with gallstones should consult a doctor before taking ginger. Make sure to tell your doctor if you are taking ginger and will be going to surgery or placed under anesthesia for any reason.
Do not take ginger if you have a bleeding disorder or if you are taking blood thinning medications, including aspirin
Ginkgo:

Ginkgo - Yahoo! Health

Do not take ginkgo without first talking to your doctor if you have a bleeding or blood clotting disorder; if you are taking a medicine to prevent blood clots; or if you are taking other medications, herbs, antioxidants, or health supplements (these may also affect blood clotting). Ginkgo may affect the time it takes for the blood to clot.
Garlic:

Garlic - Yahoo! Health

Do not take garlic without first talking to your doctor if you have a bleeding or blood clotting disorder or diabetes, or if you are taking any medicines to prevent or treat a blood clotting disorder or diabetes. Garlic has been reported to affect blood clotting and blood sugar levels.

Genseng:
Ginseng affects blood drug

A new study has found that popular herbal remedy, ginseng, interferes with the action of anti-clotting drug, warfarin. A spokesperson for the Irish Medicines Board, which is responsible for monitoring the safety and efficacy of medicinal products in this country, has told irishhealth.com that the board is aware of the study.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 01-14-2008 at 08:25 AM..

Old 01-14-2008, 08:45 AM

87 posts, read 126,485 times
Exclamation Blood thinners

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, I take 7.5 mgs of Coumadin a day and well be taking this drug for the rest of my life. I take this for a past history of blood clots of lungs.

John
Coumadin is the commercial name for warfarin, an anti-coagulant that is present in rat poison. That's not a big deal in a grown adult person. I take 10mg of Coumadin daily (I am 189 lbs), and my INR is almost always 2.5 (must be between 2.0 and 3.0). If you are on Coumadin or any other blood thinners, you should not take vitamin K or eat lots of leafy greens, like spinach.

My doctor put me on Coumadin because I have atrial fibrillation (ATF).

Old 01-14-2008, 08:53 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
This is a great, cheap medicine. Just make sure to get regular Pro time blood tests, since you can go for months on the same dosage, and for no reason it goes kerplooey and you need to adjust the dosage.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:29 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,825,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggjacobsen View Post

...I take 10mg of Coumadin daily (I am 189 lbs), and my INR is almost always 2.5 (must be between 2.0 and 3.0).

My doctor put me on Coumadin because I have atrial fibrillation.
I am on Coumadin for the same reason, but I don't take nearly as much as you even though I weigh a hundred pounds more.

I stay in the 2.0-3.0 range by taking 2.5mg Sunday, Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and 3.75mg Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

The biggest drawback of being on Coumadin for me is that I have severe degenerative osteoarthritis and I can no longer take any NSAID drugs, which all arthritis pain relievers are, including Aspirin. I can take Tylenol, but have to take so much that it would be toxic, so I don't use that. That only leaves the opiates like Vicodin or Norco.

They do work for the pain, but I don't use them because I don't like to feel doped up and I want to be able to drive if I need to do some errands. Plus, I hate the constipation that they cause. So, I have adjusted to being in constant pain, having inflamed joints, and not being able to walk or move normally.

I used to be in pretty good shape and walked for exercise, but the arthritis got so bad it slowed me down a lot. When I got an artificial hip that slowed me down even more. And when I fell and broke my leg last year, that was about the end of my active exercise and I gained a bunch of weight. I am presently trying to lose weight which should make it a lot easier on my knees and hips. My normal weight for my height and bone structure is about 210 lbs so I have a bunch to lose.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:40 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,421,248 times
Try massage for arthritis.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:02 PM

54 posts, read 333,375 times
best amelodopine 5 mg or aspirine 100mg dialy

Old 01-16-2008, 06:23 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,378,383 times
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahir View Post
best amelodopine 5 mg or aspirine 100mg dialy
"Amelodopine"? Is this a misspelling of amlodipine (Norvasc) or a foreign spelling of felodopine (Plendil)? If so, it is NOT a "blood thinner". These are dihydropyridines that act as calcium channel blockers to treat hypertension. They can be used in conjunction with anticoagulants to treat peripartum cardiomyopathy, pulmonary arterial hypertension, etc. Also, since your post advocates "amelodopine 5mg OR aspirine 100mg", you are clearly advocating monotherapy with amelodopine as a "blood thinner". This is neither FDA approved nor is it an accepted "off-label" use by any of my colleagues.

In addition, if dosing is inappropriate for a particular individual the side effects such as bilateral upper extremity edema and significant hypotension may actually predispose the person to clotting.

As always, do not use a calcium channel blocker without first discussing this with a physician and NEVER confuse "amelodopine" with a "blood thinner".

Old 01-16-2008, 08:57 PM

436 posts, read 809,244 times
HINT: EVERY herbal beginning with a "G" has adverse effects on blood coagulation. Please check with an MD or DO prior to taking these, or having any surgical procedures while using these drugs.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:46 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Eddiek, I just posted some things on herbs with G just a few posts above. It is a very good thing for people to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness