Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 11:35 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,053,741 times

Advertisements

Hello, my wife is 7 months pregnant WITH a hx of asthma, so it was imperative that she received the H1N1 vaccine as soon as it became available. The flu mist nasal spray version was the 1st one out in our area of South Florida. I received this version one week ago. I have been calling around like crazy trying to locate a place that offers the injection version of the H1N1 vaccine. I must have called 15 different urgent care centers..non of them have it. I called my OB/GYN which were useless and they will definitely here a piece of my mind later on when I send them a letter expressing my disappointment with them. They are a large group of 6 doctors, very busy with patients. I called twice and left a message and my phone call was not returned until 4 days later. Their response " we don't carry it and we cannot tell you who does " Meaning, it's up to us to find somewhere that has it. Talk about crappy customer service...this coming from an OB/GYN office. WOW.

At any rate, where I live in Broward County, this county has done a horrible job in disseminating vital information to its residents. Their webpage has nothing on the landing page about where to get the H1N1 vaccine. Their immunization centers (only 3 of them in the entire county) have only ONE day a week set aside for vaccinations and the mention nothing if it's for the H1N1 vaccine.

South of me is Dade County...their website is set up great with good and accurate info on where to get the vaccine. They have multiple locations and most are open 7 days a week to serve their citizens. I called today, found out they had it and drove 25 miles south to the Little Haiti clinic so my wife could get the vaccine.

It's important to make sure the injection vaccine is Thirmesol free which is a preservative that contains a large amount of mercury which has been linked with Autism. IN fact, most immunizations are Thirmesol free.....but some of the H1N1 vaccines are not. Here is what you need to know :

There are only (3) suppliers of the injectable H1N1 vaccine. You need to look for the pre-filled syringe version. Anything that is in a multi-dose vial in which the clinician draws out a dose with a syringe multiple times until the vial is empty is a BIG NO NO. These multi-dose vials contain Thirmesol...about 25mcg which is not good at all for your unborn baby.

The three manufactures and what they offer :

CSL Limited :

1. 0.5 mL preservative-free, single-dose, pre-filled syringe (YES FOR PREGGO)

2. 5 mL multi-dose vial containing ten doses. Thimerosal, a mercury derivative, is added as a preservative; each 0.5 mL dose contains 24.5 micrograms (mcg) of mercury. (NO FOR PREGGO)

Novartis & Diagnostics limited

1. Prefilled single dose syringe, 0.5-mL. Thimerosal, a mercury derivative used during manufacture, is removed by subsequent purification steps to a trace amount (≤ 1 mcg mercury per 0.5-mL dose). (YES FOR PREGGO)

2. Multidose vial, 5-mL. Contains thimerosal, a mercury derivative, added as a preservative. Each 0.5-mL dose from the multidose vial contains 25 mcg mercury. (NO FOR PREGGO)

-Sanofi Pasteur

1. Prefilled syringe, 0.25 mL, no preservative; distinguished by a pink syringe plunger rod (OK FOR PREGGO)

2. Prefilled syringe, 0.5 ml, no preservative (OK FOR PREGGO)

3. Single dose vial, 0.5 ML, no preservative (OK FOR PREGGO)

4. Multi-dose vial, 5 mL, contains thimerosal, a mercury derivative, added as a preservative. Each 0.5 mL dose contains 25 mcg mercury ((NO FOR PREGGO)

There you have it, if it's a pre-filled syringe meant for one time use and they do NOT have to draw it up from a vial, you are golden ! I have attached a picture of what a pre-filled vaccine should look like. Again, if it looks very similar to this, you are GOLDEN.

http://198.73.159.214/sanofi-pasteur...teCode=SP_CORP

If however, it looks like a multi-dosal vial they are drawing medication from into a syringe...similar to this.....stay away. Again, your health care provider SHOULD know about this, but in todays world, knowledge is power. Arm yourself with it and you will be better off in the long run.

http://www.skepticalob.com/istock_000009167469xsmall.jpg (broken link)

I hope this information helps all the pregnant women out there. Please vaccinate yourself from the H1N1...pregnant women can have serious hospital-admission type complications. Also, when your baby is born, he or she will have the protection against the H1N1 as well. Remember, you cannot vaccinate a newborn against the H1N1 for up to several months after they are born.

Good luck and stay healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:11 PM

just an update....wife had it exactly 7 days ago (last Friday). She feels perfectly normal.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:26 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,984,553 times
Thank you for this information. I'm typically not one to jump on the flu vaccine bandwagon, but this particular strain has me concerned, and I am considering the vaccine for my children. I will not get them the nasal spray nor the thimeresol-laced version, so it's good to know that there is a thimeresol-free version available. I will ask about it.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:54 PM

730 posts, read 2,254,808 times
I am newly pregnant(5w4d) and I got the H1N1 vaccine yesterday. I was worried about getting the shot in the first trimester since the baby's organs are forming, but I have coworkers at my office coming to work despite the fact that they and their school age children have confirmed cases of H1N1. My OB is suggesting them at any stage of pregnancy-in fact at my clinic you have to sign a waiver if you DON'T take the vaccine. I still worry about long term effects. BUT-If I contract it, I will most likely miscarry or the baby could have side effects from the high fevers & I could become gravely ill. I have 2 other wonderful children I also have to think about- so getting it was the best decision for me & my family.
FYI. I did not even get a red spot at the injection site and continue to feel wonderful.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:22 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,015,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Hello, my wife is 7 months pregnant WITH a hx of asthma, so it was imperative that she received the H1N1 vaccine as soon as it became available. The flu mist nasal spray version was the 1st one out in our area of South Florida. I received this version one week ago. I have been calling around like crazy trying to locate a place that offers the injection version of the H1N1 vaccine. I must have called 15 different urgent care centers..non of them have it. I called my OB/GYN which were useless and they will definitely here a piece of my mind later on when I send them a letter expressing my disappointment with them. They are a large group of 6 doctors, very busy with patients. I called twice and left a message and my phone call was not returned until 4 days later. Their response " we don't carry it and we cannot tell you who does " Meaning, it's up to us to find somewhere that has it. Talk about crappy customer service...this coming from an OB/GYN office. WOW.

At any rate, where I live in Broward County, this county has done a horrible job in disseminating vital information to its residents. Their webpage has nothing on the landing page about where to get the H1N1 vaccine. Their immunization centers (only 3 of them in the entire county) have only ONE day a week set aside for vaccinations and the mention nothing if it's for the H1N1 vaccine.

South of me is Dade County...their website is set up great with good and accurate info on where to get the vaccine. They have multiple locations and most are open 7 days a week to serve their citizens. I called today, found out they had it and drove 25 miles south to the Little Haiti clinic so my wife could get the vaccine.

It's important to make sure the injection vaccine is Thirmesol free which is a preservative that contains a large amount of mercury which has been linked with Autism. IN fact, most immunizations are Thirmesol free.....but some of the H1N1 vaccines are not. Here is what you need to know :

There are only (3) suppliers of the injectable H1N1 vaccine. You need to look for the pre-filled syringe version. Anything that is in a multi-dose vial in which the clinician draws out a dose with a syringe multiple times until the vial is empty is a BIG NO NO. These multi-dose vials contain Thirmesol...about 25mcg which is not good at all for your unborn baby.

CSL Limited :

2. 5 mL multi-dose vial containing ten doses. Thimerosal, a mercury derivative, is added as a preservative; each 0.5 mL dose contains 24.5 micrograms (mcg) of mercury. (NO FOR PREGGO)

1. Prefilled single dose syringe, 0.5-mL. Thimerosal, a mercury derivative used during manufacture, is removed by subsequent purification steps to a trace amount (≤ 1 mcg mercury per 0.5-mL dose). (YES FOR PREGGO)

2. Multidose vial, 5-mL. Contains thimerosal, a mercury derivative, added as a preservative. Each 0.5-mL dose from the multidose vial contains 25 mcg mercury. (NO FOR PREGGO)

-Sanofi Pasteur

1. Prefilled syringe, 0.25 mL, no preservative; distinguished by a pink syringe plunger rod (OK FOR PREGGO)

4. Multi-dose vial, 5 mL, contains thimerosal, a mercury derivative, added as a preservative. Each 0.5 mL dose contains 25 mcg mercury ((NO FOR PREGGO)

There you have it, if it's a pre-filled syringe meant for one time use and they do NOT have to draw it up from a vial, you are golden ! I have attached a picture of what a pre-filled vaccine should look like. Again, if it looks very similar to this, you are GOLDEN.

If however, it looks like a multi-dosal vial they are drawing medication from into a syringe...similar to this.....stay away. Again, your health care provider SHOULD know about this, but in todays world, knowledge is power. Arm yourself with it and you will be better off in the long run.

I hope this information helps all the pregnant women out there. Please vaccinate yourself from the H1N1...pregnant women can have serious hospital-admission type complications. Also, when your baby is born, he or she will have the protection against the H1N1 as well. Remember, you cannot vaccinate a newborn against the H1N1 for up to several months after they are born.

where's the link where you got this actual info?

Old 11-06-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupcake77 View Post
where's the link where you got this actual info?
CDC website

Old 11-06-2009, 09:59 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,678,174 times
Good thoughtful post
Yes it is a prefill, mist or shot.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:57 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:

CSL Limited :

-Sanofi Pasteur

Any info on which ones contain squalene?

Old 11-12-2009, 05:19 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,936,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Any info on which ones contain squalene?
None in the USA (yet). It is only in the UK and Canada versions right now.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:01 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,041,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOEM1226 View Post
I am newly pregnant(5w4d) and I got the H1N1 vaccine yesterday. I was worried about getting the shot in the first trimester since the baby's organs are forming, but I have coworkers at my office coming to work despite the fact that they and their school age children have confirmed cases of H1N1. My OB is suggesting them at any stage of pregnancy-in fact at my clinic you have to sign a waiver if you DON'T take the vaccine. I still worry about long term effects. BUT-If I contract it, I will most likely miscarry or the baby could have side effects from the high fevers & I could become gravely ill. I have 2 other wonderful children I also have to think about- so getting it was the best decision for me & my family.
FYI. I did not even get a red spot at the injection site and continue to feel wonderful.
Quote:

CSL Limited :

-Sanofi Pasteur

I came across some information that pregnant women who have received the H1N1 vaccine are loosing there babies. Not trying to state this as a fact, but, you all need to take a look into this.

Also, from what I have been told, the insert packet for the H1N1 vaccine says is not suitable for children under 2! Well, a fetus is obviously under 2 so why are pregnant women getting the H1n1 vaccine in the first place? Just read the comments after you read the article: Some Pregnant Women Fearful of H1N1 Vaccine

"I got both vaccines on Thursday. I was 9 weeks pregnant. I miscarried on Sunday. I was told by several doctors to get these vaccines. Now I wish I followed my gut feeling and not get them at ALL!"

"My daughter in law was 10 weeks pregnant and had the H1N1 vaccine on Friday that night she miscarried."

"I’m not getting it unless things get *much* worse (like 25% death rate). The vaccine is a class C drug for pregnancy. My midwife was appalled that they are pushing a Class C drug on pregnant women and is not recommending it."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness