Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your doctors gender
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 11 4.31%
I'm a woman who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 52 20.39%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a man doctor 57 22.35%
I'm a man who prefers to be treated by a woman doctor 20 7.84%
I truly don't care about the gender of my doctor 115 45.10%
Voters: 255. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 03:34 AM

677 posts, read 1,193,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Do not know what hospital(s) you have been in but I can certainly tell you that the above does not match a single experience I - or anyone I know or have talked to - has ever had.
I've seen it happen to several members of my family. Fortunately they didn't allow themselves to be intimidated and went to another place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 03:37 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,426,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
I've seen it happen to several members of my family. Fortunately they didn't allow themselves to be intimidated and went to another place.
Doesnt seem a lot to go on by presuming to declare "They will say there isn't one available even if there is." Sounds like you are taking one or two anecdotes and extrapolating them into a generalisation about all doctors in all places.

It may have happened to you. I doubt it - but even if it did then that does not really warrant an expectation that this is in any way the norm.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:53 PM

938 posts, read 1,515,379 times
Responding to the OP:
Don't care unless they have to see my junk. Then I'd prefer that they're not someone I find sexually attractive. Don't want any awkwardness. Since it's not PC to ask for "ugly chix", I ask for a male doctor.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Doesnt seem a lot to go on by presuming to declare "They will say there isn't one available even if there is." Sounds like you are taking one or two anecdotes and extrapolating them into a generalisation about all doctors in all places.

It may have happened to you. I doubt it - but even if it did then that does not really warrant an expectation that this is in any way the norm.
When my brother had knee surgery, he needed help to have a bath in the first few days obviously. He didn't mind female nurses for most things but to have a bath he requested a male nurse. They all laughed at him.

5 minutes later he was calling home and discharging himself. He came home and we hired a very professional male nurse.

Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Reading through all these posts does anyone else realize what a spoiled people we are? We not only want top notch medical care, many of us want to pick the sex of the doctor treating us.

I personally think we ought to be damn grateful that there is a doctor out there of any sex, race, religion who is a competent physician who can provide us affordable care.

The idea of picking someone based on something like sex is disturbing to me. If enough people feel that way, it may put perfectly capable, competent people out of business who have spent many years and thousands of dollars learning how to practice a profession. No one deserves to be judged like that simply on the basis of an immutable quality like their sex.

Its a different discussion, but this is one of the problems involved in getting a system of universal health care. It isn't going to work if everyone is going to be so picky that they even want to choose the sex of the doctor treating them. Maybe, I just live on a different planet than some people do, but I will never understand some priorities.

I am not a woman, but whether you are a man or a woman its a human body that the doctor is examining. You think its something he/she hasn't seen before? You think its something to be ashamed of? If the doctor is taking "liberties" with you, that's a different story, but selecting a doctor on this basis is a poor idea.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Reading through all these posts does anyone else realize what a spoiled people we are? We not only want top notch medical care, many of us want to pick the sex of the doctor treating us.
Couldn't care less. I'm the one who decides who treats me, not the other way around. If I want to refuse someone based on gender, it's my absolute right to do so. I don't have to give explanations to anyone over it.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
When my brother had knee surgery, he needed help to have a bath in the first few days obviously. He didn't mind female nurses for most things but to have a bath he requested a male nurse. They all laughed at him.

5 minutes later he was calling home and discharging himself. He came home and we hired a very professional male nurse.
That is unfortunate indeed. What a poor set of nurses and doctors they must be. They should be reported to the medical standards authority - whoever that may be in the area in question.

However your one alleged personal experience in this matter does not justify telling others that this WILL happen to them if they ask for a doctor of a specific sex. Quite the opposite as there are many medical ethics of practice involved here and I doubt that the vast majority requesting a doctor of a specific sex have anything like the experience you claim to have had here.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:20 AM

Quote:
That is unfortunate indeed. What a poor set of nurses and doctors they must be. They should be reported to the medical standards authority - whoever that may be in the area in question.

However your one alleged personal experience in this matter does not justify telling others that this WILL happen to them if they ask for a doctor of a specific sex. Quite the opposite as there are many medical ethics of practice involved here and I doubt that the vast majority requesting a doctor of a specific sex have anything like the experience you claim to have had here.
Nothing ever happens until it happens to you.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Nothing ever happens until it happens to you.
That sounds a bit throw-away and meaningless. I never suggested for example it "never happens". I am just suggesting that your idea that this will happen to others - or is even likely to happen to any one else - just because it allegedly happened to someone you know - is a false one.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
That sounds a bit throw-away and meaningless. I never suggested for example it "never happens". I am just suggesting that your idea that this will happen to others - or is even likely to happen to any one else - just because it allegedly happened to someone you know - is a false one.
I'm sure it happens very often. It's basically a job of egos and no one can stand being rejected by a patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness