Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 07:30 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,181,798 times

Advertisements

1. Eat natural food. If it is a vegetable, a fruit, a nut, grain, or meat it is good for you. The food pyramid is a pretty good thing to follow in general. If nature made it then eat it.

2. Avoid processed foods. A lot of "diet" or "fat-free" stuff you see is so full of sugar and hydrogenated oils that it is poison. A steak is better for you than a box of fat-free Fig-Newtons. At least the steak has some protein. If man made it then don't eat it.

3. Move everyday. Use your muscles.

Simple stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:12 AM

2,178 posts, read 9,577,641 times
I am so glad to see so may peoples thinking is like mine! Processed foods = BAD for you... Our bodies NEED fat... maybe not in the amounts some people eat today but bodies NEED fat! Just as many people with LOW cholesterol die of heart disease as with high cholesterol.

After how many years of this cholesterol bull has been shoved down our throats and those miracle drugs called "statins" that was going to save us all and making billions of dollars.... HEART DISEASE is STILL the #1 killer in the USA. That alone speaks volumes to me... am I the only one that speaks to? They have had us all fooled for a long time, and they know it.

I read somewhere just the other day that the makers of "healthy foods" don't want us healthy, heck, if we were healthy, it would put them out of business so WHY would they want it to really be good for us? These so called "healthier foods" are doing more damage than good. I am SO glad to see the world is waking up!

Attitudes are changing... THANK GOD!

Old 03-14-2010, 10:35 PM

27 posts, read 128,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
1. Eat natural food. If it is a vegetable, a fruit, a nut, grain, or meat it is good for you. The food pyramid is a pretty good thing to follow in general. If nature made it then eat it.

2. Avoid processed foods. A lot of "diet" or "fat-free" stuff you see is so full of sugar and hydrogenated oils that it is poison. A steak is better for you than a box of fat-free Fig-Newtons. At least the steak has some protein. If man made it then don't eat it.

Simple stuff.
I agree. no reason in reinventing the wheel. These will always be among the most beneficial for our bodies.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:19 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
May be because we don't get up before dawn, physically work our tails off, then collapse at dusk...........
That's part of it. But the other part is that fake food and factoring farming methods for cattle & poultry didn't become prevalent until the late 1970s. Interestingly enough, the obesity epidemic started to take off about 1980.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:

Simple stuff.
I agree with everything except for the meat. The methods used to make meat and poultry now are so horrible, we should probably not eat it or eat it only a few times a week at most.

For more info, I highly recommend watching: The Meatrix 1 & 2.

Warning: In addition to being informative, it's extremely funny!

YouTube - Do You Want To Know What Factory Farming Is? - Part 1

YouTube - The Meatrix 2

Old 03-16-2010, 08:11 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Quote:
Why are so many of us fat, compared to the days when people only ate plain foods like meat, butter, sugar and whole milk, etc?
While I won't deny that some of it has to do with lower quality food that is readily available, but a lot of it has to do with the cost of food, whether it be low cost, low quality or higher cost, higher quality.

Food is easier and cheaper to come by than years ago. If you were a subsistence farmer and was planning out your meals for the season, you'd see that you could only slaughter 3 cattle and that had to feed your family for X months. So, naturally you wouldn't be eating double quarter-pounders with cheese every day :P

Whether we eat expensive food or cheap food, the point is that food is more abundant and the average human needs less food than our ancestors. Sure, I wrack my brains at my job and occasionally walk to the water cooler and then have to walk around my grocery looking for some tasty chicken breasts... whereas humans years ago (whether it be thousands or only tens) had to do a hell of a lot more than we do.

So, we need less food, but there is more available. And plenty of it is full of empty calories.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
While I won't deny that some of it has to do with lower quality food that is readily available, but a lot of it has to do with the cost of food, whether it be low cost, low quality or higher cost, higher quality.

Food is easier and cheaper to come by than years ago. If you were a subsistence farmer and was planning out your meals for the season, you'd see that you could only slaughter 3 cattle and that had to feed your family for X months. So, naturally you wouldn't be eating double quarter-pounders with cheese every day :P

Whether we eat expensive food or cheap food, the point is that food is more abundant and the average human needs less food than our ancestors. Sure, I wrack my brains at my job and occasionally walk to the water cooler and then have to walk around my grocery looking for some tasty chicken breasts... whereas humans years ago (whether it be thousands or only tens) had to do a hell of a lot more than we do.

So, we need less food, but there is more available. And plenty of it is full of empty calories.
We agree on the problem. Now we have to figure out solutions. Author Michael Pollan has mentioned that we can either spend more on food or more on health care. It's better to spend more on high quality food.

We basically also need a change in food culture. Eating junk food has to become the social equivalent of smoking cigarettes....something that's just not done, or at least not done very often.

We need to take out the snack machines from the employee cafeterias and the schools, and start serving nutritious food in the school lunch programs. Junk food needs to be something that takes some effort to get, instead of being constantly being waved in front of people all the time.

And some won't like this, but we also need to change our land use development patterns. We need walkable cities and towns. If you build everything with cars in mind, people will drive. That means many will not get any kind of exercise or will have to take time out of their day (that many don't really have) to drive to a gym as a separate task. That means what we really need is: 1. better land use planning (i.e.--don't plunk apartments down in the middle of a single family detached house neighborhood. High density housing needs to be located exclusively near bus lines & transit nodes and 2. to a certain extent, we need higher densities. We're not talking New York City densities, or even half that. But I do think we need to sacrifice house size and lot size to some degree. This would work out ok if we could get better construction quality in exchange for it.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:24 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Ok I think my mom just likes to put down my life choices first fear over me
drinking to much water now she telling me
they substitute fat frre with lots of sugar causing people to gain even more weight. It kinda makes sense since the fat free craze began America has
gotten fatter
;

;
Not only that but I have noticed in the nutritional information that the salt levels are higher too.

Quote:

Simple stuff.
I agree!! I dont touch things with HFCS, sugar, salt, enriched flour and hydrogenated oils in it. BEST decision I ever made.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:35 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Yea, that sugar is so bad for you... Back in the 1800 and earlier, sugar was like the cocaine of today.
Unrefined was OK.

Now, you have to take zinc supplements to out-compete the cadmium in the refined sugar.

And, if you eat a lot, you need to take chromium supplements to protect your pancreas.

The right fats are essential.

Make sure you get a fair supply of conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) - or you'll become fat and unattractive.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 AM

27 posts, read 128,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I agree with everything except for the meat. The methods used to make meat and poultry now are so horrible, we should probably not eat it or eat it only a few times a week at most.

For more info, I highly recommend watching: The Meatrix 1 & 2.

Warning: In addition to being informative, it's extremely funny!

YouTube - Do You Want To Know What Factory Farming Is? - Part 1

YouTube - The Meatrix 2

The methods on the treatments of animals are horrific and inhumane, I have seen a few videos and photos on how the process is done. Although I really like animals and I do not eat pork and rarely eat red meat. I ust can't seem to help myself for very long periods, as meat is tasty to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness