Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:50 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckgrl View Post
I was born very late 70s and for me like others the 80s were a great time to grow up especially in terms of toys and cartoons.
I also think there was such a variety of popular music around that catered to all tastes, I feel like now most pop music is aimed at the young only.

In the 90s everything 80s became very uncool and I loved the alternative music of the early to mid 90s, it really spoke to me as a teenager and I still like a lot of 90s rock bands.

It all got a bit crappier towards the late 90s when Britney Spears etc came through and it went to very manufactured pop and hiphop.
That's your opinion, but for me, Aside from a few, the great majority of the 90's alternative rock era just plain sucked, because it set the stage for an even worse rock era in music history (Pop Punk, Emo, Nu Metal)
it is just as bad as the manufactured pop and hip-hop itself and I'm still suffering.
I Personally blame nirvana for ruining rock music and the entire metal scene (not just hair bands, but also inadvertently ruined careers of Iron maiden and others) like this and because of that I Will never forgive them
just like the real world and jerry springer set the stage for crappy television of the 90's to today.
and we are still suffering as a result.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:48 PM

76 posts, read 137,696 times
Born in '70 and I definitely miss the 80's more. The 90's were a good time for me, just not for the music; so much good metal came out of the 80's and today's bands can't even hope to ever catch up to that level of epicness.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:35 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
I was born in '76, and I love both decades, but I like the 90s more. In the early 90s, we returned to a hippie sensibility .. acoustic music, simpler styles, a do-it-yourself aesthetic in the arts. We were really positive about the internet and changes it would bring. It was a cool time to be alive.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:37 AM

127 posts, read 534,655 times
I miss '90 to '92. Nelson Mandela becoming a free man/Turtlemania (I only saw the movie)/The first Simpsons episode with an intro/All of the females wearing white socks with Keds tennis shoes that one summer/End of the self-absorbed Yuppie era/Talespin and all of those Disney cartoons that were on after school/ The quickest war in history (Gulf War)/Hannibal Lecter and Clarice/Watching Terminator 2 (twice) in the mall with my friends/Making Dan Quayle jokes when we were bored/Urkelmania (silly stuff)/Dancing at the clubs/Hammer pants and Skidz/Hypercolor (It was easy to tell when a girl liked you because of them)/Blue Rasperry craze/ Great music by Prince and the New Power Generation/The end of the Cold War (writing "Peace in '92" all over the place)/ The Baja pullover sweater craze (these are making a comeback)/Wearing my Oakley frogskins/The best Saddie Hawkins dance/Environmentalism/The fun styles (wearing overalls with one strap down)/Crystal Pepsi when it was just being tested on the market/US Dream Team/Making Basic Instinct jokes/The parents were disturbed by Batman Returns (I love Tim Burton's work)/Super Nintendo/ Looking at the blood in Mortal Kombat for the first time/ Watching Saved By the Bell on NBC Saturday mornings for Kelly Kapowski/Watching Wonder Years reruns thinking what they would think of this time/Making Michael Bolton jokes/Hearing that "Vanilla Ice is forever"/Major Damage clothing/ Light-Up L.A. Gears on the market for the first time/ The economy picking up/Catchy rap music (Golden era stuff)/Bill Clinton being elected/ Listening to everyone talk about Disney's Aladdin.

I am well aware that those times had problems. I know where I was when the L.A. Riots happened. There were was a lot of hope in the air during those years. Unfortunately, 1993 had to happen. It was all downhill from there. '93 was a poor extension to the times before. We were left with X-Files, Power Rangers, and junk like that. Times have not changed since then.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:46 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous14 View Post
I am well aware that those times had problems. I know where I was when the L.A. Riots happened. There were was a lot of hope in the air during those years. Unfortunately, 1993 had to happen. It was all downhill from there. '93 was a poor extension to the times before. We were left with X-Files, Power Rangers, and junk like that. Times have not changed since then.
Hey what's wrong with X-files and Power Rangers? Talk to the hand my friend.

BTW, was Mortal Kombat the first popular game with blood in it? I think Prince of Persia from 1989 was pretty gorey wasn't it? And there was Custer's Revenge from '84, which didn't have blood but was still pretty obscene nevertheless (look it up if you have never heard of it).

Old 02-13-2013, 03:26 PM

824 posts, read 1,177,525 times
Quote:
I miss '90 to '92. Nelson Mandela becoming a free man/Turtlemania (I only saw the movie)/The first Simpsons episode with an intro/All of the females wearing white socks with Keds tennis shoes that one summer/End of the self-absorbed Yuppie era/Talespin and all of those Disney cartoons that were on after school/ The quickest war in history (Gulf War)/Hannibal Lecter and Clarice/Watching Terminator 2 (twice) in the mall with my friends/Making Dan Quayle jokes when we were bored/Urkelmania (silly stuff)/Dancing at the clubs/Hammer pants and Skidz/Hypercolor (It was easy to tell when a girl liked you because of them)/Blue Rasperry craze/ Great music by Prince and the New Power Generation/The end of the Cold War (writing "Peace in '92" all over the place)/ The Baja pullover sweater craze (these are making a comeback)/Wearing my Oakley frogskins/The best Saddie Hawkins dance/Environmentalism/The fun styles (wearing overalls with one strap down)/Crystal Pepsi when it was just being tested on the market/US Dream Team/Making Basic Instinct jokes/The parents were disturbed by Batman Returns (I love Tim Burton's work)/Super Nintendo/ Looking at the blood in Mortal Kombat for the first time/ Watching Saved By the Bell on NBC Saturday mornings for Kelly Kapowski/Watching Wonder Years reruns thinking what they would think of this time/Making Michael Bolton jokes/Hearing that "Vanilla Ice is forever"/Major Damage clothing/ Light-Up L.A. Gears on the market for the first time/ The economy picking up/Catchy rap music (Golden era stuff)/Bill Clinton being elected/ Listening to everyone talk about Disney's Aladdin.

Aside from a few most of the 90's suck.

Old 02-13-2013, 04:13 PM

127 posts, read 534,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Hey what's wrong with X-files and Power Rangers? Talk to the hand my friend.

BTW, was Mortal Kombat the first popular game with blood in it? I think Prince of Persia from 1989 was pretty gorey wasn't it? And there was Custer's Revenge from '84, which didn't have blood but was still pretty obscene nevertheless (look it up if you have never heard of it).
X-Files was mediocre, in my opinion. I guess that huge transition was a sign of the times. The 90's were wedged between the 80's and the 00's. Obviously, the people who liked the start of the decade moved on by the end of it. I preferred Twin Peaks to it at the time. There used to be Twin Peaks parties in 1990. It seemed like, at one point, almost the whole nation wanted to know who killed Laura Palmer. X-Files, in retrospect, seems more like a modern show on FOX. At the time, COPS and America's Most Wanted were the only shows on FOX that were like that. Time goes on.

I thought the Power Rangers looked unoriginal next to Voltron. The USA Network used to show Voltron reruns from late '92 into 1993. It was a lot easier to compare the two at the time. Everything Power Rangers seemed like a repeat of what was done for Voltron. I was too old to watch stuff like the Power Rangers anyway. The show did have eye candy, I'll admit that.

Yes, Mortal Kombat was a big deal when it was new. It wasn't the first video game to feature blood in it. It was different from Street Fighter 2 and Blade Master. It looked futuristic for those times. Tipper Gore even made a big fuss about it in the mid 90's. It definitely has its place in history.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:50 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,776,513 times
Quote:
X-Files was mediocre, in my opinion. I guess that huge transition was a sign of the times. The 90's were wedged between the 80's and the 00's. Obviously, the people who liked the start of the decade moved on by the end of it. I preferred Twin Peaks to it at the time. There used to be Twin Peaks parties in 1990. It seemed like, at one point, almost the whole nation wanted to know who killed Laura Palmer. X-Files, in retrospect, seems more like a modern show on FOX. At the time, COPS and America's Most Wanted were the only shows on FOX that were like that. Time goes on.

I thought the Power Rangers looked unoriginal next to Voltron. The USA Network used to show Voltron reruns from late '92 into 1993. It was a lot easier to compare the two at the time. Everything Power Rangers seemed like a repeat of what was done for Voltron. I was too old to watch stuff like the Power Rangers anyway. The show did have eye candy, I'll admit that.

Yes, Mortal Kombat was a big deal when it was new. It wasn't the first video game to feature blood in it. It was different from Street Fighter 2 and Blade Master. It looked futuristic for those times. Tipper Gore even made a big fuss about it in the mid 90's. It definitely has its place in history.
Kimberly *kiss*

Old 02-14-2013, 10:30 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,799,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko View Post
It's kind of interesting, I'm 22, almost 23 years old. I was born in 1990 and it actually seems like the people who miss the 90's the most are around my age, and were just kids during that decade. I'd say 90's nostalgia is mostly a mid 80's to early 90's born thing, which is kinda weird because it seems like everyone from about 29 to 59 years old (born from 1953-1983) is nostalgic for the 80's, there's a much wider appeal for 80's nostalgia for some reason.

Is there love for the 90's from the 70's born later Gen Xers? People from their mid 30s to early 40s? I mean if you were born in 1975, the 90s would have been ages 15-25 to you, I would think after 20 years most people would start to feel nostalgia for that time, no? I was talking to an acquaintance who is 15 years older than me, born in 1975 and he was telling me he felt 'too old' for the 90's which is kind of weird considering he was still just a kid in the early 90's. But then again I never liked the 2000's very much and felt kind of 'old' after about 2003 or so. So maybe some of us just grow old faster.
Of course I miss the 90s--I was young then!

Now, I'm just an old fuddy-duddy whom the younger generations treat with scorn and contempt.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:00 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Then 1980s and 1990s was not really a good time for me. If I lived in a past era I would rather live in the 1960s as a young guy. Yes there was good music then yet nothing major special happened in my life through out then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History