Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 12:38 PM

693 posts, read 1,138,130 times

Advertisements

Imagine there being no Veterans Affairs today to care for our veterans and President Obama proclaimed that all our combat veterans would receive $25,000 for their service to our country but they would have to wait 15 years to get it. Lets say all these veterans who return with various medical conditions both physical and mental cannot support their families so as a group they march on DC demanding their benefit for service now, not in 15 years. Can you imagine this scenario playing out? No, because awarding something with 15 years to pay in this case is wrong.

I imagine you still may disagree with me and thats okay, maybe we should just leave it at that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 01:09 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavariantransplant View Post
Delaying payment 15 years so countless veterans that qualified for it would not receive it due to passing away is calculated.

I agree with everything you are saying, except the President did not do the right thing, the right thing was to honor their service now, not in 15 years. It just so happens that in this instance the "right thing" and the feel good thing" are one in the same.
Are you aware that this was during the early years of the Great Depression? That the government was having a tremendously difficult time raising enough revenue to pay the existing legal obligations? That everyone and his brother-in-law were petitioning the government for relief of some sort for their businesses or families? That if the bonus money was paid prematurely, it could only be at the cost of not paying some other obligation? That millions were in dire need, not just veterans? That Congress had passed a law which allowed the veterans to borrow up to 50% of their bonus? That paying the entire sum early would have meant Congress having to raise taxes during the depression in order to pay for it? That Congress voted down a measure to pay the entire sum early?

How can you blame President Hoover when he did not have the power to decide this one way or the other, only the power to enforce the will of Congress? Hoover had no authority to make the "mistake" you assign him.

Finally, under no circumstances, however much one love veterans, is it a good idea for a democracy to give in to the blackmail of citizens, and especially not give in to the blackmail of soldiers. If laws can be altered by the demands of mobs, then you don't have a democratic government, you have mob rule.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:14 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
I like Bush but Bush gets my vote even though most of the nation was demanding it... Getting into a long drawn out war in the middle east with no exit plan, where those guys look at War like it is a hobby was not a good idea. Thousands in lives Billions in resources and a lasting worldwide terrorism threat.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:46 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I like Bush but Bush gets my vote even though most of the nation was demanding it... Getting into a long drawn out war in the middle east with no exit plan, where those guys look at War like it is a hobby was not a good idea. Thousands in lives Billions in resources and a lasting worldwide terrorism threat.
I think that's a good way of putting it. But history lasts a long time. I confess to being on the fence.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:59 PM

69 posts, read 65,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Starting a land war in Asia.
Yeah but, thank god he never went against a Sicilian when death is on the line....

Old 04-27-2013, 03:32 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Nixon for the watergate coverup. If he had fired those responsible early on it wouldn't have been an issue. He actually accomplished a great deal and might have gone down as one of the best presidents.

Old 04-27-2013, 03:51 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Nixon for the watergate coverup. If he had fired those responsible early on it wouldn't have been an issue. He actually accomplished a great deal and might have gone down as one of the best presidents.
That is my feeling as well.

I think Nixon was a brilliant guy - even though I didn't agree with his political philosophy - as smart as they come, a savvy politician, ambitious, ruthless, and corrupt. He could have been one of America's greatest.

The decisions concerning Watergate resulted in him being the only President in US history to be forced to resign in disgrace!

Old 04-27-2013, 04:36 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
I agree about Nixon. Now, that was a statesman. When he went to China they knew there was The President of The United States arriving and acted accordingly. Bands, red carpets, saluting; everything.

Later, when Carter traveled they would send someone's wife to go pick him up......it got embarrassing.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:53 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,859 times
#1 President Woodrow Wilson promoting/signing the 16th Amendment of the Constitution, which overthrew the Constitution's critical prohibition of a federal income tax on the American people.

#2 President Franklin D. Roosevelt who approved the "Current Tax Payment Act of 1943"--the withholding of income tax from paychecks, which allowed income taxes to confiscate huge portions of the worker's income with virtually no public awareness.

Without these two actions, the federal government could not have utterly ruined our nation and our economy, and destroyed the future of our children and grandchildren. There could be no greater "mistakes"--or in this case, acts of criminal treason.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:54 PM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times
Worst (personal) mistake made by a President?

Riding in an open convertible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History