Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:44 AM

91 posts, read 177,124 times

Advertisements

My favorites are:

Patton - Bio pic of general GS Patton far superior to the McCarthur pic.

Little Big Man - Encounters of Plains indians with Lt. Col. Gearge Custer we know how it ends up.

Son of The Morning Star - More about the flamboyant boy general

Above and Beyond - Story of Col. PW Tibbets and the dropping of the atomic bomb and all the work that was involved in making this event happen.

Hanoi Hilton - Vietnam war POW's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 10:22 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
................do recall that, but since it has been so long since last viewed it, am uncertain as to it's historical accuracy.
Historical accuracy is no longer an issue, if one can judge by some of the nominees.

Apocalypse Now? Bridge on the River Kwai? And Forest Gump!? Those are not historically accurate films.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:11 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,143,131 times
I like these threads as they introduce me to many new films that I didn't know about. People posting took the time to let us know that they watched and enjoyed it. I fully realize that this is the city-data History board, and being the op I did not set any ground rules.

Rules? As Walter Sobchak said in The Big Lebowski, Smokey this is not 'nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

Well, Forrest Gump does have actual historic footage, albeit doctored with a certain Tom Hanks edited in for laughs. Apocalypse Now? Not based on actual events, but based on an actual war, seems to sum it up. And then there's this:
Quote:
the film was also deemed "culturally, historically or aesthetically significant" and was selected for preservation by the National Film Registry in 2000
The Bridge on the River Kwai? Based on an actual Japanese led slave labor built bridge, the movie has very little to show for accurately recounting what accually occured. But historically, there was a bridge and it was built by POWs.

I guess those who frequent the History board are geared more toward the most accurate type of history film. I can dig it. But some great history films have more inaccuracies, and trying to draw the line between popularity or major star attraction and having only a set amount of just plain wrong information, is not attainable, imho, and ymmv.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:28 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,616,564 times
Just thinking of the John Ford..

'When the legend becomes fact, print the legend'....

Old 08-20-2013, 11:31 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,331,262 times
To be frank and to the point ................... None of them.

The search for historical fact and the distortions created by Hollywood simply don't mix.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:46 AM

88,567 posts, read 84,777,093 times
The Lion in Winter. Although I know it is historically inaccurate in many ways, the sets showing what things looked like in those days andseeing actors playing the Plantagent family were priceless to a person like me who loves medieval English historical fiction.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
To be frank and to the point ................... None of them.

The search for historical fact and the distortions created by Hollywood simply don't mix.
Well, yes, there's that.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Typo perhaps? Eleanor 1122-1204 was certainly one of the most powerful and influential women of the Middle Ages, not just the 12th century. The Lion In Winter was good, do recall that, but since it has been so long since last viewed it, am uncertain as to it's historical accuracy.
Hadn't read this before I posted.

No, it's not accurate. Henry didn't hold a Christmas Court in that place in that year, and there are other inaccuracies that I can't remember, but it's a damn good movie!

Old 08-20-2013, 11:54 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times
Hmmm, probably Gettysburg (1993).
It stars Jeff Daniels, Tom Beringer, Martin Sheen, a lots of other great actors.
The uneditied version was over 3 hours (I think) - and worth it.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Gone With the Wind
Did you ever read Southern Daughter, the biography of Margaret Mitchell? She wasn't happy with the way the movie was presented, particularly the plantation of Tara. She hated that they made it into a typical stately ante-bellum home. She said they did not understand that the area she wrote about was "so raw, so new", and that the white plantation owners she depicts in her novel have only become wealthy in the past generation because of the cotton boom.

I love the book so much more than the movie, but I enjoy the depiction of life during the Civil War in the movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History