Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2016, 09:52 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Because some of them have a complex about the US. Or about themselves, really.

Imagine this: controlling and oppressing as much and as many they did in oh say 1700. Then the lowly subjects steal the best pie on the window sill and kick your uppity ass back to england...twice. Then the pie stealers have to travel back across the pond to save you twice in the last 100 years because you can't take care of your own back yard.

Imagine how bitter that pill is for some brits. The ones with the classic british superiority complex.

Ever see the movie TWINS? By 1900 America was Arnold's character---produced by the best stock that Europe had to offer--after so many of the best and brightest fled. What was left was the danny devito character. And then the devito character holds its head up high, puffs out its chest and says "no, no, it's me who is the schwarzennegger!"
that's the most pathetic post I have ever read. time to knock that chip of your shoulder.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:11 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
With all due respect, what is wrong with you?

Movies are Entertainment. Don't you know that?

They are most certainly NOT meant to convey facts. If you want FACTS, it is necessary to read, visit museums, talk to vets, or- if you require the visual medium- view documentaries.

Nobody gets their information from John Wayne and neither should the two of you. Come on!
Eh? I think you're missing the point quite spectacularly here Moth!

I certainly don't get my history from movies (even British ones like The Imitation Game!) but it's a sad fact that a lot of people DO believe what they see in the movies and this is evidenced by some of the posts on here and elsewhere. I've actually read people post the exact same criticism of Montgomery almost verbatim from SPR so it's clear where they're getting their misinformation from which is why I posted that example.

Oh, and what's wrong with me? Probably many things, but mine is a perfectly valid viewpoint to make on this. So there :P

Old 01-28-2016, 10:35 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,368,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbobcat View Post
What a complete crock of BS.

Please try to understand, it's really not difficult and if you read the thread properly you'll find many posts - some by Americans, which debunk the idea that the US "bailed Britain out". It's nothing about having a "complex" about the US, we're just arguing against ill-informed patriotic Americans.

Oh, and your Twins analogy is plain stupid.
Are you putting yourself in the "some" that I mentioned?
So anyone who thinks the US bailed Britain out is an ill informed patriotic American? Lol!

Old 01-28-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
that's the most pathetic post I have ever read. time to knock that chip of your shoulder.
And there ya go.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Are you putting yourself in the "some" that I mentioned?
So anyone who thinks the US bailed Britain out is an ill informed patriotic American? Lol!
Pretty much, and some of your better-informed compatriots would agree.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:43 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Eh? I think you're missing the point quite spectacularly here Moth!

I certainly don't get my history from movies (even British ones like The Imitation Game!) but it's a sad fact that a lot of people DO believe what they see in the movies and this is evidenced by some of the posts on here and elsewhere. I've actually read people post the exact same criticism of Montgomery almost verbatim from SPR so it's clear where they're getting their misinformation from which is why I posted that example.

Oh, and what's wrong with me? Probably many things, but mine is a perfectly valid viewpoint to make on this. So there :P
Well it is regrettable.

On one hand we have a very nationalistic Briton who has never even heard of a great British military historian.

On the other hand we have a sycophantic (I think) American who is deconstructing John Wayne as well as a solitary and random line of script from a Spielberg movie.

You would forgive my being dismissive.

Last edited by Moth; 01-28-2016 at 11:15 AM..

Old 01-28-2016, 10:44 AM

You guys don't have to get mad now, we're talking about only a small fraction of Brits who fit into the category I described, hence the word some.

Saying that mind set does not exist would be like saying there are not Americans from the south who have a similar complex about the north from the civil war. It's a hard pill.

Now you can go on about your day, thinking I am some patriotic American w/a chip on his shoulder, if that's what you need to think.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:47 AM

638 posts, read 978,564 times
Madison999 hits it head on

Old 01-28-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well it is regrettable.

On one hand we have a very nationalistic Briton who has never even heard of a great British military historian.

On the other hand we have a sycophantic (I think) American who is deconstructing John Wayne as well as solitary and random line of script from a Spielberg movie.

You would forgive my being dismissive.
Actually, that solitary and random line which diminishes the contribution of Field Marshall Montgomery is the only reference to any other allied force in the whole 2hr+ movie, so it's worth pointing that out. I only mentioned it as an example of something which I've witnessed quite a few times in the past which is basically someone using that line as a basis for attacking Monty, and by extension the British contribution.

BTW I'm a Brit

Old 01-28-2016, 11:28 AM

13,650 posts, read 20,780,689 times
Quote:
Actually, that solitary and random line which diminishes the contribution of Field Marshall Montgomery is the only reference to any other allied force in the whole 2hr+ movie, so it's worth pointing that out. I only mentioned it as an example of something which I've witnessed quite a few times in the past which is basically someone using that line as a basis for attacking Monty, and by extension the British contribution.

BTW I'm a Brit
Ok, we have two very, very nationalistic Brits.

The only people using that line are those such as yourself who feel Hollywood has violated your national pride. It is inconceivable that the land of the Bard, Beatles, and Blake would produce people who get their information from movies.

Yet there it is. Hollywood is clearly your primary source of history and you do not shy away from it. Indeed you and others want people to know this. Very disturbing.

Firstly, you Brits were yammering about WWII long before Spielberg made that film.

Secondly, the United Kingdom has an excellent film industry. Petition a studio to make a film about a British platoon storming Normandy. One of the Tommies can make a disparaging remark about Ike, Bradley, Patton, Marshall or all of them. Then you can have your collective orgasm whilst we have a collective yawn.

Finally and most importantly, try reading some books about WWII. And get your nationalism in check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History