Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2008, 01:49 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Since we are on the discussion of state high points, here is one: what are the only two state highpoints whose summits are not contained within that state? In other words, the mountain summit is higher than the high point of the neighboring state.
I would say , for one , CA. and Nevada, the Sierra's ?. Not sure about the other.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 02:23 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes , you are correct !. Mt Mitchell is just off the Blue Ridge Parkway , where there are several mountains above or at 6,000 feet. Mitchel is 6684 feet. Snow is measured in feet, winds are a brute .......There is a ranger station that is occupied all winter , mostly to monitor the weather. The road up from the Parkway is closed in late fall, once there is a first snow fall. ( parkway is closed also, after that ) This is the most specular, and dramatic area on the 400 plus mile Blue Ridge Parkway, which , was commissioned after the Depression by Roosevelt, as a Works project.......Look up the story about the battle between Clingsman Dome , and Mt. Mitchell, as too the claim for the Highest mountain east of the Mississippi. ( I have the book somewhere around here ).
Since I got it correct, I will post next puzzle. What is the highest mountain in Europe and in what country is it in?

Old 07-31-2008, 04:14 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I would say , for one , CA. and Nevada, the Sierra's ?. Not sure about the other.....
You are correct, Boundary Peak, the highest point in Nevada, is not the peak of the summit. The peak is a few hundred yards into California.

There is one other high point that shares a similar anamoly.

Old 08-06-2008, 06:44 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,401,592 times
This town is only 150 years old and it's Official Birth Certificate" was signed by Napoleon III. At the time it was just forest with no roads and quite remote. It has the largest sand dune in Europe.

Old 08-10-2008, 10:57 AM

594 posts, read 1,778,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post
Since I got it correct, I will post next puzzle. What is the highest mountain in Europe and in what country is it in?
Mont Blanc is Europe's highest mountain. I believe France is usually accepted as the location, although Italy also has some claim to it, as the peak defines the border with Italy.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:05 PM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walmsley View Post
Mont Blanc is Europe's highest mountain. I believe France is usually accepted as the location, although Italy also has some claim to it, as the peak defines the border with Italy.
John Walmsley, Mount Blanc is highest mountain in WESTERN Europe and Alps, but not in EUROPE. Good try anyway.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcian View Post
John Walmsley, Mount Blanc is highest mountain in WESTERN Europe and Alps, but not in EUROPE. Good try anyway.
Marcian, I had some misgivings about not qualifying my answer as Western Europe. If we include the Caucasus region as part of Europe, then Mt Elbrus in Georgia at over 18,000 feet is easily the highest mountain. A good question.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Marcian, I had some misgivings about not qualifying my answer as Western Europe. If we include the Caucasus region as part of Europe, then Mt Elbrus in Georgia at over 18,000 feet is easily the highest mountain. A good question.
Mt Elbrus indeed is the highest mountain in Europe, this part of Caucasus is in Russia, but still part of the Europe.

Old 08-11-2008, 11:23 AM

Bedrich Smetana (1824-1884) wrote a beautiful composition for a river called The Moldau. Moldau is the German spelling. It's more often spelled Vltava in the country of origin. In what country is this river?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Bedrich Smetana (1824-1884) wrote a beautiful composition for a river called The Moldau. Moldau is the German spelling. It's more often spelled Vltava in the country of origin. In what country is this river?
Smetana is a czech composer, so Vltava is in current Czech Republic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > History