Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2018, 03:56 PM

18,220 posts, read 25,865,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
Among certain individuals in certain groups.

(Records are not making a come back, they are a niche' hobby, which I am part of, still not coming back, and in Europe they never went away)

Regarding Europe, believe it or not, the fall of communism was felt at the Record/CD trade shows. Foreign collectors have been travelling the U.S. for years before that. Foreigners have been attending the Record/Trade shows as long as I have and that's been a LONG time. I don't travel as much as I used to but I'll use L.A. and Austin. Texas as examples. The Greater Orange County Record Shows has been going once a month for over three decades, the first one I went to was in November 1987. With over 20 million people who live from San Diego to Ventura, the shows are well attended. Until a few years ago they were held every month except Christmas week, now they take August off and stay at ten months. They generally have 100 tables in the room and the building is the UCFW union hall in Buena Park.

You see a lot of foreign collectors there. One of the big Japan collector shops is Disk Union that has several stores in Japan and in fact set up an office and distribution center in San Francisco. And they are well financed, trust me. Check out their website. They are regular attendees at the show scouring the room for classic rock, jazz, r&B, etc.

Austin, Texas sports the biggest record show in the States. Simply called the Austin Record Convention, they've been promoting record shows twice a year since 1983. Before the internet came to be, I would guess around 4500 to 5000 would attend it. Nowadays it's closer to 3000 but that's still not a bad number considering what online businesses like Discogs and Music stack have done, and of course, E-bay. If I could make a guess as to how many Europeans show up at the convention, I would say around 150. A fair amount of them set up at the show itself but they usually don't bring lp's but rather 45's. Some of the coolest 45's I have bought are from Italy, Spain, and France. A lot of those guys travel in pairs with one guy manning the table and the other guy scouting out the room looking for product. And regarding my comment of communism, some new collectors have been surfacing from the early 1990's, I met a few collectors who are from East Berlin, talked to some Texas dealers and they mentioned that they met some collectors from Poland and Hungary. I've had some health issues over the last several years and I've had to put on the brakes regarding shows where I spend a week away from home. Travel expenses impact things too, especially motel rooms.

Other record shows with huge turnouts for attendance would be the WFMU show in New York. A similar one in Philadelphia is the WYSP convention in Philadelphia. They have them in most every state and you would be surprised where. A good site to scope out where the smaller ones are would be Record Shows of America; another one is Vinyl Record Shows.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-29-2018 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: addition, spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2018, 05:02 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,966,667 times
^
I am familiar with all of it. No, I have not been to all of those shows, or Disk Union in Japan, but familiar with all of them.
Record buyers were coming over here in droves in the very early 70's cleaning out cut out, and sale bins. Especially grabbing mono pressings.
It's amazing how long things would sit in cut out bins. Records could be a decade old and still sitting in some bin in the late 70's, early 80's. Found this still sealed in a thrift over the weekend. This record was easily almost a decade old when somebody bought it because of where it was sold. Maybe even older.

How would you even look at everything at that show.
I like smaller shows, shows that happen every month. You did mention a few.
I can get there early and sometimes it's still dark and to avoid table fees people will be outside. Especially in cold weather. I can be very fast in darkness with a headlight on top of my head.
I have seen people from all over the world at my humble little show.
Pulled this a couple years ago for a buck in clean shape Lightnin' Hopkins ‎ Lightnin' And The Blues on the black Herald Label. Still have it.

Always looking, buying when I can, and selling as much as I can. rarely keep anything anymore.
The most valuable records I usually find are classical because nobody knows what they are. Although I see a lot of guys buying worthless junk. Head scratch.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:01 PM

417 posts, read 191,100 times
Quote:
Because he sounds dumb. There isn't one story he told that made one bit of sense. Funny, because I received one of those reputation bumps for calling him out.

And we are talking about dying out hobbies, and stamp collecting is not dying out.

Collect what you want. What the hell does that have to do with anything I said?

He says stamp collecting is dumb (All two of him) and you are upset with me? And in the same breath comments how modern stamps are more important. Way cooler dude.......

Pre 1930 stamps were made in smaller numbers, and so many have much to do with history. FOR CENTURIES!!!

Many of the commemorative stamps post 1930 are very attractive, and are tied to history. INTENTIONALLY!!
They are neat, but made by the millions! Collect them if you want.

You don't collect Stamps for value, or importance, just ones that interest you? WTF!

And lastly if you can't tell that this person is operating multiple accounts then you are as silly as he is.

And all of this comment could be used as a metaphor to explain why people disappear from this site.

I'm not upset, why are you? You got a rep bump? Good for you.

I simply disagreed with the way you deemed him clueless because he happens to think that collecting stamps is stupid and that he never cared much for stamp collecting, (or coin collecting or model trains.) Maybe because he felt that it was forced on him by his grandfather. And he never said that new stamps are more important, just in his opinion, cooler. I don't agree with him on that but that doesn't make him dumb and clueless. It's just his opinion. There was no need for name calling.

Whether stamp collecting is dying is also a matter of opinion. Look the question up on line and you will see pages of debate.

As I said, I only collect the ones of interest to me. No need for a WTF? Again, I'm not in it for money. Is that all a collection means to you?

And lastly, I have no interest in his "multiple accounts". Is that silly? No big deal.

Maybe people disappear from this site because of people that degrade them in order to make themselves feel superior?! Again, just an opinion.

Last edited by addakisson; 12-02-2018 at 06:09 PM..

Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 AM

I got a second bump for calling him out.
You are as clueless as he is.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:19 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I have not read through all the replies here but most definitely family history (genealogy) has got to be a very fast dying hobby.
There are certain parts of the population, that are very into genealogy. Mormon Church is just one, who have Genealogy Libraries all over the world, where anyone (including non members) can go and use their resources to study their Genealogy. The library will be staffed, to assist and train you to do your genealogy studies.

Old 12-03-2018, 05:19 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I have not read through all the replies here but most definitely family history (genealogy) has got to be a very fast dying hobby.
Are you kidding!?! According to a relatively recent Time Magazine article and ABC News "...genealogy is the second most popular hobby in the U.S. after gardening." Ancestry sold more than 1.4 million AncestryDNA kits (at $99 per kit) in the fourth quarter of 2016 alone. Genealogy is definitely NOT dying out. It's growing every year.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Are you kidding!?! According to a relatively recent Time Magazine article and ABC News "...genealogy is the second most popular hobby in the U.S. after gardening." Ancestry sold more than 1.4 million AncestryDNA kits (at $99 per kit) in the fourth quarter of 2016 alone. Genealogy is definitely NOT dying out. It's growing every year.
Way cool dude.

I never really considered this a hobby, more of a family search. I guess the genealogy roadshow makes it a hobby.
I do believe the show eventually flopped. I think I watched one minute of it. Who cares about big leg Emma's ancestry besides big leg Emma. I mean this isn't finding your roots.

I am sure it's wildly popular, but a hobby?

My Father gave me one of the 23 and me test kits, and got irritated because I never used it. I gave it back to him the other day. It doesn't expire until November next year.

No offense, but what constitutes a hobby on here?

Is reading a hobby? People can read books on their kindle, but not collect them. It does not make them a bibliophile.

I like to drink a cup of coffee and go for a walk at night. Is that a hobby?

Everybody posting on here is using the internet to post to a social media platform. Is that a hobby?

Old 12-04-2018, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I got a second bump for calling him out.
You are as clueless as he is.

OOOOH, a second bump! TWO whole bumps!!! Well, aren't you the little expert!

I bow to your obvious superiority! "ALL HAIL Digger", Authority of all that is hobby!....Lighten up "Dude", it's just a discussion about hobbies not heart surgery.

Last edited by addakisson; 12-04-2018 at 05:56 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Way cool dude.

I never really considered this a hobby, more of a family search. I guess the genealogy roadshow makes it a hobby.
I do believe the show eventually flopped. I think I watched one minute of it. Who cares about big leg Emma's ancestry besides big leg Emma. I mean this isn't finding your roots.

I am sure it's wildly popular, but a hobby?

My Father gave me one of the 23 and me test kits, and got irritated because I never used it. I gave it back to him the other day. It doesn't expire until November next year.

Is reading a hobby? People can read books on their kindle, but not collect them. It does not make them a bibliophile.

Everybody posting on here is using the internet to post to a social media platform. Is that a hobby?

According to Websters, the definition of a hobby is: an activity done regularly in one's leisure for pleasure.

So, yes, all of that can be a hobby to somebody. Apparently, just not to you.

According to Webster's the definition of a Collector is: a person who collects things of a specific type, professionally or as a hobby.

You sound like more like a collector (as a hobby).

Old 12-04-2018, 08:00 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:

GOOD QUESTION!!!

Anything that you put time and effort into because you're curious or enjoy it I'd say. And if there is a forum for discussing it then I'm calling it a hobby.

There's a lot of similarity between an INTEREST and a HOBBY and I suspect things can be one or the other or both depending on who is doing them.

When I get interested in something I put a lot of effort into learning all I can about it whether it's reading up on something, trying something, discussing it with other people who are also interested, playing around with various components of it for fun or profit, etc. Sometimes I'm "into" something for years then loose interest because I've gone as far as I can or it's no longer enjoyable for whatever reason but when I'm actively pursuing it in a physical way I consider it a hobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation