Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2018, 03:14 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Well $5 was a LOT of money when I was a kid, but gosh I mowed lawns, delivered papers, actually worked and earned money.

Stamp collecting, coin collection, model railroads (I had a huge American Flyer train set).
Same here, I always found money for models and stamps

Both are dead hobbies today

A friend who owned the biggest stamp collecting shop in the area (notice I said ownED) told me to kust split up all of my plate blocks and use the stamps for postage,

For the record, who would want to collect today's stamps. They are awful. They look like kids collectors stamps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2018, 07:53 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,949 times
^
Hopefully people are not listening to this person.

Surprise, a shop? A lot of shops are going bye bye. Overpriced, the local market does not support the shop, and competition from the internet. Not to mention does the proprietor own the shop, or did they lease it? Like own the building. Yeah, that little thing called overhead.

Shops have been like this forever, but only had to compete with shows. Now they have to compete with the internet.

This applies to any shop. No matter what they are selling!

Funny, growing up in the 60's, and 70's I remember all kinds of shops, but one I never saw was Stamp shops. But I knew collectors growing up. And still do.

Last edited by Digger 68; 11-23-2018 at 08:02 PM..

Old 11-23-2018, 09:30 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,637,620 times
Yeah my grandpa tried to force me into both stamp collecting and coin collecting, with a side of model train collecting. My grandpa was your stereotypical old person who stopped accepting any world changes after he turned 25 or so, really nice guy, a great grandpa, but sadly a lot of people are just stuck in the past and seem to give up on the idea of changing with the times. I never much cared about stamps, but he gave me some, tried to make that a thing, and he gave me a bunch of coins from the mint, like sheets of each coin from 1991 or whatever at the time, I'm sure I still have them somewhere. Doubt they're worth anything more than just whatever the face value is lol.

I think today's stamps are way cooler anyway, they don't look super old and dated, there are stamps of things people actually care about, which is a positive change. Still a stupid thing to collect if you ask me, though. It's just kind of nonsense.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:20 PM

^
You need help.

How do people this clueless get these high reputation counts on this site.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:34 AM

John, and Mike are the same posters with different accounts? Not unusual for social media either. Sad.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:58 AM

417 posts, read 191,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Yeah my grandpa tried to force me into both stamp collecting and coin collecting, with a side of model train collecting. My grandpa was your stereotypical old person who stopped accepting any world changes after he turned 25 or so, really nice guy, a great grandpa, but sadly a lot of people are just stuck in the past and seem to give up on the idea of changing with the times. I never much cared about stamps, but he gave me some, tried to make that a thing, and he gave me a bunch of coins from the mint, like sheets of each coin from 1991 or whatever at the time, I'm sure I still have them somewhere. Doubt they're worth anything more than just whatever the face value is lol.

I think today's stamps are way cooler anyway, they don't look super old and dated, there are stamps of things people actually care about, which is a positive change. Still a stupid thing to collect if you ask me, though. It's just kind of nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
^
You need help.

How do people this clueless get these high reputation counts on this site.

Why does JonathanLB need help? He shared his story and gave his opinion.

I personally don't collect stamps because they are "important" or are worth anything. I collect the ones that are of interest to me.

Maybe his reputation counts are high because others don't think he is clueless?!

Old 11-25-2018, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addakisson View Post
Why does JonathanLB need help? He shared his story and gave his opinion.

I personally don't collect stamps because they are "important" or are worth anything. I collect the ones that are of interest to me.

Maybe his reputation counts are high because others don't think he is clueless?!
Because he sounds dumb. There isn't one story he told that made one bit of sense. Funny, because I received one of those reputation bumps for calling him out.

And we are talking about dying out hobbies, and stamp collecting is not dying out.

Collect what you want. What the hell does that have to do with anything I said?

He says stamp collecting is dumb (All two of him) and you are upset with me? And in the same breath comments how modern stamps are more important. Way cooler dude.......

Pre 1930 stamps were made in smaller numbers, and so many have much to do with history. FOR CENTURIES!!!

Many of the commemorative stamps post 1930 are very attractive, and are tied to history. INTENTIONALLY!!
They are neat, but made by the millions! Collect them if you want.

You don't collect Stamps for value, or importance, just ones that interest you? WTF!

And lastly if you can't tell that this person is operating multiple accounts then you are as silly as he is.

And all of this comment could be used as a metaphor to explain why people disappear from this site.

Last edited by Digger 68; 11-25-2018 at 07:52 PM..

Old 11-25-2018, 08:55 PM

433 posts, read 405,767 times
Collecting world banknotes? https://regulaforensics.com/en/suppo...anknotes/#g815

Old 11-25-2018, 09:03 PM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Is coin collecting becoming a dead hobby? For the longest time I was likely the youngest coin collector around, started at age six and inherited all of my relatives collections. I'm a big fan of collecting Morgan Silver Dollars, $10-$20 Gold Coins, Silver Half Dollars, Mercury Dimes, Buffalo Nickels, etc. I haven't spent much time with adding additional old coins to my collection in many years, however.

Old 11-26-2018, 04:38 AM

155 posts, read 125,936 times
Hobbies and interests change...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation