Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 05:54 AM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Woodworking is one
Definitely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 12:45 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Woodworking is one
Thank heaven fine woodworking is still with us! You can find it in art galleries and specialty furniture stores, boutique furniture shops. I love find woodworking as an art form.

Old 04-08-2022, 11:03 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I would say model trains is a aging hobby that the younger generation is not getting into. Kids like trains but buying them and setting them up to run in moms basement is not high on many kids list of interest.
The Model Train hobby has many niches when it comes to the scales. I enjoy the large scale ones that run outdoors and that niche is fading fast due to cost, work and the large amount of space a decent RR takes up.

So many kids are into sports and even more are into video games and playing on the computer that it takes up much of their leisure time.
Reponding to a six old post... I tried getting into model railroading. I wanted to do HO scale and bought some freight cars, a few engines and was getting the track. I don't have space for an actual model railroad, so I was planning to do some diaromas and actually started on one. My problem with the hobby? It's too damn expensive. Even without the issue of setting up a running model, it was getting pretty expensive.

But there are a lot of Facebook groups that tell me the hobby is still going strong. The train shows are starting baack up after the pandemic, too. Me? I will probably donate the cars I bought to a hometown model train club and railroad museum that I am tight with.

Old 04-08-2022, 12:44 PM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtvaj125 View Post
I still remembered as a kid you could go to any corner drug store and they'll actually have a very nice selection of kits.
I remember those too. I tried to put together a model car when I was probably 10 but had no guidance or help with it and ended up with a lot of Testor's Cement on my fingers. I ended up scotch taping the hood on because I couldn't figure out how the hinge was supposed to work. It's a family story to this day, especially with my older brother the electrical engineer.

That was a very proto-software-developer thing to do, classic duct tape improvisation ...

Old 04-22-2022, 01:40 AM

357 posts, read 222,513 times
I started collecting stamps when I was little because my step grandfather did (he had a business selling them and coins) so he helped me with them and he gave a lot of stamps. So now I looked at them after running into them when getting out Easter deco and found a few that after looking them up online seem to be worth a ton of money. The problem is I am not even sure how to go about selling them.

I think that stained glass anything is falling by the wayside. I happen to love anything that is made of glass and then put into any artform.

Old 04-22-2022, 05:52 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
I make scale miniatures--like dollhouses, but for grown ups.
It was super popular in the 1980s; the clubs I've belonged to in 3 states have consisted almost entirely of people who got started back then. The clubs get smaller and smaller as members die.

But there seem to be quite a few younger miniaturists who are doing fun stuff. They just don't seem to be joining the old clubs or spending as much money on fine pieces.

I've seen similar with embroidery; some older types of decorative stitching have nearly disappeared, while fresh, new ideas are popping up.

Maybe other hobbies that seem to be dying out are really just changing with the generations. I suspect that in a few decades, the older styles will be rediscovered and enjoy a Renaissance. Everything old becomes new again.

Old 04-22-2022, 06:21 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Maybe other hobbies that seem to be dying out are really just changing with the generations. I suspect that in a few decades, the older styles will be rediscovered and enjoy a Renaissance. Everything old becomes new again.
And eventually some of the items that are now common will be genuinely rare and valuable, because so much is being thrown away these days as "worthless, useless clutter."

I can sure tell you about some people who wish they hadn't thrown out their vintage LPs a few decades ago because "no one uses those any more."

Old 04-27-2022, 11:50 AM

20,005 posts, read 13,480,828 times
I don't know that it's dying out exactly, but a former passion of mine suffers from the perception that it is dying out, because it is full of older people: Theatre pipe organ (as in Wurlitzers and other brands that were installed in theaters to accompany silent movies originally, also known as 'unit orchestras').

I left it because I wasn't that good at playing, it's expensive, and at least in the area I lived at the time, the theatre organ clubs were rather cliquish.

One can buy old pipe organs for a song and dance and then spend a fortune shoehorning them into your home and renovating them. People have fun with it. I remember visiting some guy's house out west who had a medium size one where the pipes were installed in his garage and spoke into his living room from there. He had added a flute celeste rank which he labeled Flute To Adore on the stop tab of the organ console, because it was literally mounted on the door that led from the living room to the garage. Flute To A Door, get it? OK well, what can I say, geeks of any stripe have groaner senses of humor!

I don't think it's actually a dying hobby in that it is full of old people because it is a relatively upper middle class and above hobby, it just costs too much. It's an alternative to having a boat or a 2nd home in your retirement. They keep finding new leases on life; in the 1950s it was as the subject of high fidelity demo LP recordings which introduced it to a new audience; of late it has been the province of hobbyists building digital replicas at home from various computer and MIDI components. Allen Organ Co makes several digital production models if you have $40K and up burning a hole in your pocket, too.

I miss it at times but have plenty of other interests and besides it was either the 4 manual organ I had, or the wife, and she wouldn't leave ;-)

Old 04-27-2022, 02:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Thank heaven fine woodworking is still with us! You can find it in art galleries and specialty furniture stores, boutique furniture shops. I love find woodworking as an art form.
I have many hobbies, among them is woodworking, but also bonsai, stained glass, and classic cars. I have sold my stained glass art through an consignment art gallery, the rest are for my own enjoyment. My wife sews and especially does quilting, not blankets but art quilts that hang on the walls. She must have 50 that
she rotates on our walls. She also makes her own clothes, and has 4 machines currently, a big embroidery machine, a smaller sewing machine, a Serger and an Overlock. What I have noticed is that the sewing machine stores, fabric stores and quilt shops seem to be closing up right and left. We have to drive a lot father now to find what she needs.

My latest wood project was a Maple Burl wormwood Table.

Old 04-27-2022, 05:33 PM

9,459 posts, read 5,221,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I have many hobbies, among them is woodworking, but also bonsai, stained glass, and classic cars. I have sold my stained glass art through an consignmentLOV art gallery, the rest are for my own enjoyment. My wife sews and especially does quilting, not blankets but art quilts that hang on the walls. She must have 50 that
she rotates on our walls. She also makes her own clothes, and has 4 machines currently, a big embroidery machine, a smaller sewing machine, a Serger and an Overlock. What I have noticed is that the sewing machine stores, fabric stores and quilt shops seem to be closing up right and left. We have to drive a lot father now to find what she needs.

My latest wood project was a Maple Burl wormwood Table.
LOVE this table.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation