Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 12:39 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,146,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
I'm sorry but "fan" revenue counts for very little toward running the team......Buffalo is definitely "small market" because it has little revenue coming in when compared with the likes of the Rangers, Toronto, Boston, Philadelphia etc. .....of course a new building would help but having an owner like Comcast with DEEP pockets is what makes the difference between small and big market teams and revenue.
It's true that Buffalo is not the Rangers but they also are not the Islanders who are lower on the totem pole.Comcast also doesn't own the team,it's computer associates.The other issue is that when a guy like Wang tries to get public funds or programs,he is shot down by the Republican representatives in Nassau County so if they wont help,he wont do it all on his own,so the Isles might eventually go and if you don't think that selling seats,concessions,and tv rights don't play a big role,then you're nuts.Once again Buffalo doesn't have the money of the Rangers but they have a hell of alot more then the Isles are given.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 03:30 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,977,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
It's true that Buffalo is not the Rangers but they also are not the Islanders who are lower on the totem pole.Comcast also doesn't own the team,it's computer associates.The other issue is that when a guy like Wang tries to get public funds or programs,he is shot down by the Republican representatives in Nassau County so if they wont help,he wont do it all on his own,so the Isles might eventually go and if you don't think that selling seats,concessions,and tv rights don't play a big role,then you're nuts.Once again Buffalo doesn't have the money of the Rangers but they have a hell of alot more then the Isles are given.
To be perfectly honest I'm really tired of sports teams owners whining about the facilities they play in and expect the public to foot the bill to provide them new stadiums. Ed Snider, original owner of the Flyers and still president under Comcast built BOTH his arenas, the Spectrum and this new arena, with his own money and didn't ask for a dime of public money. The owners want all the reward and none of the risk. Our Eagles demanded and got a new facility a few years back to play 8 games a year at home and maybe playoff games and the public had to foot the bill while the NFL team owner reaps huge profits.....thats just not right. Your an owner of a sports team and want a new building.....build it yourself and stop the whining.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
To be perfectly honest I'm really tired of sports teams owners whining about the facilities they play in and expect the public to foot the bill to provide them new stadiums. Ed Snider, original owner of the Flyers and still president under Comcast built BOTH his arenas, the Spectrum and this new arena, with his own money and didn't ask for a dime of public money. The owners want all the reward and none of the risk. Our Eagles demanded and got a new facility a few years back to play 8 games a year at home and maybe playoff games and the public had to foot the bill while the NFL team owner reaps huge profits.....thats just not right. Your an owner of a sports team and want a new building.....build it yourself and stop the whining.
I agree 100% but when it comes to the coliseum Wang is caught in a bad lease agreement.There is something called the Lighthouse project where they were supposed to build a new facility on the same land and build new luxury apartments,a mall,restaurants,etc...and all the local politicians were for it and so was the public,but the main politician who could stop or delay it currently has and wont answer why. She has been giving Wang a hard time about this,that's why he threatened to move the team to KC. The problem with KC is that when the Isles played an exhibition game there, barely anyone showed,leaving Wang to believe that it wouldn't be an improvement. I was stationed in the area years ago near KC and there's not a good hockey fan base there;football and baseball yes.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I agree 100% but when it comes to the coliseum Wang is caught in a bad lease agreement.There is something called the Lighthouse project where they were supposed to build a new facility on the same land and build new luxury apartments,a mall,restaurants,etc...and all the local politicians were for it and so was the public,but the main politician who could stop or delay it currently has and wont answer why. She has been giving Wang a hard time about this,that's why he threatened to move the team to KC. The problem with KC is that when the Isles played an exhibition game there, barely anyone showed,leaving Wang to believe that it wouldn't be an improvement. I was stationed in the area years ago near KC and there's not a good hockey fan base there;football and baseball yes.
Wang was aware of the lease agreement when he bought the team....no use whining about it now.....the time to negotiate is over. Again, in these economic times what politician is going to give away tax dollars for a hockey rink so Mr. Wang can make more money with so many people unemployed ?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Wang was aware of the lease agreement when he bought the team....no use whining about it now.....the time to negotiate is over. Again, in these economic times what politician is going to give away tax dollars for a hockey rink so Mr. Wang can make more money with so many people unemployed ?
What are you talking about? The lighthouse project is not fully funded by the public and would create 1000's of jobs with the new mall and the building of it,and would bring in new income from the luxury apartments. It's a win win.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:55 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? The lighthouse project is not fully funded by the public and would create 1000's of jobs with the new mall and the building of it,and would bring in new income from the luxury apartments. It's a win win.
I'm talking about an owner being responsible for the cost of a building HIS team plays in and he makes money off of.....let Wang and all team owners pay for their portion of any projects that might happen to include a sports facility. I'm tired of rich team owners reaching into the publics pockets to pay for their sports facilities.....even if they're connected to other projects. Why should the public have to fund any portion of any private project thats going to create profit for private individuals at all ? Let the owners and developers take the risk and put their money up especially when most of the time the ground they want to build their free sports facilities on is donated by the town/city. I'm tired on my tax dollars being spent to benifit private owners especially when both our federal and state governments are operating at a DEFICIT !!!

Old 02-23-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about an owner being responsible for the cost of a building HIS team plays in and he makes money off of.....let Wang and all team owners pay for their portion of any projects that might happen to include a sports facility. I'm tired of rich team owners reaching into the publics pockets to pay for their sports facilities.....even if they're connected to other projects. Why should the public have to fund any portion of any private project thats going to create profit for private individuals at all ? Let the owners and developers take the risk and put their money up especially when most of the time the ground they want to build their free sports facilities on is donated by the town/city. I'm tired on my tax dollars being spent to benifit private owners especially when both our federal and state governments are operating at a DEFICIT !!!
We're mostly at a defecit because of an idiotic president that has since left office. As for the lighthouse project only a portion will be based on public funds but the 1000's of jobs will help the local areas as will the apartment revenue for the town and county.

Old 02-23-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
We're mostly at a defecit because of an idiotic president that has since left office. As for the lighthouse project only a portion will be based on public funds but the 1000's of jobs will help the local areas as will the apartment revenue for the town and county.
While I agree that Bush was an idiot he certainly isn't the cause of most every state and town spending more money than they have and operating at a deficit.....this has been going on for decades and while we as individual citizens can't operate our own bank accounts the way state and federal government does we can put our collective feet down and say NO MORE to spending even a single public dollar for any more sports facilities as long as we are operating at a deficit. If some owners can find/borrow the funds to build their arenas let them ALL do it.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
While I agree that Bush was an idiot he certainly isn't the cause of most every state and town spending more money than they have and operating at a deficit.....this has been going on for decades and while we as individual citizens can't operate our own bank accounts the way state and federal government does we can put our collective feet down and say NO MORE to spending even a single public dollar for any more sports facilities as long as we are operating at a deficit. If some owners can find/borrow the funds to build their arenas let them ALL do it.
If it was only about a new coliseum i'd 100% agree.The fact about being a whole community with stores,etc...that aren't going to be in the facility makes me partially disagree.

Try this link: http://www.lighthouseli.com/home

Old 02-24-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
If it was only about a new coliseum i'd 100% agree.The fact about being a whole community with stores,etc...that aren't going to be in the facility makes me partially disagree.

Try this link: The Lighthouse at Long Island

Then let the team owner who stands to profit greatly from this project pay for his portion of the proposed community ? Other team owners have done it....why should he be exempt ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey