Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 08:37 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itz View Post
I think people should buy what they like and want and not what someone says is "in".

I tend to always ask... "Who says this is the new thng?"
You are very right. I always inform my customers what is "in" based on what the majority do buy. And I also tell them exactly what you just said....to buy what YOU like. But I always add to keep in mind that if you buy something so out of the ordinary that come time to sell, no one will buy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2010, 09:28 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
And what is "in" mass market these days usually happens because something is genuinely visually appealing to a lot of consumers. Yes, it's easy to argue that light cherry/maple cabinets with black granite countertops are horribly overdone these days, but it's because it is a pleasant look- the grain of the wood seems more modern/contemporary than oak or pine and the contrast between cabinet and the black counters is pleasantly sharp, with the black serving as a nice counterpoint to the lightness of the wood.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:08 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,988,207 times
It's easy to say that one likes something or that it's pleasing or contemporary or practical, but we don't live in a vacuum. I think most of the time, our ideas of pleasing or contemporary are GREATLY influenced by our surroundings. I think it's most unlikely that so many people decided on their own, without outside influence, that cherry/stainless/granite were pleasing. Remember, back in the 70's avocado appliances were pleasing and contemporary. Trends are contagious. And changing trends keep a lot of people in business.

Old 06-17-2010, 02:39 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We've had many discussions on here about when granite will go out of style.

I was surprised to hear interior designers and realtors saying that granite is overdone, that they are so over granite, that granite is too overpowering, etc.

The last show I heard these comments was on Bang for Your Buck.

If interior designers and realtors are starting to say this on decorating shows, I'd say that we might be heading towards the end of the granite phase.
Translated: The market is saturated and pretty much everyone who is gonna buy granite countertops has already done so. Time for a new trendy product so we can make more money!

Old 06-17-2010, 05:15 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
All I know is I want what I like, and what is practical for my lifestyle. What you other people do is not of concern to me. Who cares what is in or out? I, historically, move every 18 years or so, so everything I choose today will be out of style anyway. Please yourself, not the folks at HGTV.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:32 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
So true a lot of people remodel without professionals. But don't forget they do buy their products from some one. Whether it be the big box store, a lumber yard or a small retailer/wholesaler, the numbers are still recorded. That is the numbers I talk about.

My bubble extends far beyond Texas my friend. My book has been sold throughout North America.

I have a great mistrust for statistics your govt reports. I mistrust anything reported by the NAR, But I don't really see any reason for the NKBA to misrepresent any numbers. What would be their motive? Why did you leave the industry? I hope it's not because you hated it or got sick of it.
I left the industry because I was getting my M.Ed. And our twins were on the way. I knew I was going to stay at home with them, so I would have left anyway.

I don't think the NKBA misrepresents numbers, but I'm positive they don't get statistics on all the kitchens sold OR remodels and resurfacing. Not every company is a member of the NKBA. Just like every designer isn't a member of ASID.

Sometimes this board kind of makes me feel like I'm on glue.

I will say that it's definitely better to pick what you like, but if there is any chance you're going to sell your house in 5 to 10 years, why not select more timeless materials that will appeal to a huge segment of the population?

Old 06-17-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I havent used granite on a project in over 2 years, i've been saying that its done for over 3 years.
Now the biggies are catching up with me, finally!

Exactly what are you specifying? And what kind of budget are the kitchens/baths you've designed had? I have to ask because 2 years and not one house with granite is kind of weird.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:36 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post

I will say that it's definitely better to pick what you like, but if there is any chance you're going to sell your house in 5 to 10 years, why not select more timeless materials that will appeal to a huge segment of the population?
^ I always encourage my clients to go with timeless, and ignore whats trendy.
It always works into better resale value!

Old 06-17-2010, 10:00 PM

That didn't really answer the question.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:39 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Exactly what are you specifying? And what kind of budget are the kitchens/baths you've designed had? I have to ask because 2 years and not one house with granite is kind of weird.
I have been doing recycled glass, copper, zinc, soapstone, quartz and concrete, depends on the style of the house.
I do higher-end design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating