Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:10 AM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
About.com says, "Nothing heavy, nothing hanging, please do not hang wind chimes and bells above your head, this is bad feng shui. Anything heavier than a piece of fabric above your bed will create oppressive/heavy energy which will, sooner or later, manifest in your daily life."
Except that the ceiling fan gets rid of the oppressive/heavy air.

Quote:
Other feng shui bedroom edicts include:
- All doors in the room should be closed while you sleep, including closets.
I've had this habit ever since I was a kid watching Dark Shadows. Barnabas always snuck into the Collinwood bedrooms via the secret tunnels that opened into the closets. No monsters under my bed; just vampires in the closet.

Quote:
- Your bed should not be positioned directly opposite the door (tell that to the interior decorators of America).
And to the architects that design a room so that's the only place you can put the bed.

Quote:
- Never place your bed under a sloped ceiling because there will be pressure on you while you sleep.
Sucks if you live in a story-and-a-half Cape Cod, doesn't it?

Quote:
- A window behind your headboard weakens your personal energy.
Any mother will tell you that's a bad idea anyway. You'll catch your death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Depends. How often do you have sex on the dining room table?
How many times his week?

Speaking of chandeliers. We have all heard of the kids swinging from the chandelier. Well, MINE DID! When we first moved into this house I had sold our dining room table before we moved so our dining room was empty. The chandelier hangs at the proper height, where me at 5'3" can walk under it and just barely skim it. Well, one day I come walking towards the study and look over and see my then 3 year old SWINGING ON THE CHANDELIER! We bought a dining room table that weekend.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,894,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Depends. How often do you have sex on the dining room table?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
I'm back. I want a chandelier over the bed, but again, Mr. What-if-it-Falls-on-My-Head has nixed the idea....for now. And I don't think his head would be in the way. Has anyone ever really heard of a chandelier falling down? To appease me, he volunteered to put one up in my closet and I like that idea too!
My 16 year old has a very large bedroom, 16x18. She has my great grandmothers bedroom furniture that I refinished and her bed is at an angle coming out from the corner and the walls are Tiffany Blue (we literally took a Tiffany box to the paint store and had it matched). She wants a chandelier over her bed as well and we have been looking for one. I think w/ her bedroom it would look really nice.

I want a chandelier in my master bath hanging over the jacuzzi tub. I think it would add a lot of elegance to it. Only thing is we also have a ceiling fan in there and it would look kind of cluttered to me. We have a ceiling fan in the center of our bedroom as well. It's not close to my husbands head though. But he still curses the iron wall hanging I have over the pantry door in the kitchen. IT FELL ON HIM!!! How on earth it did I have no clue as it has never even so much as moved and then one day he just fell right on him. He must have been doing something bad

Old 03-09-2011, 07:38 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,057,446 times
I live in a '70s house with very low ceilings and have a very tall metal bed, so there's no room for artwork. Plus, living atop an active fault for many years left me a little nervous about something falling on me while I sleep. I'm a simplifier at heart, so it suits me just fine.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,929 times
I have a large, dried floral swag over my bed. I'd prefer a print or painting, I just haven't found anything I like enough to persuade me to part with my money.

I have NEVER considered the possibility of anything falling down and hitting me or my husband, lol. This thread has been quite entertaining.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:11 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
I have a large, dried floral swag over my bed. I'd prefer a print or painting, I just haven't found anything I like enough to persuade me to part with my money.

I have NEVER considered the possibility of anything falling down and hitting me or my husband, lol. This thread has been quite entertaining.
OH, NO!!!!!!!!! Dried floral swag?!?!? And you live to talk about it??? You must be super-bad to survive with all that bad chi.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:36 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,916 times
I already have to think long enough about how to position my furniture and place accents to achieve a nice result when it comes to home decor, if I were to follow those feng shui rules it would drive me bananas! (but if it works for you, go ahead!)

I think a beautiful headboard is the way to go. I have also seen many beautiful decals. At first I thought they would be cheesy but some of them are very upscale and elegant. A nice option if you don't want to hang anything or if your room is somehow oddly-shaped for a big headboard.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:01 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,119,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
This thread is a hoot.
I agree! It's nice to see people having fun.

I ~always~ close the closet doors. I thought it was to keep the monsters inside. I have a fear of mirrors too, so none for me.

Unfortunately, my bedroom is full of windows, so my bed has to be under a window. It kind of "floats" in the center of an ell in the room, so nothing is hung above it. Oh and my ceilings are sloped. Dang it!

I DO like the idea of a mini-chandelier in the bedroom.

Old 03-10-2011, 05:41 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I DO like the idea of a mini-chandelier in the bedroom.
Make sure it hangs low enough to swing from it.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:23 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,929 times
The dried floral is a violation? Yikes. Am I violating the feng or the shui? Is there an antidote? A small pile of rocks topped with a few chicken feathers, sitting in an Eastern window? Two mirrors facing each other to reflect the reflection of the reflected? Do I need to add more feng or more shui?

Nevermind. I'm probably just doomed. DOOMED!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating