Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:23 PM

38 posts, read 156,790 times

Advertisements

Ok so maybe everyone here can help me decide how to set up my living room.

The hardwood floors and paint are being redone so it's open season. The room is a rectangle shape,
So to the left of this picture is the door, the far right leads to the dining room, and behind where the picture is taken leads up stairs-->

So I am thinking, refering to 1st picture, that the tv and stand go against the far wall. Love seat against the wall leading to the dining room and couch against the large window wall. Then an area rug and coffee table in the center of the room. Against the wall between coat door and stairs is a simple seat to sit on and take off shoes. What do you think? The tv stand is about 24" tall and 55-60" long with a 55"LED sitting on it.

The hardwood floor is getting redone in a darker stain, the floors in person are a lot lighter then the pictures...really! The walls are getting painted a beige color, the trim will be get repainted white. Does this make sense? Ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 11:37 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,269,233 times
I'd put the tv on the far wall where you proposed. A full couch, or loveseat if one didn't fit, on the long wall without the windows. And two club chairs or swivel chairs with a table and lamp in between in front of the windows.

Several possibilities between the closet door and stairs: bookcase, upholstered bench with arms in pattern to match curtains, etagere with photos, hat rack with plant or statue under. I wouldn't paint the room beige.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:46 AM

Ok if you disagree on the paint what do you think? Please be honest, hateful, negative, positive I don't get offended and would rather know what objective persons ideas!

Old 04-29-2011, 12:52 AM

My idea of beige is this

give or take a shade...

Old 04-29-2011, 06:47 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelranger View Post
My idea of beige is this

give or take a shade...
Nice crisp color, but without seeing the furniture, its rather impossible to give helpful advice.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Do you have enough room to put a couch/love seat between (and perpendicular to) the door and window? If it fits right, you're creating a sense that there's a hallway there and the front door doesn't dump you immedistely into the living room, and it would also make the room seem more like a square and less like a long narrow rectangle. Then tv stand on the far wall (sometimes it's nice to be able to easily hear the tv while cooking, maybe a low window seat/storage unit along the window wall and underneath the sill, and some interesting wall artwork or a small comfy chair on the wall opposite the windows.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:03 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
OP: that isn't a living room so much as it's a hallway.

Assuming there is another way into the DR... I'd think hard about setting something big and substantial down at that end of the room like book cases with a spot for the flat screen...
and some of your other entertainment console components (and actual books too).

You might be able to put a small sofa in front of that window... but I'm thinking tub chairs and even recliners would give you the flexibility you probably need more. Those and a few small tables are about all the room you have.

Swivel and point those chairs at each other for conversation or toward the TV for watching. Done.

Even if you block access to/through the Dining Room (except for TG and funerals)

Old 04-29-2011, 07:09 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,000,102 times
Here is what I would do:

Lose the love seat---the room is too small.

Put the sofa under the big window. Entertainment center opposite the window (straight across from the sofa). Get a big fabulous piece of art for the far wall by the dining room with two comfy smaller chairs underneath and a small table and lamp of some kind. Rug and coffee table with the sofa group.

Get a small bench like you mentioned on the wall between the stairs and closet and hang a shelf above it with hooks to hang your purse, keys, etc.

Have fun!

Old 05-10-2011, 04:41 PM

Ok, I got some updated pictures to give you a better feel of the room...Any new opinions?
The below picture wall isn't completely painted...

This picture shows the paint color...I got talked out of the beige...

Old 05-10-2011, 05:19 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Do you have enough room to put a couch/love seat between (and perpendicular to) the door and window? If it fits right, you're creating a sense that there's a hallway there and the front door doesn't dump you immedistely into the living room, and it would also make the room seem more like a square and less like a long narrow rectangle. Then tv stand on the far wall (sometimes it's nice to be able to easily hear the tv while cooking, maybe a low window seat/storage unit along the window wall and underneath the sill, and some interesting wall artwork or a small comfy chair on the wall opposite the windows.
beachmouse is on the right track. When you have a long narrow space it's best to divide into more proportional spaces.

I'd take that first little space by the door and think "entryway". Perhaps a low bookshelf or cabinet with a lamp. A place to throw the mail and the keys as one enters. A small chair or a bench. A rug that can handle wet shoes and boots. Perhaps even an umbrella stand and a mirror on the wall....

As far as furniture, I'd loose the sofa and keep the love seat and just add a comfy chair (or two if space allows) and add a big long ottoman that can double as either extra seating, as a foot rest, or as a cocktail table with a tray on top.

Good luck and best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating