Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2011, 09:12 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I believe it was hay. Yes hay. The women that lived in the house were pissed upon the reveal because they had toddlers. Ya, that was a good choice.
Classic case of a designer not listening to a clients wants and needs.
Design school 101.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 09:22 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,148,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Classic case of a designer not listening to a clients wants and needs.
Design school 101.
That show never asked the clients what they wanted. It was pure reality tv. I think the idea was the designers could come up with the most outlandish designs possible (aka destroy someone's home) all for the good of the show. I was hooked on it at first because it was like watching a train wreck. lol.

Here is what the homeowners said after the crew left.

.For partners April Kilstrom and Leslie Hoover, that taped reaction is nothing compared with what they feel now - after discovering just how bad the actual makeover and experience really were. The same goes for their neighbors Rhea and Mike Wisherop who, despite the fact that they actually liked the work April and Leslie did on their kitchen, felt like they almost lost some friends over what was supposed to be a fun experience and a chance to be on TV.

"We were going to have a "Trading Spaces" party and 'reveal' our rooms to our friends," Rhea Wisherop said, laughing at the thought. "We're not doing that."

[]"The homeowners have no control," Rhea Wisherop said. [] I did not say,'I think my neighbor would like hay and straw on the wall.' "

"I was so disappointed," Kilstrom said about the experience. As for "the reveal," well: "I was stunned - I said a bad word." []A 13-foot section of Douglas fir that served as her fireplace mantel was sledgehammered and sawed out - replaced with pine, for some reason - and hidden under part of a renovation that included bookcases (that immediately pulled away from the wall).

"We didn't know they had taken out the mantel until (the show) was gone," Kilstrom said. An early estimate puts replacing the wood at $3,000. That's on top of the $500 the couple spent to put their kids, ages 15 months and 3 years, up in a hotel with Kilstrom's mother and to board four pets for the duration of the filming.

"Sorry, I'm a little bitter," she said. But it would be hard not to be upset at what happened. It took five adults 17 hours to get the glue off, Kilstrom said. Two of those adults were the Wisherops, who knew as it was happening that they'd have some cleaning up to do.

Check out the video. http://tlc.discovery.com/videos/trad...-of-straw.html

Last edited by fallingwater; 08-04-2011 at 09:31 PM..

Old 08-04-2011, 10:02 PM

^^^And I would bet $$$ the homeowners had to pay for any repairs.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:07 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I think most of us would prefer original art - but some of us probably can't afford the kind of original art that we are attracted to so prints nicely framed are the next best thing. I always think it is so incredibly snobby to insist that everyone should have original art.

"Affordable" original art is often not that great. Beautifully painted art is almost always expensive.
Geebus. If you look at my original post, it was about pretty wealthy people to begin with.

And EVERYTHING ON HERE is snobby - we are trashing other people's taste!

My parents bring back little fabrics and woodwork from their travels and just frame it nicely. That looks fantastic, too.

Old 08-04-2011, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

And EVERYTHING ON HERE is snobby
I beg your pardon?
If someone asks me for an opinion, I tell them.....they could be paying someone $100 per-hour for what I post for free!
-shrugs-

Old 08-05-2011, 09:23 AM

2,419 posts, read 2,989,879 times
I think that there's a pretty slim line between "mistake" and difference in taste. I think mistakes are things that people do without giving them much thought, not realizing that there's a better way or not realizing that it's very out of date, or when someone does something for a specific effect and it just doesn't work. Like hanging pictures way to high or low. That's probably a mistake that they don't realize they're doing. Or that too-small rug under the coffee table. If someone gives something particular thought and chooses carefully, then I don't consider it a mistake as much as a difference in taste.

For instance, I am the sole person here (I think) that actually likes vertical blinds in some cases. (Oh horrors!) But I've given it a lot of thought and I've considered the alternative and I still like them best in some cases. I don't consider it a mistake because I'm quite aware of what I'm doing. It's just that I have different taste in that case. Imagine if I let it slip that I abhor oak cabinets and that I think they're a mistake! I think for my own safety it's better to chalk that one up to a difference in taste!

I'm not sure how to classify tacky. Is it a mistake or a difference in taste? I guess it could be either or both.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:28 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Decorating mistakes are one thing - judging people's decorating based on how much money you think they have is quite another.
Oh please.

We could just as easily ask who YOU are to "judge people" on what YOU have deemed their decorating "mistakes". And I noticed you posted a hell of a longer list of "mistakes" than I did.

Your list is so long, that you could hardly avoid "judging" most houses you enter! And what if those people you are judging have decorating "mistakes" because they can't afford to replace anything?

You don't have a leg to stand on in trying to single me out.

You know nothing about my life or my friends. The houses I'm talking about belong to people I am close to and I have a lot of insight. I happen to know that buying from a gallery just does not occur to them.

I don't judge their worth as people. This is a thread that asked a question about decorating preferences and I gave my personal view.

And let's not forget why I even mentioned money in the first place. It was because YOU said that most good original art is pricey (not true) and that not everyone could afford it. I only said that my friends can afford it in answer to YOU.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:31 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,412,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
and everything on here is snobby - we are trashing other people's taste!
Exactly.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:43 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
I think that there's a pretty slim line between "mistake" and difference in taste. I think mistakes are things that people do without giving them much thought, not realizing that there's a better way or not realizing that it's very out of date, .
'Out of date' is a matter of taste, not a mistake. It references trends and people's opinions that you should keep up with trends and eschew the old.

And I think the word 'mistake' is used tongue in cheek in the op question. Unless you have installed your furniture on the ceiling, there really are no real decorating 'mistakes.'

Old 08-05-2011, 10:48 AM

935 posts, read 3,448,650 times
Oh my, everyone take a deep breath.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating