Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 11:02 AM

2,414 posts, read 2,988,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
'Out of date' is a matter of taste, not a mistake. It references trends and people's opinions that you should keep up with trends and eschew the old.
I can agree with you on that when people choose something out of date simply because they love it and not because they think it's trendy when it's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 11:14 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
For instance, I am the sole person here (I think) that actually likes vertical blinds in some cases.

I like them, too.

Mainly because I really DIS-like drapery. Give me a nice, clean, set of blinds any time.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:32 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
I can agree with you on that when people choose something out of date simply because they love it and not because they think it's trendy when it's not.
Lol...I don't do anything trendy just bc it's trendy. Similarly, I don't eschew it because I am trying to avoid being trendy.

I loved certain features since I was a kid (the 80s).

Just like there to be lots of natural (as in 'found in nature') materials featured and prominently displayed in the house...stones (granite, marble, river rock), woods, earth tones, potted plants (real), leather, handwoven silks and wools, some irons and bronzes (in fixtures, chandeliers, lamps)...our bedroom and master bath are being done in an island estate sort of a look, and we even have stuff we've brought back from our various trips to the Caribbean and Hawaii. Not kitsch, but not classic bedroom suite - more of a hotel look - Seven Stars Grace Bay Turks and Caicos was our inspiration.

I think some people might come in here and think, "Well, this isn't very 'today,' is it?" I don't care. It's my house. I have to live here.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:30 PM

501 posts, read 1,474,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
Hemp and grasscloth are similar in appearance. You can get it in different types of weaves. Some are more uniform than others. They may come in a vertical stripe, horizontal stripe or something that looks more like a weave. There are linen looking wall covers too. You can get them in either natural materials or vinyl. Any fabric or natural fiber will collect dust and be harder to keep clean than a vinyl--which doesn't look as natural, but hey, you can hose it down.

I think the biggest challenge with natural materials after cleaning it, is uniformity. Its harder to match seams since there are not repeats and color lots can vary.

Real Grasscloth: Yoshi Grasscloth Wallcovering - Creative Wallcovering,Inc (http://www.creativewallcovering.com/pc/18ntf-5002774/naturaltextures4/Yoshi+Grasscloth+Wallcovering.html - broken link)

Vinyl Grasscloth look: QT25602 - Wallpaper | Quintessential | StevesWallpaper.com

Natural woven wall coverings: Natural Textures IV - Creative Wallcovering,Inc (http://www.creativewallcovering.com/wallpaper-naturaltextures4.html - broken link)

Vinyl Hemp Look: Book #: 456, Steve's Wallpaper

Vinyl Linen Look: Book #: 1872, Steve's Wallpaper
You are so repped!

Thanks again for posting the links and for educating me on grasscloth. I've always loved the look of natural fibers and there are some gorgeous ones shown. However, I think hanging the natural fibers sounds like it should be done by a professional. Then there are the maintainous issues.

The vinly's were very nice looking too. I would consider this sometime in the future as they are all lovely (IMHO). This must be what I was looking at because the texture looks very similar.

Wouldn't it be great just to hose down the walls? I'm afraid my wood floors wouldn't appreciate it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Cattknap is an excellent arbiter of taste, I hold her in high esteem.
Taste has NOTHING to do with money.
You can say that again!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
You are so repped!

Thanks again for posting the links and for educating me on grasscloth. I've always loved the look of natural fibers and there are some gorgeous ones shown. However, I think hanging the natural fibers sounds like it should be done by a professional. Then there are the maintainous issues.

The vinly's were very nice looking too. I would consider this sometime in the future as they are all lovely (IMHO). This must be what I was looking at because the texture looks very similar.

Wouldn't it be great just to hose down the walls? I'm afraid my wood floors wouldn't appreciate it though.

You can say that again!
If you get a high enough temperature steam cleaner, you can steam your walls (and your hardwood floors).

Look into the Ladybug XLT. It does just about any surface you can think of. Even the ceiling!

Old 08-05-2011, 01:56 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,054 times
Quote:
I'm not sure how to classify tacky. Is it a mistake or a difference in taste? I guess it could be either or both.
I do, I do!
Differences in taste are one thing... but tacky, that, I can easily spot. Some people have such poor taste that even the most non-judgmental person would see the tackiness factor popping up!

And it most certainly has got NOTHING - or close to nothing - to do with money. There was a tv show a while ago about expensive houses (meaning several million ones) and tacky was their word of choice!

Some of those houses were awful, millions or no millions one couldn't pay me to live in any of them!
They all screamed "Look, look, I have money!" before one even set foot inside them. Ah, the joys of becoming a tv/music "star"...

Old 08-05-2011, 02:28 PM

501 posts, read 1,474,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
If you get a high enough temperature steam cleaner, you can steam your walls (and your hardwood floors).

Look into the Ladybug XLT. It does just about any surface you can think of. Even the ceiling!
WOW!!

I've had steam rug cleaners but didn't know there were steamers out that did hardwoods, walls & ceilings. This is awesome. I'm googling the Ladybug XLT as soon as I log off. Anything to make life easier.

Thanks for the great tip Stan4!

I'm visiting this forum more often!

Old 08-05-2011, 03:49 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,785,743 times
Honestly, I think the biggest mistake someone could make (not going to address those that are picky and/or snobby about what others like) - ANYBODY who ever bought a recliner chair/built-in toilet !!!!!!!!!!

Forgot to add: and use as a focal point in the living room, LOL

Old 08-05-2011, 06:57 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
Oh my, everyone take a deep breath.
I love it when posters come out of nowhere and try to call out the long time, well respected posters on this particular forum.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I love it when posters come out of nowhere and try to call out the long time, well respected posters on this particular forum.
Yes, because posting here for a long time is all one needs to build credibility and proves one has taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating