Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 06:41 AM

935 posts, read 3,448,226 times

Advertisements

I posted this in my other thread, but I'm not sure if anyone is seeing it. I painted the cabinet in watercolor blue, but I was worried that it was too baby blue-ish (color is on the door in the picture). I had the paint greyed down (on the drawer in the picture.

I'm to the point that I'm over-thinking it and driving myself nuts. I can't decide which I feel better about. Will the bright blue will overwhelm the room and look like baby furniture? Will the grey blue be dull and lifeless, sucking color from the room?

Please try to ignore the ugly wallpaper in my hideous rental apartment. I'm decorating for the space I will someday have, not for this current one.

Full room:

Full buffet:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 06:51 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,357,458 times
I'd go with the blue on the cabinet. It's not a bright blue by any means. The greyed down drawer looks too institutional and depressing.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,246,172 times
To tell you the truth, when I first looked at the picture and hadn't read the text yet, I didn't know they were two diff blues! So, I'd say choose whichever one you LIKE the best, altho SAYU's advice is fine also.

Also, I did read your other post, and I need to tell you that the silvery pulls (forgot the word you used) while traditional, would really look SO much better if you stick with the browns in the first picture in this post. You see, it's the browns that the blue looks so fantastic with. And so I'm just thinking a brushed bronze or whatever as pulls would look better. You could buy one of each and bring them home, put one on, and then the other, and see what I'm saying, and perhaps try with the brown choice something other than a half-cup pull.

And yes, you are getting miserable with the details on this decorating you're doing, but with that said, as long as you can at some point make up your mind and let it go, it's okay to look at everything crossways and upside down. Smile. I would like to give you one tip, perhaps. While I like the centerpiece on the table, very creative, I also think a blue cloth runner across the table might better help tone down the impact the chairs are having, just a natural weave fabric with a simple design of blue and white. If it doesn't work out there, you might be able to use it somewhere else in the room as another layer in all the design elements.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:19 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I think you're fine with either of them. I'd go with the grayer one probably, but neither one looks like the dreaded baby blue to me.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:52 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,421,375 times
I like both blues and the blue/ brown combo. You're doing a good job! Step back and relax. Also remember this advice from all of the interior decorators and designers I've ever known: the more you tweek a room the better it will look.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:47 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Paint your cabinet your chosen blue, or white. The wood color isn't talking to the rest of your furnishings. You could even add a little white to you mainly blue cabinet.

I think white (or blue) paint will improve the look of your hutch.

Add a little black to your scheme--just a little. And don't stick to one shade of light blue. It seems to me that the blue is to you like white is to many who decorate in only white tones.

Good luck. I think your room is very pretty.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:56 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,321,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Paint your cabinet your chosen blue, or white. The wood color isn't talking to the rest of your furnishings. You could even add a little white to you mainly blue cabinet.

I think white (or blue) paint will improve the look of your hutch.

Add a little black to your scheme--just a little. And don't stick to one shade of light blue. It seems to me that the blue is to you like white is to many who decorate in only white tones.

Good luck. I think your room is very pretty.
I agree 100%.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:46 AM

I decided to go with the lighter blue (watercolor blue). It means that I ruined $15 in paint and had to buy a new can. Yeah! But what is $15 in the end of the day, I'll keep the cabinet for 20 years at least.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
I like the watercolor blue. Good choice.

What color do you plan to paint the walls in your new dining room?

Old 09-12-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I like the watercolor blue. Good choice.

What color do you plan to paint the walls in your new dining room?
Either a greyer shade of blue, a creamy off-white, taupe or white. Depends on the shape of the space ultimately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating