Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 04:58 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,186,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I'm not really feeling the burgundy curtains with the navy blue bedspread. That to me seems a little forced masculine instead of a more chic, minimalist masculine. What color are the walls going to be?

I think either a blue like your original idea or a grey or natural linen color would go nicely (but I know you are looking for more high contrast)
Dark blue and burgundy don't work too well together, IMO. There is nothing to tie them together. I like the idea by the poster who linked to the West Elm curtains with dark blue and white in them, or something similar to break up the monochromatic scheme of everything else in the room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 05:39 PM

4,249 posts, read 6,932,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Dark blue and burgundy don't work too well together, IMO. There is nothing to tie them together. I like the idea by the poster who linked to the West Elm curtains with dark blue and white in them, or something similar to break up the monochromatic scheme of everything else in the room.
agreed.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:06 PM

69 posts, read 144,658 times
My latest sketches are attached.

The existing curtain rods are silver-color and I don't want to change those. I want to bring in some brass and I thought a brass rail above the headboard might look nice. The parts to build the rail are available at a reasonable cost. I attached a photo of the rail, it is available in brushed brass, which I prefer. It is 2" O.D. The polished brass in 1.5 O.D. I am checking to see if copper is available. Copper will match the lamp. However, rails on sailing ships were brass, not copper. The lamp is a reproduction of an anchor lamp used on sailing ships; it is wired for electrical power.

I hope to find a bedside table, a photo of one is attached; however, it costs $750.00. So, I need to get a better idea. I can buy the type of block and tackle used on sailing ships, and assemble them into a table. It would not have a large flat surface, but it will be sufficient for a clock, and there will be several small areas for other small items. Is that a silly idea? I spent several hours looking for side tables and didn't find a single one that appealed to me.

I know the picture should be centered on the wall, as should the bed. However, it's only me and want more room on 'my' side of the bed. So, I moved the bed. Should the picture remain centered? The rail needs to be centered over the headboard, no matter where the bed it, but what about the picture? I included sketches of each position. I know which position I prefer; which do you like?

I have been through many ideas in the past week or so, as those here who have followed my journey can attest; this time I feel the most positive about my course.
Attached Thumbnails
Minimilist Bedroom for a Single man.-file_3_110.jpg   Minimilist Bedroom for a Single man.-picture4.jpg   Minimilist Bedroom for a Single man.-picture5.jpg   Minimilist Bedroom for a Single man.-picture5b.jpg   Minimilist Bedroom for a Single man.-anchorlamp-large-edit.png  

Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 AM

This seems to be getting away from the minimalist look, which is fine, as long as it looks good. Looks like I need to replace the lampshade with a neutral color or buy a new lamp; the green does not work.

The picture:

it is on canvas, I can have the framer wrap the canvas over the edge and thus have no frame or frame it.

I'd frame it with mahogany, what are your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Minimilist Bedroom for a Single man.-deck-chair-brass-lamp.jpg  

Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 AM

Here is a photo of the chair; it comes as a pair; they are refurbished steamship deck chairs from about 1950.

30" H X 24" W X 26" D

The headboard can be either 40" or 36" I am not sure, but it seems the higher one will look better.

Note the chair height is less than the headboard height; it wont dominate; I do wish it was a different color though.
Attached Thumbnails
Minimilist Bedroom for a Single man.-silo.png  

Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,231,842 times
Don't frame it until you get your room done. That way you can see if it works unframed or you can try to match it to your final bed.

So have you bought anything yet?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,231,842 times
To whomever "rated " me and told me you don't like stripes:
Please limit your criticism to the thread, don't message me.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:57 AM

4,249 posts, read 6,932,203 times
since you seem to have a lot of different ideas in your head and are still undecided on a lot of things it seems, you should check out a site like houzz to get some inspiration. For example, the colors and textures in this piece are very masculine without screaming "single male" to me. It's masculine but chic. Masculine but not hard and boring like a lot of rooms can be that people consider "masculine".

Old 04-03-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Don't frame it until you get your room done. That way you can see if it works unframed or you can try to match it to your final bed.

So have you bought anything yet?
I placed orders for the stripped curtains, and the bedspread.

Polyester Outdoor Curtain- Nickel Grommets - Cabana Blue | Designed For Outdoors | SKU: CURCBGRP-N | Outdoor Curtains | Factory Direct Curtains

Nomad Coverlet + Shams - Deep Sea | west elm

I decided to get the rope rug, but I also want one for the area in front of the vanity sink and I need to contact the lady who makes them and ask her about size options before I place the order.

I also purchased five pieces of art for the walls.

I have not yet chosen the lamp

1. clipper ship BRASS CLIPPER SHIP LANTERNS OIL OR ELECTRIC TOUCH CONTROL (BL-838) SEEDS ETC.
2. anchor lamp Robin's Dockside Shop - Large Copper Anchor Lantern

I love clipper ships, but I like the brass lamp better. Maybe I get both.

I am close to selecting the bed.

Barcelona Platform Bed - Tiger Mahogany, Wood Beds : Charles P. Rogers Beds Direct, Makers of fine beds, mattresses and bedding since 1855

I am considering using a trunk for my clothes; suits my way of doing laundry. Thus, no dresser or chest of drawers; just don't need them.

Restored 120+ Year Old Antique Trunk in Dome Top

I will search for other trunks. Just an idea.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:31 PM

I seem to get carried away with ideas; I am sure this has not gone unnoticed. It seems I neglected my purpose. In case you can't tell, I enjoy museums, hence my penchant to collect objects of interest. And I didn't get to my Egyptian phase.

So, back to basics. I attached a sketch. Anyone have thoughts on this?

I am debating with myself on the chairs.

I think the bed-wall is done.

Three pictures are planned to be on the wall across from the headboard; evenly spaced at 24 inches. apart. The rule, if there is one, is that art on a wall needs something on the floor under it. They don't do this in museums so do I need to have anything below the art?
Attached Thumbnails
Minimilist Bedroom for a Single man.-final-4.3.1500.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating